Romance Readers Reading Challenges discussion

RRR Discussions & Top-Lists > DC: Book Settings - Europe

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 9327 comments In preparation for the Armchair Travelers Challenge, I'm running several DC threads where we can put together a list of books or series that are set in the different continents or European cities.

I, for one, will be checking these threads for suggestions.

For this one, please make sure to post which European country it took place.

message 2: by ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ (last edited Jun 16, 2009 11:43AM) (new)

ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ (briansgirlkate) I'm using a 90's Harlequin series called Postcards from Europe.
I have:

Tower of Shadows by Sara Craven #1708 (France)
No Promise of Love by Lilian Peake #1700 (Switzerland)
Viking Magic by Angela Wells #1691 (Denmark)
Touch of Aphrodite by Joanna Mansell #1684 (Cyprus)
Sudden Fire by Elizabeth Oldfield #1676 (Portugal)
Yesterday's Affair by Sally Wentworth #1668 (United Kingdom)
Roman Spring by Sanda Marton #1660 (Italy)
The Bruges Engagement by Madeleine Ker #1650 (Belgium)
Designed to Annoy by Elizabeth Oldfield #1636 (Germany)
Mask of Deception by Sara Wood #1628 (Italy)
The Alpha Man by Kay Thorpe #1619 (Greece)

The ones I'm missing that I know of:

Dark Sunlight by Patricia Wilson #1644 (Spain)
Riddles in Rome by Penn Mullin (Italy)
The London Connection by Penn Mullin (England)
The Clues in Madrid by Penn Mullin (Spain)
Passport to Paris by Penn Mullin (France)
Secrets of the Matternhorn by Penn Mullin (Switzerland?)

I was also going to read as an add-on... Under the Tuscan Sun by Frances Mayes (Italy)

Another option is the YA series Students Across the Seven Seas (S.A.S.S.) about foreign exchange students.

Now and Zen by Linda Gerber (Japan) *Goodreads Author
Westminster Abby by Micol Ostow (England)
Getting the Boot by Peggy Guthart Strauss (Italy)
Pardon My French by Cathy Hapka (France)
Swede Dreams by Eva Apelqvist (Sweden)
French Kissmas by Cathy Hapka (France)
The Sound of Munich by Suzanne Nelson (Germany)
Heart and Salsa by Suzanne Nelson (Spain)
The Finnish Line by Linda Gerber (Finland) *Goodreads Author
The Great Call of China by Cynthea Liu (China) *Goodreads Author
Girl Overboard by Aimee Ferris (Dominican Republic - Carribean)
When Irish Guys Are Smiling by Suzanne Supplee (Ireland)
Spain or Shine by Michelle Jellen (Spain)

message 4: by Lori (last edited Jun 17, 2009 07:32AM) (new)

Lori  (moderatrixlori) Never one to recommend anything "normal", I have a series on my TBR shelf that is M/M/F set in regency England. The first book in the series is The Courage to Love

Another M/M/F set in England in the medieval era is A Knight For All

And if 3 is not your thing and you like just M/M, another regency era book is Another Chance and for more knights, The Squire

message 5: by Kasia (new)

Kasia Lori wrote: "Never one to recommend anything "normal".."

And that's why I love ya. LOL

message 6: by ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ (last edited Jun 17, 2009 08:11AM) (new)

ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ (briansgirlkate) Unless it was changed, when she set up this challenge she specified for Option #2:
Tour the Continent: (Europe excluding the UK, Ireland, and Iceland) Read books set in 7 countries scattered around Europe. So she's wanting us to read mainland Europe. Perhaps it's too easy to find books set in England.

message 7: by Lori (new)

Lori  (moderatrixlori) Briansgirl wrote: "Unless it was changed, when she set up this challenge she specified for Option #2:
Tour the Continent: (Europe excluding the UK, Ireland, and Iceland) Read books set in 7 countries scattered arou..."

Oops! Sorry. That's what I get for not reading the fine print.

message 8: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (last edited Jun 17, 2009 08:45AM) (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 9327 comments No worries about those who recommended books set in the British Isles. I almost missed that clause myself.

The book I'm currently reading, Zen and the Art of Vampires by Katie MacAlister is set in Iceland.

Too bad, I'm already reading it...should have waited for the 21st..LOL

message 9: by Kasia (new)

Kasia Briansgirl wrote: "Unless it was changed, when she set up this challenge she specified for Option #2:
Tour the Continent: (Europe excluding the UK, Ireland, and Iceland) Read books set in 7 countries scattered arou..."

But there are no such restrictions for option #1, so you know for Europe there you could use something British, and it would be a fair game :D

message 10: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (last edited Jun 17, 2009 09:32AM) (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 9327 comments Good point, Kasia.

And just letting everybody know in advance for July, UK will be our country of choice for our Geography category.

ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ (briansgirlkate) Thanks Yz. I'm actually doing both option 1 and option 2, so put a british book for Europe in Option 1 since it's not allowed in Option 2.

ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ (briansgirlkate) As someone mentioned in another thread, all the James Bond books by Ian Fleming work for England/UK. Depending on the book, they might also work for other European countries as well. On Her Majesty's Secret Service takes place I think in the Swiss Alps (or close by).