Vayanashala discussion

A Mystery of Mythologies

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lajeesh (new)

Lajeesh | 0 comments @vandana nice obeservation

message 2: by Deepu (new)

Deepu George (deepsreal) | 1745 comments Vandana there are many things common in mythologies. That is for those who look for similarities. Have u heard of the nohas arc in bible. Similar stories are there in all mythologies . I think the Indian counter part is the Malsya avatara story . Am I right.?

message 3: by Deepak (new)

Deepak | 3 comments Well, there are evidences of trade relationships between Indian and Greek cities. The invasion of Alexander had left a considerable number of Greeks in India and they have greatly influenced our art and architecture over the years. They might have also influenced our myths and vice versa . The origin of puranas cannot be fixed to a specific time period but it is widely perceived to be during the 4th century B.C.E.
The more recent similarities might have been due to the trade and extended relationships between the civilizations.

Greeks as well as pre-vedic Hinduism was pagan in nature. So the major natural forces easily captured their imaginations. Lightning,sun,sea,fertility etc. would be top on anyone's list.Or Maybe i'm pragmatic and skeptical. Well who knows?

message 4: by Aravind (new)

Aravind P | 18 comments History of humans date back to about 10000 BC. The cultural evolution had been a long and slow process. The Homo Sapien appears to have migrated a long(and warred amongst each other) distance before settling down. Hence all the understanding of nature and creation of such 'totems' had been a collective process. Our recorded cultural history only dates from ancient period which starts with the empires and hence it might appear that the culture popped up just then, and the cultural history of pre-historic period is still primitive and vague and still less explored by culturalists and linguists.

message 5: by Deepu (new)

Deepu George (deepsreal) | 1745 comments Agree with Aravind

message 6: by Deepu (new)

Deepu George (deepsreal) | 1745 comments Vandana I was not talking about Noha n Mathsyavathara. In Nohas story the God himself asks Noha to build a big ship to save himself at that time of a abig flood that was going to happen. In mathsyavathara the god himself comes n saves the just king and sages at the time of Tsunami or a big flood . they r saved in a boat. The similarities lies in the just people peing saved at the time of a flood. there r stories in other parts of the world similiar to these. What I meant was does that mean that there had been a big flood at somepart of the remote history of man kind? ??

message 7: by Deepu (new)

Deepu George (deepsreal) | 1745 comments I mean are the myths exaggerated accounts of what really happen

message 8: by Deepu (new)

Deepu George (deepsreal) | 1745 comments doesnt the myths have some amount of truths attatched with it? That is what I believe. I dont think it is just an expression of insecurities of man kind

message 9: by Deepu (new)

Deepu George (deepsreal) | 1745 comments . The myths always will have some relation to the way people live , their surroundings and some part of their history in it. Myths cannot be something that is just cooked up. Ya it has stories telling the people what is good n bad, evil n god. The stories change somewhat as they pass down each generations. N trough each generations something gets added to the old gems. It may the happenings in that generations or just ideas...n so on.

message 10: by Deepu (new)

Deepu George (deepsreal) | 1745 comments Ya but I know u were not hinting at what is mythology but about the oneness of humanrace. Agree on u totally on that.

message 11: by Aravind (new)

Aravind P | 18 comments I think what makes myths is the narrative, which lets us study the social and political structure of the society of the particular period. Most of the myths have thus shifted their shapes as it got retold by various societies. Hence one cannot take them for their face value.
Myths come under general Folklore genre(if one could call it a genre). These are the biggest source for historical studies. Always an interesting area.