Nora Roberts Groupies discussion

Archive > News from her blog: Timing of her releases

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jonetta (new)

Jonetta (ejaygirl) | 6005 comments Mod
Here's what Nora had to say...

Hi to all!

I wanted to address the wantings and wishings that the trilogy books come out all at once, or one right after the next. I’ve twice done trilogies that came out in sequential months. It was fun, and a challenge. However, in general, my trilogies span six month per book. The first reason for this is — pretty simply — I have to write the books. I’m a fairly speedy writer in the big scheme, but not so speedy I can write as fast as you guys can read. There’s the research, the head-scratching, the blank-staring, the what-comes-nexting and everything else that goes into getting a story down. And even after all that, the book must be edited, put in production, a cover must be created and so on. This all takes considerable time.

Add in, I don’t just write the trilogies, but two-full length In Death books and a stand-alone Roberts hardcover every year–with a novella tossed in now and again. They all take time, for me to write, for the publisher to produce and schedule.

Even if I rushed it all, or was somehow able to write 24/7, ignoring actual life, I just couldn’t write as fast as you can read!

It’s incredibly flattering, exceptionally satisfying for me, as a writer, to know readers are eager and anxious for my next book. It’s such a tremendous compliment. I wish I could give you more, but I can only thank you for the compliment, and continue to write the best books I can write, at the pace I can write them.

When the wait’s over, I hope you’ll enjoy Shadow Spell as much as you have Dark Witch. And when THAT wait’s over, I hope you’ll enjoy Blood Magick–which I’m working on right now. In fact, I’d better get back to it.

message 2: by Talya (new)

Talya | 740 comments Mod
Thanks for sharing Jonetta! It's great to hear Nora's take on this. I don't mind the wait when I stop and think of all her hard work that goes into the process.

message 3: by Jonetta (new)

Jonetta (ejaygirl) | 6005 comments Mod
I've got so many books to read the time actually flies for me:)

message 4: by Quynh (new)

Quynh | 218 comments It amazes me the number of books she writes and releases per year. Some authors have 1-2 all year and here's Nora with 5-6! The wait is hard, but when you look back time does fly by really fast. Plus, it gives me time to catch up and discover other books to read. So it's kind of a win-win situation. I rather she takes the time to plan, plot, and perfect a book than writing one so fast and rushed the quality is lost.

message 5: by Sandra (new)

Sandra Hoover (sandrahoover) | 187 comments Same with me...so many other books to read that sometimes the next release actually slips up on me! Just keep 'em coming! :)

message 6: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 219 comments While I devour everything Nora writes, I do get a bit burnt out if I read a trilogy back-to-back-to-back. So, the 6 month spacing of the releases actually makes me appreciate it more and I am less critical of the bit of redundancy necessary in a series to remind the reader where they left off.