Catholic Readers discussion

Catholic non-book-related stuff > Are Catholics being marginalized?

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Robert (new)

Robert Italia (robert-italia) | 24 comments I've posted my comments regarding this topic in my "welcome" post, but it bears repeating:

I have a genuine concern for the marginalizing of Catholics (and Christians) in our country, especially this time of the year, when saying "Merry Christmas" is considered "offensive", as are Nativity displays. Much of it comes not just from government, but from media, including books and movies that drive pop culture. Where's the push-back? I'm surprised by the lack of it (or am I unaware of it?). If you want to add your book & move suggestions, please do.

Thanks for your consideration. I look forward to reading your replies.

message 2: by Baelor (last edited Nov 20, 2013 11:45AM) (new)

Baelor | 6 comments My pushback involves ignoring or correcting the criticisms.

message 3: by Robert (new)

Robert Italia (robert-italia) | 24 comments Thanks, Baelor. I can see how "correcting" the criticisms would push back, but ignoring?

message 4: by Joseph (new)

Joseph | 36 comments I work in retail and Christmas time is when I indulge my love of classical music at work. The local classical station plays a lot of Christmas Cantatas, masses, and other sacred forms during advent, culminating with a live broadcast of A Celebration in Song from Westminster Abbey on Christmas Eve. I do this to remind people that while Christmas has been hyper commercialized and secularized, it's still a high holy day.

message 5: by Tracy (new)

Tracy | 4 comments My truck wears a "Keep Christ in Christmas" bumper magnet. When someone says 'Happy Holidays', I say "Thank you.Happy Holy-days to you! Have a Merry Christmas! God Bless you!

message 6: by Tracy (new)

Tracy | 4 comments I have the same concern Robert.

message 7: by Robert (new)

Robert Italia (robert-italia) | 24 comments Joseph wrote: "I work in retail and Christmas time is when I indulge my love of classical music at work. The local classical station plays a lot of Christmas Cantatas, masses, and other sacred forms during adven..."

Way to go, Joseph. God bless (and keep it going).

message 8: by Robert (last edited Nov 20, 2013 07:28PM) (new)

Robert Italia (robert-italia) | 24 comments Tracy wrote: "My truck wears a "Keep Christ in Christmas" bumper magnet. When someone says 'Happy Holidays', I say "Thank you.Happy Holy-days to you! Have a Merry Christmas! God Bless you!"

The perfect response. "Okay, Happy Holy-days" (out of respect for them). Then: "Have a Merry Christmas. God bless you" (for God).

Thanks for responding, Tracy. Kinda quiet around here.

message 9: by Robert (new)

Robert Italia (robert-italia) | 24 comments Tracy wrote: "My truck wears a "Keep Christ in Christmas" bumper magnet. When someone says 'Happy Holidays', I say "Thank you.Happy Holy-days to you! Have a Merry Christmas! God Bless you!"

And your bumper sticker says it all.

message 10: by Baelor (new)

Baelor | 6 comments Thanks, Baelor. I can see how "correcting" the criticisms would push back, but ignoring?

It is a matter of preserving my sanity. Responding to a post that already has 30 replies does not seem that productive to me, at least in most cases.

message 11: by Doreen (new)

Doreen Petersen Just my opinion but I think we are and being persecuted to a certain extent. I am currently rereading the Bible for my own spiritual knowledge and comfort and am being ridiculed by some friends and family members for doing so and I don't understand why. I'm not pushing anything on anyone so why should it offend anyone else?

message 12: by Robert (new)

Robert Italia (robert-italia) | 24 comments Doreen wrote: "Just my opinion but I think we are and being persecuted to a certain extent. I am currently rereading the Bible for my own spiritual knowledge and comfort and am being ridiculed by some friends and..."

Because it's becoming a "popular" thing to do. So if you want to be "popular" . . .

In the end, it really does matter what you believe. If your friends and relatives choose not to, well, that's up to them. But they should not ridicule you for your beliefs. That's not what this country is about. Or, at least, it wasn't.

Merry Christmas, Doreen.

message 13: by Doreen (new)

Doreen Petersen Robert wrote: "Doreen wrote: "Just my opinion but I think we are and being persecuted to a certain extent. I am currently rereading the Bible for my own spiritual knowledge and comfort and am being ridiculed by s..."

Thank you Robert. I totally agree with you.

message 14: by Doreen (new)

Doreen Petersen Carlos wrote: "Push back by always saying 'Merry Christmas!' with every ounce of cheer you can muster, especially in response to the generic 'happy holidays.'

If you want to shove back, give them a copy of my no..."

Carlos, I always say Merry Christmas to those who say Happy Holidays. I will definitely check out your book. Thanks for the heads up!

message 15: by Libby (new)

Libby (elibbabeth) | 4 comments My husband brought up a great point when I was getting fired up about the "Happy Holidays" things. Catholics *do* celebrate quite a few Holy Days during this time of the year besides Christmas, (Feast of the Immaculate Conception, Epiphany, Octave of Christmas, etc.) So, yes, I definitely agree with you that Catholics are being marginalized (especially practicing ones and then sometimes by our own kind :/ ), and I think our way of pushing back is to embrace our Catholic identity unabashedly in these circumstances. So, when people say Happy Holidays, we can say, "Yeah! Happy Feast of the Immaculate Conception!" It's a little gutsy, but the Church and its flock needs a little fervor and zeal if you ask me. John 15:16-20 is a great reminder for Christ's mission for us here on earth. It's always a great comfort for me. So, with that, Happy Holy Days! ;) JMJ

message 16: by Enrique (new)

Enrique | 3 comments I would be happy - ecstatic! - if this was the only way I felt marginalized in this culture.

message 17: by Joseph (new)

Joseph | 36 comments Libby, I actually tried your idea on the happy holidays thing at work today. A customer wished me "happy holidays" and I came back with "Yes, Happy St Nicholas' Day." She looked very excited that I'd thrown that out there.

message 18: by Billie (new)

Billie (billiekaren) | 18 comments Good for you, Joseph! When I get a "Happy Holidays", I look at them and say, "Merry Christmas"!
I guess some of them working in stores are told not to say it, but I usually get a smile back when I say it back to them.

message 19: by Libby (new)

Libby (elibbabeth) | 4 comments That's awesome, Joseph! The more we live and love our faith, the more people come to see and know it! Way to evangelize! You never know what that happy salutation could have done for that lady, ya know? Maybe she went home and googled St. Nicholas and found out what an awesome saint he was (I.e. - punching Arias in the face, resurrecting the three murdered boys, etc.). The Holy Ghost converts souls in so many ways. I tip my hat to you - keep it up! :)

message 20: by Mary Beth (new)

Mary Beth Miranda (maria926) | 1 comments Joseph wrote: "I work in retail and Christmas time is when I indulge my love of classical music at work. The local classical station plays a lot of Christmas Cantatas, masses, and other sacred forms during adven..."

I love this non-aggressive way of pushing back. I found myself arguing with angry atheists on Huffington Post religion and I became scared that I was becoming like most of them, read angry, sarcastic, snarky, etc. it wasn't good for me and I knew that it was my son's announcement that he no longer had Faith that drove me there. I know there is a more loving way to do it. Live my life, pray, be a good example, and perhaps play beautiful "Christmas" music.

message 21: by Lisa, Group handmaid (new)

Lisa | 168 comments Mod
(Just a small note: not everyone on Goodreads is from the US - which is, I assume, where the OP comes from. This really is a massively important topic, and I'd love to jump in, I'd ask everyone in future to please think about their audience. Phrases like 'our country' are ambiguous at best, and to the very sensitive can come across as somewhat elitist. Please keep this in mind when posting.)

message 22: by Zelie (new)

Zelie (zelie01) The answer to your question is yes. Catholics have been reduced to a remnant, and only Catholics are the true Christians by the way. This is happening because we are in the end times. To understand exactly how close we are to the end please watch this video-Is the World about to End? - The Apocalypse Explained?-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cn9t0...