Movies We've Just Watched discussion

Great Movies that need to be watched only once

Comments Showing 1-33 of 33 (33 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Paul (new)

Paul Duncan (jpaulduncan) | 68 comments * Saving Private Ryan (for many, many reasons - the landing, the murder of the jewish soldier in the building with the knife....)
* Requiem For A Dream (contrary to my other post, I really only needed to see this once)

Others?

message 2: by Tracee (new)

Tracee (kickassduke) Honestly, I think Titanic needs to be seen once, and then never again.

message 3: by Alison (last edited Feb 10, 2008 10:11PM) (new)

Alison Two that come to mind for me are "Boys Don't Cry" and "Million Dollar Baby". They were GREAT movies, but I have no need to see them again. They were just too painful for me. Actually "Mystic River" and "Requiem for a Dream" would fit into this category, too. You recognize them as good, but they're just so emotionally draining. (Paul you mentioned Requiem's mother in the asylum...I was thinking more of that giant infected scab from shooting up...Yuk!)

Then you've got the epics that are good but you can't really watch over and over...Laurence of Arabia, Ben Hur. Others may disagree...

message 4: by Lindsey (new)

Lindsey (mrazfan) | 19 comments I feel that way about American History X. I love that movie but I don't feel the need to watch it over again, it was very powerful & has stuck with me just from watching it once.

message 5: by Anna (new)

Anna (olive415) I totally agree about Requiem for a Dream. I've only seen it once and even thinking about it grosses me out. It did such a great job of showing how awful addiction really is.

I would also say Schindler's List. I think it is a great and impactful film, but it is so emotionally draining.

message 6: by Paul (new)

Paul Duncan (jpaulduncan) | 68 comments Oh, I didn't forget about the scab... bleh! I told my wife that our daughter is seeing that movie when she's 12. Put her on the straight and narrow right-quick.

Never saw Boys Don't Cry - I heard what it was about and the story alone made me cringe at humanity. Didn't need 2 hours of a play-by-play reminder.

Million Dollar Baby & Titanic: agree. Especially with the latter - it would be hard for me to watch it without thinking of all the parody that followed.

The thing about Million Dollar Baby was the turn the movie took - totally unexpected and amazing.

American History X - completely agree. What he did to that black dude on the curb has forced me to never see curbs the same way. Chills.

Mystic River? HATED that movie. Personally found it so over-the-top and predictable.

message 7: by Heather (new)

Heather (adorabubbles) | 8 comments i was going to add schindler's list but i see it was just added! anyway, very powerful movie, but i have yet to see it again since my original theatre viewing. felt the same way about saving private ryan, for sure.

message 8: by Bonnie (new)

Bonnie Got to add Crash to this list...did it bother anyone else like it bothered me??

message 9: by Alison (new)

Alison Crash was pretty rough. Especially the guy and his young daughter...just thought of Babel, but wouldn't really call it "great." UGH! When the housekeeper was lost in the desert....endless.

I saw Schindler's List in the theater and didn't think I would see it again (for above mentioned reasons). But I did, about two years ago. My gosh! It's a perfect movie...I think one of the best ever filmed. But, very very heartbreaking.

Also "Traffic"...remember that? Where the pretty young girl is sleeping with the drug dealer for drugs? And her dad (Michael Douglas) comes and finds her? Too "real" for me.

message 10: by Cliff (new)

Cliff | 46 comments Requiem For A Dream was an incredible movie. I wouldn't want to see it again.

message 11: by Paul (new)

Paul Duncan (jpaulduncan) | 68 comments Traffic! GREAT movie. I wouldn't mind seeing that again. Benicio Del Toro was amazing to me.

The thing I find about movies that have that kind of impact on me is that the impact deminishes on subsequent viewings (unlike a really great insightful book for some odd reason).

It usually goes like this for me:

Viewing 1: Amazing plot twist that throws the whole concept of what you thought the movie was on it's head (e.g. Fight Club, Vanilla Sky, Usual Suspects, or Sixth Sense).

Viewing 2: Realizations that the whole twist was right there in front of my stupid face if I'd just paid closer attention.

Viewing 3: Yeh. I get it. He's you, frozen, Keyser Soze, or dead. NEXT.

It saddens me.

message 12: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) The Passion of the Christ, definitely.

message 13: by Alison (new)

Alison Just thought of another one...did anyone see 21 grams? Saw it once, and I was over it.

Yeah, there's no time like the first time on those plot-driven movies. Like "No Country" will never be the same for me as it was that first time I saw it. But that's what makes the first experience so memorable. When we were leaving, I said, "I wish I could see it again for the first time."

Servius  Heiner  | 80 comments I don't think Fight Club should be on your list Paul... There were a lot of "read between the lines" situations; I don't think you can absorb the whole thing in one sitting. Just me though. I understand a lot of people thought the movie was about meaningless man violence. I can defiantly relate to those feelings, but the plot was a lot deeper then it appears at first glance.

message 15: by Paul (new)

Paul Duncan (jpaulduncan) | 68 comments Nick - I agree it takes at least two viewings - but after that? Don't get me wrong: incredibly entertaining and I agree that there's much, much more to it than "meaningless man violence", but my point was that I didn't really gain any more insight after that.

Maybe I'm shallow?

Probably.

message 16: by Anna (new)

Anna (olive415) My husband and I were talking about this topic last night and he reminded be about Seven. I think it's a great movie, but those images are burned in my brain.

message 17: by Paul (new)

Paul Duncan (jpaulduncan) | 68 comments "What's in the box?"

I agree with you, Olive. Esp. the dude strapped to the bed... gads.

message 18: by Shannon (last edited Feb 13, 2008 01:12PM) (new)

Shannon  (giraffe_days) Some of these have already been mentioned, but anyway:

Boys Don't Cry
Requiem for a Dream
Brazil (except I've watched it several times)
Cube
Mulholland Drive
Blue Velvet
American History X
Apocalypse Now
Full Metal Jacket
The Proposition (wonderful movie though!)

Also, if the topic were "crap but classic...", I'd say Predator and the first Rambo movie - watched them, know what the deal is, happy never to see another one again. Same goes for Titanic.

message 19: by Mimi (new)

Mimi | 9 comments I am Sam

message 20: by Paul (new)

Paul Duncan (jpaulduncan) | 68 comments Meh. I think Sean Penn is very over-rated. That whole movie reeked of "oscar-bait".

Assuming that's how one spells "reeked", that is.

message 21: by melbourne (new)

melbourne (cocho) | 80 comments I second several that have been mentioned:

Full Metal Jacket
Pi
Requiem for a Dream (Rough)
Irreversible (extremely rough)
Old Boy (not for the faint of heart)
Blue Velvet
Henry Portrait of a Serial Killer (I wouldn't have even watched this if it wasn't for a class)

Titanic (3 hours I will never get back - terribly overrated)
Crash (also terribly overrated)

message 22: by Dorothy (new)

Dorothy (dmandujano) | 5 comments Schindler's List - powerful movie but could not watch again.

message 23: by Shannon (new)

Shannon (shannondunneyahoocom) | 1 comments Totally agree about Seven - in fact I am not sure I should've seen it in the first place...creepy images, but Kevin Spacey was amazing.

message 24: by Jamie (new)

Jamie Felton (jamiefelton) Old Boy is completely insane, but I feel like I needed to see it a couple of times to really understand the big picture.
The Woodsman is a good candidate. It's kind of a sensitive topic that I think people should be aware of, but watching it again makes me feel anxious. It's a little too creepy.

message 25: by John (last edited Mar 08, 2008 09:39PM) (new)

John | 14 comments Has anyone mentioned United 93 yet? That was probably the best movie of 2006 IMO (with the possible exception of Pan's Labyrinth), but boy was that painful to watch.

I have to admit though, I am a firm believer that any great film is worth seeing again -- even the really disturbing ones. It's just a matter of being in the right frame of mind - which can be hard when you know what's coming.

message 26: by Paul (new)

Paul Duncan (jpaulduncan) | 68 comments Agreed on "Schindler's List". I love that the only color in that movie was the red dress worn by that Jewish child; such deep impact when you see it later in the pile of corpses.

message 27: by Cliff (new)

Cliff | 46 comments I agree with John. Even though its painful to watch Flight 93, the movie can easily pull you in. When even I catch it, deep down (I know this sounds crazy) I wish for a miracle to alter the ending of the film!

message 28: by Claudine (new)

Claudine (cmmparks) | 4 comments No Country for Old Men

message 29: by George (new)

George | 951 comments Ok, I'll toss in Savages. Very good acting across the board, but watching the father dissolve into senility once more is beyond me. can't imagine why anyone would buy it on DVD.

message 30: by Becky (new)

Becky | 51 comments Das Experiment a German flick that I left holes in my brothers arm from being so mad! It is an similar take to the Manhattan Project. An amazing movie and I love the lead actor! I don't think I could ever watch it again!

message 31: by Jenn (new)

Jenn | 99 comments Sophie's Choice

message 32: by Tera Marie (new)

Tera Marie I would surely say The Passion and Sophie's Choice. I completely disagree about Sean Penn...that man is a genius!

message 33: by Viviana (new)

Viviana | 105 comments I still have to see some of the movies you mentioned up there, i.e. Crash,Traffic,Save Ryan,Fight Club,and Requiem for a Dream (this one I can't recollect to any out here, title translation problems, you know?) I'll, may be, see Traffic and Crash since I have them.As for Fight Club, I don't like boxing (even though I liked the Rocky 1 and Million dollar Baby)-
I totally agree with Titanic, saw it in theater in London just because it was on top -list,because it seemed it was a "must" and because it was an occasion to sit in the "greatest theater" ever.
Once was enough, never saw it again.
-Passion of Christ,definitely no thanks.
-Boy's don't cry- great, saw it few months ago, once is fairly enough.
- Mystic river, I liked it very much, cannot say if I would see it again
-Babel, loved it but once is ok
- Schindler, sorry, but I've seen it already 3/4 times, and I never get tired
-No country for Old men, haven't got the courage yet to see it.
have no brain now (it's almost 11pm)to search for other titles but thanks, I'll go on reading you for ispiration. LOL