Jane Austen discussion

If you could marry some one from literature...

Comments Showing 1-50 of 151 (151 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisadannatt) | 148 comments I saw this question on another post, no-one recognized who I picked!
So, since we are 'thinking women' (& men), I thought I would ask the question here: if you could marry someone from literature, who would it be and why?

message 2: by Sophie (new)

Sophie | 1458 comments Who was your man than Lisa?

well predictably for me Mr Darcy ... Why? Because he is Mr Darcy. But no, on a more serious note, I share many similar qualities with Elizabeth Bennet and so he would be the man to most compliment my character. (Not to mention my wish is to live in the country (The Lakes, Peaks or Yorkshire Dales)). I could keep going and going about why - but really, I am very much like Elizabeth and therefore Mr Darcy would be my perfect match. I would end up listing most of Lizzy's qualities and enjoyable hobbies (like taking long walks)

message 3: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisadannatt) | 148 comments Soph, I knew you'd be first to post and what you'd say! A friend of mine named her dog Mr Darcy!

message 4: by Maria (new)

Maria | 94 comments Same for me! I love Mr. Darcy. He won my heart long time ago and I cannot find a man like him yet (I think I will never find a real man like him!) Anyway, I love his good heart, the way he loves Elizabeth and the affection he has for his sister. He is perfect to me despite his flaws!

message 5: by Sophie (new)

Sophie | 1458 comments You know me too well Lisa ;)

Exactly Maria! He is so loving - towards Elizabeth, his sister, his tenants! Lets hope we both can find a Mr Darcy! I am still looking and also am despairing!

message 6: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisadannatt) | 148 comments So the character I have a crush on is the complete opposite of my husband, but his dialogue is brilliant! Sadly, he is a bit of an anti-hero; Edward Rochester from Jane Eyre

message 7: by Terri (new)

Terri Edwards (teresaluvsbooks) | 7 comments Lisa wrote: "So the character I have a crush on is the complete opposite of my husband, but his dialogue is brilliant! Sadly, he is a bit of an anti-hero; Edward Rochester from Jane Eyre"

Same with me, Mr. Rochester it is.

message 8: by Sophie (new)

Sophie | 1458 comments Mr Rochester. Interesting choice. I personally don't see the appeal but I have never enjoyed Bronte as much. I can sort of understand it though. He is the hero or the story and I don't agree he is an anti-hero!

message 9: by Maria (new)

Maria | 94 comments Soph wrote: "You know me too well Lisa ;)

Exactly Maria! He is so loving - towards Elizabeth, his sister, his tenants! Lets hope we both can find a Mr Darcy! I am still looking and also am despairing!"

Ahahah I am despairing too, Sophie! At least he exists in our dreams :)

Rochester is a great man too!

message 10: by Terri (new)

Terri Edwards (teresaluvsbooks) | 7 comments Darcy is wonderful too, but I've always been one to go for the rather nonconventional types, in real life as well. Not bad boys, but not someone you would necessarily call handsome either. However, I think Rochester IS rather a bad boy, and it's the idea of being able to attract someone so brooding and seemingly unattainable and cold, that melts me :)

message 11: by Sophie (new)

Sophie | 1458 comments Is definitely is a bad boy when you place him next to Darcy! Great reasoning there Teresa!

message 12: by Anne (new)

Anne | 81 comments I've always preferred Rochester to Darcy, mainly because I have this thing for bad boys and rakes in stories, but when if I were to actually marry someone from literature I think I would go for someone more of the perfect gentleman genre, like Mr. Knightley :) I don't have Emma's personality at all though ;)

message 13: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisadannatt) | 148 comments And we seem to be agreeing...
Then I asked my husband who he'd choose, 'But I've got you, you're far better than someone from a book.' Yup, far better than any 'bad boy' with good dialogue.
It's cool to see how choices differ.
Another attractive male character was Thornton from North & South.

message 14: by Sophie (new)

Sophie | 1458 comments Oh that is adorable! *sigh*....

I was about to say that actually! Darcy and Thornton are similar characters - either would do me ;)

message 15: by Maria (new)

Maria | 94 comments I knew you would choose Mr. Knightley, Anne :) He is a real gentleman, good choice!

Teresa, I loved your thought! Mr. Rochester is charming because of his cold and distant behaviour, at least at the beginning! I love how sweet he is inside :)

message 16: by Maria (new)

Maria | 94 comments Lisa wrote: "And we seem to be agreeing...
Then I asked my husband who he'd choose, 'But I've got you, you're far better than someone from a book.' Yup, far better than any 'bad boy' with good dialogue.
It's co..."

Lisa, you lucky girl! You have the sweetest husband!

How can we forget Mr. Thornton? He is wonderful!

message 17: by Anne (new)

Anne | 81 comments Lisa, that is adorable!! Lucky you!! :)

Oooh Mr. Thornton!! That is another hot one! ;)

message 18: by Anne (new)

Anne | 81 comments Maria wrote: "I knew you would choose Mr. Knightley, Anne :) He is a real gentleman, good choice!

Hehehe ;) I know! lol

message 19: by Anne (new)

Anne | 81 comments Henry Tilney wouldn't be a bad husband either! And he understands muslin so that's a plus. :D lol

message 20: by QNPoohBear (new)

QNPoohBear | 675 comments No one. I prefer to remain a spinster. If I had to choose someone from Jane Austen though I'd choose Frederick Wentworth. That letter gets me every time.

message 21: by Sophie (new)

Sophie | 1458 comments I don't know what I will do if I do not marry! (I'm sounding like Marianne Dashwood aren't I?!)
I do understand some people's wish to remain unmarried and I admire them - I do not have that strength of independence for spinsterhood. In fact, the idea of being protected and looked after by a gentleman is very appealing to me, although I know this is not the case for everyone! (I'd have made a rubbish suffragette! ;))

Oh to have a letter like his written to me someday ...

message 22: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisadannatt) | 148 comments Soph, there's nice guys out there, wondering where the nice girls are. I'm related to at least four of them, and all I hear is- why do girls always go for the bad guy?

message 23: by Sophie (new)

Sophie | 1458 comments Well lets hope at least one of them cross my path as I am not looking for a bad guy! :)

message 24: by Anne (new)

Anne | 81 comments Soph wrote: "I don't know what I will do if I do not marry! (I'm sounding like Marianne Dashwood aren't I?!)
I do understand some people's wish to remain unmarried and I admire them - I do not have that strengt..."

I agree!! :) I don't think I'm made for spinsterhood either! Like you said, I like the idea of someone caring and looking after me!

message 25: by Sophie (new)

Sophie | 1458 comments ^_^

message 26: by Lorraine (new)

Lorraine (saanichlori) | 48 comments After seeing Northanger Abbey with JJ Feild, I think I'd like to marry Henry Tilney!

message 27: by Sophie (new)

Sophie | 1458 comments He was wonderful in that film! I think he would be a fun boyfriend for a while... I can't imagine marrying him strangely enough...

message 28: by Anne (new)

Anne | 81 comments I agree Lorraine! :)
and that's ok Soph, you can just leave him for me and Lorraine! lol ;P

message 29: by Lariela (new)

Lariela | 45 comments Does Aragorn from Lord of the Rings count?

If not, Robert Martin or Mr. Knightley from Emma.

message 30: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisadannatt) | 148 comments Anyone counts! Aragon is a great pick!

message 31: by Sophie (new)

Sophie | 1458 comments Ok then - from Robin Hood (my bad boy ;) ) Guy of Gisborne (though that could just be down to the fact that he was played by Richard Armitage ;) ) - my answer is still Darcy but if I was to pick a bad boy, then maybe just maybe ;)

Your welcome to Tilney! ;D

message 32: by Terri (new)

Terri Edwards (teresaluvsbooks) | 7 comments Lisa wrote: "And we seem to be agreeing...
It's co..."

Oooo, yes, agree! Another one of those brooding types!

message 33: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (stress_less_jess) | 1 comments Mr. Knightley, but Gilbert Blythe would be a close second ;)

message 34: by Anne (new)

Anne | 81 comments Jessica wrote: "Mr. Knightley, but Gilbert Blythe would be a close second ;)"

Oh yes, I'd forgotten about him! Good choice :)

message 35: by Janet (new)

Janet Rochester | 1 comments Inside Austen: Mr. Knightley. Outside Austen: Elvis Cole--sharp, brave, and funny. It doesn't get much better than that.

message 36: by Lorraine (new)

Lorraine (saanichlori) | 48 comments I've always liked Eomer from the Lord of the Rings movies, played by the delicious Karl Urban (who's also Bones in the new Star Trek movies, and is on TV as a futuristic detective in Almost Human).

Also from Lord of the Rings - Faramir.

message 37: by Sophie (new)

Sophie | 1458 comments Only if I can have Darcy as well! (I have prior claim as I was the first to comment ;) )

message 38: by Sophie (new)

Sophie | 1458 comments ;) :D

message 39: by Anne (new)

Anne | 81 comments Soph wrote: "Only if I can have Darcy as well! (I have prior claim as I was the first to comment ;) )"

HAHAHA! Soph you're so cute! ;)

message 40: by N.J. (new)

N.J. Layouni (njlayouni) | 1 comments Hello, ladies :)

Good post! Since Aragorn is taken, and so is Frederick Wentworth(and a life at sea wouldn't really suit me, anyway!), I'm going to claim Colonel Brandon as my book hubby.

message 41: by Sophie (new)

Sophie | 1458 comments Brandon - nice! :) he is such a gentleman :)

message 42: by Sophie (new)

Sophie | 1458 comments And Anne, ;) thanks!

message 43: by Anne (new)

Anne | 81 comments Soph wrote: "And Anne, ;) thanks!"

Seriously you had me laughing so hard with that! :D

message 44: by Sophie (new)

Sophie | 1458 comments ;) I was just pointing out a fact ;)

message 45: by Anne (new)

Anne | 81 comments lol I know ;P It just sounded funny, like EVERYBODY STAND ASIDE, DARCY IS MINE!!!!

message 46: by Sophie (new)

Sophie | 1458 comments Well that's what I may have been thinking but I thought I should word it .... More politely ;)

message 47: by Anne (new)

Anne | 81 comments hahaha that's what I thought =) you're welcome to him, by the way :) I will take Mr. Knightley!

message 48: by Sophie (new)

Sophie | 1458 comments Thanks ^_^ I may have to fight a few others off... ;)

message 49: by Sophie (new)

Sophie | 1458 comments /learn to share... ;)

message 50: by Anne (new)

Anne | 81 comments yeah true lol ;) but like you said you were there first! :)

« previous 1 3 4