All About Books discussion

Nightmare Abbey
This topic is about Nightmare Abbey
Group Reads - Fiction > Nightmare Abbey by Thomas Love Peacock (Classics Group Read Jan 2014)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 97 (97 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by LauraT (last edited Nov 20, 2013 03:41AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

LauraT (laurata) | 13144 comments Mod
We were thinking of "skipping" the nomination for next classic Group Read because one of the 100 Best Novels for The Observer, The Guardian and Waterstones - the 9th to be precise - is Nightmare Abbey.
Since it seems not one of us has read it, and most of us - me included! - had not even heard of it, we were wondering if to "discover" it in our next classic Group Read.
What do you think?

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

Good idea. I'll give it a shot if I can find a copy

Pink Yes I agree, since most of us haven't even heard of this one I think it would be nice to discover this classic together :)

Alannah Clarke (alannahclarke) | 11576 comments Mod
I was wondering where the nominations had gone. But I am happy that that has been chosen. Hopefully it's on kindle.

Pink Alannah there are a few reasonable kindle versions on amazon :)

message 6: by LauraT (last edited Nov 20, 2013 06:54AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

All books in public domain - therefore almost all classics - are legally downloadable from variuos sites for free, if you can't find them in amazon.
Here's the link for this one in Manybooks.net: note that on the right handside of the screen you can xhoose the format you like - i.e. epub, moi, pdf, and so on ...
http://manybooks.net/titles/peacockte...

For those interested, here's a link for a sort of database of all public domain books: you look for an author or a specific title and they tell you where - and if - to find it!
http://onlinebooks.library.upenn.edu/

Found it and already have it downloaded it, might use it for my group read challenge.

Glad to have been of use!

message 9: by Leslie (last edited Nov 20, 2013 07:59AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Leslie | 15985 comments LauraT wrote: "All books in public domain - therefore almost all classics - are legally downloadable from variuos sites for free, if you can't find them in amazon.
Here's the link for this one in Manybooks.net: ..."

Yes, and it is also available in several different formats at Project Gutenberg here.

Oh, and I am in favor of doing this in January!

Amber (amberterminatorofgoodreads) Downloaded the ebook epub file to my tablet so will probably join u guys. :-)

message 11: by Pink (new) - rated it 3 stars

Pink I've just realised this book is only 70 pages long. I wonder if we should maybe read something else alongside it?

message 12: by LauraT (last edited Nov 21, 2013 01:31AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

I was thinking the same Alannah. Or we could decide to make it just one month read and in January start the nomination and poll for the classic starting in February..

Leslie | 15985 comments LauraT wrote: "I was thinking the same Alannah. Or we could decide to make it just one month read and in January start the nomination and poll for the classic starting in February.."

{pssst... it was Pink, not Alannah!} This might be a good solution - it avoids the nomination & poll during December, which is often a hectic month for folks, but doesn't leave a gap in the reading.

message 14: by Jenny (last edited Nov 21, 2013 12:57PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jenny (jeoblivion) | 4869 comments It's odd. The edition it automatically links to has 240something pages though. Is it an ebook-version Pink?

One thing that just crossed my mind: should we decide to cut Classics short by a month, we'd have 3 nomination-threads/polls all in the same month since fiction, classics and non-fiction would all happen together in January. I like the idea of having two books, but maybe we could decide on a second short book in December and if we are worried about the Christmas days have the poll a bit earlier.

message 15: by Jenny (last edited Nov 21, 2013 01:05PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jenny (jeoblivion) | 4869 comments REWIND! Ignore all I said (at least the bit about the polls in January) My brain has gone all mushy apparently, since NF-nomination will start in December so nothing changes.

But that still leaves my confused: if we read Nightmare Abbey for January wouldn't we have to set the poll for the February read BEFORE end of January/beginning of February?

message 16: by Pink (new) - rated it 3 stars

Pink Jenny wrote: "It's odd. The edition it automatically links to has 240something pages though. Is it an ebook-version Pink?

One thing that just crossed my mind: should we decide to cut Classics short by a month, ..."

No not an ebook version, this is with paperback versions. I was confused by how long the book is, as there are several copies with over 200 pages, but then several with only 70-80 pages. From what I can gather the longer books either have another short story attached or a long introduction and appendix.

As for when to read this, could we not stick to Jan and vote for our next classic during Jan, to start in Feb?

Leslie | 15985 comments Jenny wrote: "It's odd. The edition it automatically links to has 240something pages though. Is it an ebook-version Pink?

One thing that just crossed my mind: should we decide to cut Classics short by a month, ..."

I suspect Pink is correct, that the longer editions have other material (introduction, other works, etc.). However, your crossed out comment is valid and I did think about that before I decided that I was in favor of this proposal. I ended up deciding that having all the polls simultaneously wasn't such a big deal as less than half the members are responding to them...

So how do we decide?
P.S. Pink I'm sorry!!!!

message 19: by Shirley (new)

Shirley | 4177 comments I don't think it's a problem having a few polls at once, certainly other groups do this and it seems to work out ok.

I think the same Shirley. It won't be more than 2/3 polls the same month!

Jenny (jeoblivion) | 4869 comments You are right guys, though it is not the polls I am worried about but the nomination rounds. Anyhow, there's no harm in trying.

message 22: by Pink (new) - rated it 3 stars

Pink Laura, no problem, just thought I'd point it out since I didn't realise this at first.

I don't see an issue with nominating or voting on a few different genres the same month, as this is what we usually do with other groups. I actually think its easier to nominate for all around the same time each month.

Bionic Jean (bionicjean) I agree with Pink, that it's actually slightly easier voting for all at around the same time. But I don't really mind either way.

Leslie | 15985 comments Just a recap of the previous discussion -- we will be reading this just for one month as it is fairly short. I have modified the thread title to reflect that change.

Jenny (jeoblivion) | 4869 comments Downloaded it today, so I am in!

You're right Leslie; my mistake!!!

message 27: by Christine (new)

Christine (inhalesbookslikepopcorn) Grabbed it on Kindle. I'm curious to see if I like it :)

Good!

Amber (amberterminatorofgoodreads) I'm starting this tonight for my 2014 reading challenge.

Amber (amberterminatorofgoodreads) Just finished it and added it to my 2014 books list for my reading challenge. It was a good read.

Started today and I liked at the beginning; it's getting a bit confused - or I'd better say I'm getting lost!

Amber (amberterminatorofgoodreads) it was like that the whole book laurat. it had a bunch of science stuff in it.

Too much I'm afraid!
Let's wait a bit untill the others have started it

message 34: by Gill (new) - rated it 4 stars

Gill | 5720 comments I read somewhere that some of the characters in this are meant to satirise Coleridge etc (can't remember who the other ones are). Does anyone else know more about this?

message 35: by Gill (new) - rated it 4 stars

Gill | 5720 comments I've just started this and found this on Page 2. I was amused by it

'When Scythrop grew up, he was sent, as usual, to a public school, where a little learning was painfully beaten into him, and from thence to the university, where it was carefully taken out of him;'

Jenny (jeoblivion) | 4869 comments I just had something in between a 'chuckle' and a 'lol', in any case: I like it.

message 37: by Gill (new) - rated it 4 stars

Gill | 5720 comments Just checked and Scythrop is based on the poet, Shelley, a friend of Peacock's.

Bionic Jean (bionicjean) Oh I do like that quote, Gill! :D

message 39: by Pink (new) - rated it 3 stars

Pink I'm about to start this one...I like the snippets above, it sounds intriguing!

Think this will be my next read.

Amber (amberterminatorofgoodreads) Good luck you guys. there is a lot of science stuff in it.

Amber wrote: "Good luck you guys. there is a lot of science stuff in it."

Glad to see that you rated it so highly.

Amber (amberterminatorofgoodreads) Yep. Cuz it was good besides the science stuff and the family depression.

Amber wrote: "Yep. Cuz it was good besides the science stuff and the family depression."

How long did it take you to read if you don't mind me asking?

Amber (amberterminatorofgoodreads) Well my ebook copy was 72 pages long but the story stopped on page 66 so not long. It was pretty short.

I don't know, I'm almost halfway through but I'm not that fussed to be honest.

Amber (amberterminatorofgoodreads) oh okay. ^_^

message 48: by Gill (new) - rated it 4 stars

Gill | 5720 comments I may be in a minority here; I've just finished chapter two and am finding it quite funny. It seems a bit of a spoof on Gothic novels.

Has anyone readCold Comfort Farm? It strikes me as a similar sort of novel.

Bionic Jean (bionicjean) Ah - getting a handle on what to expect now then :)

Gill - We were chatting a bit about "Cold Comfort Farm" on the "What Have you Just Read?" thread (my comment was 999 - some before, some after.)

message 50: by Pink (new) - rated it 3 stars

Pink Gill, I'm halfway through and I agree it is quite funny, it reminds me a little of Oscar Wilde's writing.

« previous 1