Rated YA-MA discussion

Book Chat > Young Adult VS Middle Grade

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by N.B. (new)

N.B. Dixon As I’ve been growing rather disillusioned with the Young Adult genre, I’ve been turning to middle grade fiction more and more. At least with middle grade, no two books are exactly alike whereas YA seems to be repeating the same old stories again and again. Out of curiosity, since we all enjoy younger fiction, which are you reading more of? YA or middle grade and why?

message 2: by Stacia (the 2010 club), groupaholic (new)

Stacia (the 2010 club) (stacia_r) | 5139 comments I'm more of a YA reader. While I do like the occasional MG book for the fun factor, I don't usually gravitate toward MG unless it comes highly recommended. I just tend to prefer more mature content, which is why I read both YA and adult books. A book doesn't necessarily have to have sex or violence or gore in it in order for me to like it, but I like reading about heavier/darker subjects at times, whereas MG tends to stick with lighter subjects.

message 3: by Wendy F (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) | 2731 comments Yep, I'm like Stacia, though I think I read more middle grade than she does.

Honestly, for me it's more dependent on author.

message 4: by N.B. (new)

N.B. Dixon There are more and more MG books dealing with mature subject matter. I guess I read it because I don't enjoy the sex and gore bit and because every YA romance I've ever invested time in always disappoints me by resorting to my pet hate, love triangles. I also love the good oldfashioned fantasy adventure story. Still, as Wendy says, it's about the Author. I've read some brilliant YA books, just not for a long time. Nearly all my best books of this year have been MG.

message 5: by Jenny, puppets' bane (new)

Jenny (narcisse) | 1946 comments I read more YA and Adult than MG, but I do have a soft spot for MG sci-fi/fantasy books because they tend to focus more on adventure and friendship than on romance. I enjoy romances just fine, but in YA the romances are often overcompensating.

message 6: by N.B. (new)

N.B. Dixon Jenny wrote: "I read more YA and Adult than MG, but I do have a soft spot for MG sci-fi/fantasy books because they tend to focus more on adventure and friendship than on romance. I enjoy romances just fine, but ..."

I couldn't have put it better myself. Those are my exact reasons for reading MG. I recently finished the Screaming Staircase by Jonathan Stroud and the House of Hades by Rick Riordan. Fantastic, both of them!

message 7: by Wendy F (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) | 2731 comments I'm eager to read House of Hades. It keeps getting pushed back, but I already have it in hardback.

I have the Jonathan Stroud Bartimaes trilogy, but i haven't read it yet.

message 8: by Michelle {Book Hangovers} (last edited Nov 21, 2013 08:50AM) (new)

Michelle {Book Hangovers} (bookhangovers) I'm a sucker for some MG books!!!! I mean I love YA too but I just love me some MG sci-fi/fantasy books! It's nice to escape and go on an adventure in some distant land meeting fun characters along the way with romance being at a minimum.
If you look at my TBR list, majority is probably MG. And I'm 31 years old! LOL!! I love em ♥

I always have a mix of books when I reach the register of my local used bookstore! Last weekend I had bought:
The Goose Girl (The Books of Bayern, #1) by Shannon Hale
Darkfever (Fever, #1) by Karen Marie Moning
American Gods (American Gods, #1) by Neil Gaiman
Fly by Night (Fly By Night, #1) by Frances Hardinge
The Name of the Wind (The Kingkiller Chronicle, #1) by Patrick Rothfuss
Howl's Moving Castle (Howl's Moving Castle, #1) by Diana Wynne Jones

Michelle {Book Hangovers} (bookhangovers) Wendy F wrote: "I'm eager to read House of Hades. It keeps getting pushed back, but I already have it in hardback.

I have the Jonathan Stroud Bartimaes trilogy, but i haven't read it yet."

I have that trilogy too, but I haven't read it yet either!

message 10: by N.B. (new)

N.B. Dixon I'm so glad to see other MG book lovers. Especially as you all love them for the same reasons I do. The Bartimaeus Trilogy is one of the most original ideas and one of the most beautifully written trilogies I've ever read. They're among my all-time favourite books and the characters are just fantastic. His new series, Lockwood and Co, of which the Screaming Staircase was the first, is looking like being equally promising. As for House of Hades, it came out in October and I've already read it twice. Can't wait for the final book in that series, though I'll be sorry to see it come to an end.