The Goldfinch The Goldfinch discussion

Theo getting an iPhone *warning-possible spoilers*

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Eden Not sure if anyone else who has read this noticed, but Theo gets an iPhone when he's 15 and then later it's mentioned that he bumps into Platt eight years later. Am I missing something? Seems like an author error wanting to get with modern times but the iphone hasn't even been out more than 7 years. I don't know why, but this inaccuracy bugs me. Great story though so far.

message 2: by Anita (new) - added it

Anita Don't remember the timing, but I'm surprised the editors didn't catch that!

Tiffany There were lots of things like that. I think the whole book was supposed to be set in some vaguely "modern/contemporary" time or just "now" - and I like the way it was done.

message 4: by Anita (new) - added it

Anita I returned the book to the library, so I couldn't double check, but I do remember thinking while reading, "what year is this supposed to be" not because of the iphone but other things as Tiffany mentioned.

June yes anita, exactly what i was thinking……my thought on the timeline (based on no knowledge),was that it was written years ago. and just before being released someone went through the book and tried to update it….maybe lol

Bjorn I just figured most of the book was set in the near future. 2018-ish. Or are we assuming iPhones will be gone by then? :)

Monica Agree. I think the ending of the book is set in the future .. and his childhood is supposed to be in the current day. Or we aren't supposed to worry about it.

message 8: by Anita (new) - added it

Anita "Or we aren't supposed to worry about it."

lol Don't we all sometimes overthink a book? As far as the Tiffany mention, that fit with Hobie's working with antiques. Much of the lingo regarding the antiques seemed to be researched very well.

Cindy Eden wrote: "Not sure if anyone else who has read this noticed, but Theo gets an iPhone when he's 15 and then later it's mentioned that he bumps into Platt eight years later. Am I missing something? Seems like ..."

There is so much detail in this book that I can see why one could get stuck on something like this but I do not think any inconsistencies detracts from the beautiful writing and/or great plot and "messages" of the book. Once in awhile I thought there might be an inconsistencies here or there but in the end I do not think it matters. It is fiction after all. :-)

James (JD) Dittes I felt that the initial action at the Met was very present-day and the plot edged into the future. Forget the iPhone, Great Recession-Era Las Vegas is a far more obvious placement with its streets of empty and half-finished houses. But the setting isn't futuristic, so Tartt's Amsterdam (the most likely to display 2020s-style elements) is everyday.

Incidentally, Ginia Bellefonte, in last Sunday's New York Times, postulated that Tartt's Manhattan was a place from the 1970s, http://www.nytimes.com/2013/12/01/nyr...

Daniel Olson Another thing that "dates" the later sections of "The Goldfinch" is Boris' reference to the Harry Potter series as "those old books," one of many wonderful details in the book that made its length almost irrelevant while reading.