The Evolution of Science Fiction discussion

Group Reads 2014 > Nominations for January 2014

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jo (last edited Nov 22, 2013 11:14PM) (new)

Jo | 1089 comments For these nominations we will cover 1921-1930. You can nominate a book or collection of short stories and vote. You don't need to vote for your nomination, but if you do not please let it be known what you want to vote for. The thread will close at the end of the month then the top 4 nominations will be voted on by the group.

Currently nominations are;We. - Yevgeny Zamyatin
Thuvia, Maid of Mars - Edgar Rice Burroughs
The World Below - S Fowler Wright
Last and First Men - Olaf Stapledon
Deluge- S Fowler Wright

Other books mentioned but currently no nominations
The Girl in the Golden Atom - Ray Cummings
The Clockwork Man E V Odle

message 2: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 4027 comments Mod
Here's an interesting link that lists a lot of the big happenings of the 20's, including the major SF books & films.
http://www.magicdragon.com/UltimateSF...

My nomination is for Thuvia, Maid of Mars by Edgar Rice Burroughs. While it is part of the Barsoom series, it stands alone quite well.

message 3: by David (new)

David Merrill | 240 comments The World Below by S. Fowler WrightThe World Below

message 4: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Mccafferty | 1 comments How about Last and First Men by Olaf Stapledon

message 5: by Pickle (new)

Pickle | 45 comments Lisa wrote: "How about Last and First Men by Olaf Stapledon"

i'd love to read that though i expect it to be quite a difficult read.

message 6: by David (last edited Nov 21, 2013 09:34PM) (new)

David Merrill | 240 comments I came close to nominating Last and First Men, but went with The World Below. There were a lot of important early SF works from this period to choose from. I also thought of nominating RUR.

message 7: by Aaron (new)

Aaron Meyer (loptsson) | 3 comments How about Deluge by S Fowler Wright (my choice) or The Girl in the golden atom by Ray Cummings, or The Clockwork Man by E V Odle

message 8: by Jo (new)

Jo | 1089 comments All good choices so far. We now have 5 nominations and can only poll 4. At present all have one nomination each except Last and First Men which has 2. So if you've not already made a nomination please post your preference (or feel free to nominate something else.)

message 9: by Jim (new)

Why can we only poll 4?

message 10: by Jo (new)

Jo | 1089 comments Jim wrote: "Why can we only poll 4?"

I'm only following what was written in the previous threads and normally 4 is the default in the goodreads polls. It seems you can add additional responses in the poll but this maybe a new thing.

I will open a new thread to see what the group think of having more than 4 nominations and the general things this may lead to and how to deal with them (e.g. too many books by the same author, multiple winners etc.)

As i'm only acting as moderator while Dan is busy we will need his input but if he does not have time to get back before the end of the month and the general opinion of the group is to put all the nominations in the poll then we can make an exception this month.

message 11: by David (new)

David Hauntz You boys need to read Jack McDEvitt

message 12: by Jim (new)

I've made polls for as little as 2 & not sure what the top number is - maybe 30 odd. I remember being very tired of typing when I was done. They just give you 4 blanks to start with. It's not even a suggestion, more of a programmer's default.