Fans of Stephanie Laurens discussion

Desire's Prize (Chronicles Of Claerwhen, #1)
This topic is about Desire's Prize
Desire's Prize

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kristen (new)

Kristen | 1 comments Mod
Did you enjoy the alternative time period (medieval) in DESIRE'S PRIZE?

Do you follow a specific author or are you strictly time period, and won't follow an author into any other time period?

Sound off below!

message 2: by Manuela (new) - added it

Manuela (manu21) | 1 comments I haven't read that one yet but I don't mind the time period as long as the characters are developed and fun and the story is involving and easy to follow and captures my interest for the time of me reading it.

message 3: by Carol (new)

Carol (lucky47) | 4 comments I haven't read it yet. I love all her books. I do prefer Historical Scottish Romance above all but will read any genre if it appeals to me and has a strong story line and characters I can relate to.
Carol L

message 4: by HJ (new)

HJ | 52 comments I have to admit that I haven't bought Desire's Price yet because I'm not a fan of the medieval period. I do tend to follow authors, but they usually stay in the same period more or less. Stephanie Laurens's more recent books are set later than I usually read, but that's because she's been writing about characters who were children when Devil found his bride!

As you might guess from this, my favourite period is the Regency - but using that term the way it is generally used in publishing i.e. not just 1811-1820, but from about 1800-1830.

I love the Cynsters and the Bastion Club best!

The Book Junkie Reads . . . (thebookjunkiereads) | 4 comments I have not read Desire's Prize but have it on my list. I do follow specific authors and dabble into new authors works. I am a lover of most all romance not matter the realm/time it takes place. Historical/Regency/Highlanders are high on the list. Which puts Stephanie Laurens on my high list for reading.

message 6: by Gretchen (new)

Gretchen | 5 comments I loved Desire's Prize. The period is not as important to me as the character and plot development, and Stephanie Laurens is one of the best in Romance. I think I have everything she has ever written and enjoyed them all. I have re-read them each at least 3 times and they always delight. Thanks for the entertainment and historical insights.

message 7: by Diana (new) - added it

Diana Harper | 6 comments I only read books not e-books so I will not be able to read this one and that upsets me as I love all the books you write.

message 8: by Carol (new)

Carol (lucky47) | 4 comments Diana wrote: "I only read books not e-books so I will not be able to read this one and that upsets me as I love all the books you write."

Me too Diana. I haven't made the change and don't think I can but i know I'm missing out on some great reads.
Carol L

The Book Junkie Reads . . . (thebookjunkiereads) | 4 comments Ladies I have to admit that you are most certainly missing out on some great reads via e-book format. There are lots out there that provide in between stories (novellas) for the full book format. Maybe just give it a try. You may just find a new form of entertainment.

message 10: by Diana (new) - added it

Diana Harper | 6 comments I can't as I am on a tight budget

message 11: by HJ (new)

HJ | 52 comments Diana, you can download the Kindle app free onto a computer, and I think that is true of other e-reader apps too. Also, many public libraries lend ebooks now and they usually do so in a format which can be downloaded free.

So you don't have to have a special e-reader, and you can borrow lots of ebooks for free. Libraries like them because the overheads are lower.

Do check what your library is offering these days - you may find a wider range of books available in ebook than in print!

The Book Junkie Reads . . . (thebookjunkiereads) | 4 comments Diana wrote: "I can't as I am on a tight budget"

I began both my Kindle and Nook accounts without a dime. . . they both have computer apps for free download and they both provide many free books by unknown and known authors. You can open many doors to yourself. Check either out and enjoy.

message 13: by Carol (new)

Carol (lucky47) | 4 comments Antoinette wrote: "Diana wrote: "I can't as I am on a tight budget"

I began both my Kindle and Nook accounts without a dime. . . they both have computer apps for free download and they both provide many free books b..."

Thanks for the info Antoinette, my son gave me a Nook and I've been unable to download any free books because it tells me I need a credit card. I'll go again and check it out.
Carol L

message 14: by HJ (new)

HJ | 52 comments Carol wrote: "Antoinette wrote: "Diana wrote: "I can't as I am on a tight budget"

I began both my Kindle and Nook accounts without a dime. . . they both have computer apps for free download and they both provid..."

Do look and see if your library has books for Nook.

The Book Junkie Reads . . . (thebookjunkiereads) | 4 comments Hj wrote: "Carol wrote: "Antoinette wrote: "Diana wrote: "I can't as I am on a tight budget"

I began both my Kindle and Nook accounts without a dime. . . they both have computer apps for free download and th..."

Many libraries have e-books for Nook, Kindle, and various tables including iPads. You would find most of them on the library's digital download page. See if this helps out.

message 16: by Gretchen (new)

Gretchen | 5 comments Carol wrote: "Antoinette wrote: "Diana wrote: "I can't as I am on a tight budget"

I began both my Kindle and Nook accounts without a dime. . . they both have computer apps for free download and they both provid..."

Download the app for your pc or mac and search their free books. also download Adobe digital editions for pc or mac if you don't have a reader. that will download your library books easily.

message 17: by Diana (new) - added it

Diana Harper | 6 comments Hj wrote: "Diana, you can download the Kindle app free onto a computer, and I think that is true of other e-reader apps too. Also, many public libraries lend ebooks now and they usually do so in a format whi..."

Ok I also have to admit I love the feel of a book in my hands and I am a bit overwhelmed by the Kindle and others like it.

message 18: by HJ (new)

HJ | 52 comments Diana wrote: "Ok I also have to admit I love the feel of a book in my hands and I am a bit overwhelmed by the Kindle and others like it. ..."

I do understand that feeling; it's how I felt, too, before I tried! Now I read in both ways. I find it much easier ti fit my Kindle into my handbag than a real book.

Also, my holiday packing has been transformed! I used to pack all the books I was going to read and squeeze in a few clothes around them. Now my luggage is never over-weight, and I've no excuse for my poor wardrobe...

message 19: by Brenda (new)

Brenda (silvatrend8553) | 1 comments Nook app is also available for free. B&N also has many free books and novellas available. I have both the Kindle and Nook apps on my tablet and free software for both on my netbook. There are hundreds of free books available. Try it. FREE can't be beat. You'll also find new releases offered at great discounts or free very often.

message 20: by Carol (new)

Carol (lucky47) | 4 comments Thanks for the info ladies. I'm totally clueless with these apps and tablets.But I'm certainly going to try these.
Carol L

message 21: by HJ (new)

HJ | 52 comments Carol wrote: "Thanks for the info ladies. I'm totally clueless with these apps and tablets.But I'm certainly going to try these.
Carol L"

I'm really pleased you're going to try. There are so many good books which are completely free. It's worth checking regularly, because sometimes the prices drops for a couple of days only.

message 22: by Julia (new)

Julia David | 1 comments I actually have 6 different apps on my tablet to read with. I read print books at home and carry my tablet with me to read when away. I also was happy to quit carrying so many books in my suitcase when I went anywhere. Now I always have enough books with me.

message 23: by E. (last edited Dec 01, 2013 02:56PM) (new)

E. R. (dilawrosas) | 28 comments Hadn't read the novel yet, but SL's books are enjoyable reading. Maybe some day I'll get to reading it...I do have some SL books in my to-read list, after all.

message 24: by Diana (new) - added it

Diana Harper | 6 comments I don't have anything but a basic computer

message 25: by Diana (new) - added it

Diana Harper | 6 comments I don't have anything but a basic computer

message 26: by HJ (last edited Dec 20, 2013 04:07AM) (new)

HJ | 52 comments Diana wrote: "I don't have anything but a basic computer"

Diana, go to Amazon's website - www.Amazon.com or .co.uk (or whichever is appropriate for where you live). Then on the left-hand side you should see a list of departments - put your cursor on Kindle, which brings up an index of Kindle things. About two-thirds down you see "Kindle apps and resources" and under that "Free Kindle reading apps". Click on that link and you'll see different options depending on what type of computer you have. Click on the appropriate one and follow the instructions.

Once you have downloaded the app, get some books by going to the Kindle Store on the Amazon website. You'll see the category lists of different books on the left side of the screen. Choose Romance. On the right-hand side of the screen you can see a table of Best Sellers. Top 100 Paid is showing, so click on the tab next to it which says Top 100 Free. Look again at the lists on the left side to see if you want to be more specific e.g. Historical Romance, and click that if so. Find one you like the look of and click on it to go to the book page. If you decide you do want it, the Buy tab is on the right.

If you don't want bestsellers but want to see what's free, once you're on the Kindle Books page choose Romance, and then look again at the lists on the left side to see if you want to be more specific e.g. Historical Romance. Click on that and you get a selection of books. Go to the right side and change the "Sort By" from Popularity to Price Low to high. Use this Sort all the time wherever you are, to look for free books.

I just did this and on the first page could see free books from Andrea Pickens and Amanda McCabe...

message 27: by Diana (new) - added it

Diana Harper | 6 comments thank you i will have to check into it after Christmas

message 28: by Kit★ (new) - added it

Kit★ (xkittyxlzt) | 28 comments I haven't gotten this one yet, but I'm on a wait-list for it over on PBSwap. I really like medieval set books, so I'm very interested in seeing how SL handles the period. I like how her other books I've read always seem pretty historically accurate, and give me a good sense for the times, hoping this one will be no exception :)