♥!The Young Adult Book Club!♥ discussion

Book Talk > Overrated Books/Series

Comments Showing 1-45 of 45 (45 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Leahxx (new)

Leahxx (heyitsleahxx) | 12 comments Twilight, definitely overrated in my opinion. I thought it was a perfect series when I was younger, but after rereading it I don't understand why I loved it so much. And the movies are just bad, like what were they thinking when they made them? I really want to know haha

message 2: by RAI (last edited Nov 19, 2013 05:29PM) (new)

RAI | 1032 comments Carrier of the Mark (Carrier Trilogy, #1) by Leigh Fallon & Marked (House of Night, #1) by P.C. Cast

are overrated to me. I didn't like the Carrier of the Mark AT ALL. It was HORRIBLE. The writing was like that of a middle school kid, the main character was annoying and unrelatable, and the supporting characters were like cardboard cut-outs. The House of Night series.... I ultimately liked the first book, the second one was ok, but after the third book I just gave up on the series. What started out with potential to be a good series, became crappy quickly because the main character couldn't be faithful to her boyfriend. And even after he broke up with her, I heard from someone still reading the series that the guys continue to pile up.... so, yeah, the main character of the House of Night series was the real buzz kill for me. I'm still deeply intrigued with the world the authors created, but I just can't stand Zoey.

message 3: by Leahxx (new)

Leahxx (heyitsleahxx) | 12 comments Marshanah wrote: "Carrier of the Mark (Carrier Trilogy, #1) by Leigh Fallon &Marked (House of Night, #1) by P.C. Cast

are overrated to me. I didn't like the Carrier of the Mark AT ALL. It was HORRIBLE. The writing was like that of a middle school ..."

Oh, I know! The House of Night was sooo bad! I also read the first two and ended up just stopping. I can understand breaking up with Eric, but to cheat on him with two different guys in ONE book is just over the top in my opinion

message 4: by Kevin (new)

Kevin (betweenmypages) | 56 comments I mean obviously: Twilight (Twilight, #1) by Stephenie Meyer New Moon (Twilight, #2) by Stephenie Meyer Eclipse (Twilight, #3) by Stephenie Meyer Breaking Dawn (Twilight, #4) by Stephenie Meyer

I'm honestly not a fan of The Mortal Instruments. I thought City of Glass was very well done but the rest...I wasn't a fan. I see it as fanfiction sadly. City of Bones (The Mortal Instruments, #1) by Cassandra Clare City of Ashes (The Mortal Instruments, #2) by Cassandra Clare City of Glass (The Mortal Instruments, #3) by Cassandra Clare City of Fallen Angels (The Mortal Instruments, #4) by Cassandra Clare City of Lost Souls (The Mortal Instruments, #5) by Cassandra Clare City of Heavenly Fire (The Mortal Instruments, #6) by Cassandra Clare

I dont know why Go Ask Alice by Beatrice Sparks is popular, I hated it.

message 5: by Harlee (new)

Harlee I definitely agree with The House of Night series being overrated. I got all the way to the 8th book (I think) and thought is this ever going to end?! There are only 2 decent relationships in the whole series and neither of them involve Zoey! My friend got me hooked on them a few years ago but now I'm completely over them.

message 6: by Olivia (new)

Olivia | 2 comments hush hush. for me, totally predictable. but just for me.

message 7: by Kay (new)

Kay | 333 comments I too think that Hush Hush is overrated for me. No offense, I hate Nora. She is just stupid. Once you begin to see things differently from the protagonist's point of view, everything goes downhill. I didn't even bother to read the whole series. It was surprising that I had read the first three. Well, because I thought the third book was the final one in the series. Haha :)

message 8: by Saki (new)

Saki (parthenekelos) | 10 comments mortal instruments definitely,I loved the first 2 or 3 books but the then it became horrible.only thing that makes HON bearable is Aphrodite...

message 10: by Pamela (new)

Pamela (waterspout) | 370 comments Veronica wrote: "Glass Houses (The Morganville Vampires, #1) by Rachel CaineObsidian (Lux, #1) by Jennifer L. ArmentroutDaughter of Smoke & Bone (Daughter of Smoke & Bone, #1) by Laini Taylor"

omg so true! I thought Morganville Vampires was good (everyone I saw who read it, liked it) but after reading the first two books, I still can't see why those people liked it so much. Nothing happened in the book that wasn't overly predictable or absolutely boring. It is a kinda good series, but so overrated.

TMI too. I read it, thinking it would be good (it is, kind of) but then there was a movie and 3 more books + a prequel series and 2 other series based on the same world. Kind of disconcerting how 'popular' it became from that book that didn't inspire me to read everyday.

message 11: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (godisgoodallthetime-) Anna and the French Kiss

message 12: by Sophia (new)

Sophia (Bookwyrming Thoughts) (hannahsophialin) | 708 comments Under the Never sky... T_T

message 13: by Sophia (new)

Sophia (Bookwyrming Thoughts) (hannahsophialin) | 708 comments House of Night was good for the first few books. My subconscious mind must have decided "Nah..." and I abandoned the rest of the series.

message 14: by Veronica (new)

Veronica | 794 comments Pamela wrote: "Veronica wrote: "Glass Houses (The Morganville Vampires, #1) by Rachel CaineObsidian (Lux, #1) by Jennifer L. ArmentroutDaughter of Smoke & Bone (Daughter of Smoke & Bone, #1) by Laini Taylor"

omg so true! I thought Morganville Vampires was good (everyone I saw who r..."

exactly!!!!!

message 15: by Jacky (new)

Jacky (booklovingjacky) I agree with the House of Night, but I enjoyed reading Obsidian, Hush Hush and TMI. But it's probably because I love cheesiness and I don't think they're too predictable.

message 16: by Jacky (new)

Jacky (booklovingjacky) In fact, the Lux Series is one of my most favorite series!!

message 17: by Zoey (new)

Zoey  | 27 comments Jacky wrote: "In fact, the Lux Series is one of my most favorite series!!"

I completely agree!

message 18: by Julia (new)

Julia I thought she Cassandra Clare should have stopped after City of Glass because it was a good ending. I think she was supposed to stop there but then she wanted to keep going.

message 19: by Veronica (new)

Veronica | 794 comments Julia wrote: "I thought she Cassandra Clare should have stopped after City of Glass because it was a good ending. I think she was supposed to stop there but then she wanted to keep going."

can you imagine 3 new trilogies over the next decade with the same over used shadowhunter world?

message 20: by Julia (new)

Julia Veronica wrote: "Julia wrote: "I thought she Cassandra Clare should have stopped after City of Glass because it was a good ending. I think she was supposed to stop there but then she wanted to keep going."

can you..."

I know I think I am going to stop! I got to City of Fallen Angels and now it is getting repetitive and annoying

message 21: by Veronica (new)

Veronica | 794 comments Julia wrote: "Veronica wrote: "Julia wrote: "I thought she Cassandra Clare should have stopped after City of Glass because it was a good ending. I think she was supposed to stop there but then she wanted to keep..."

i read COFA but could not get into COLS. given clare has good ideas, i felt it will be fruitful if she can channelize it into making new stuff.

A Girl With Her Nose in a Book (musicbook_lover) | 61 comments The Matched trilogy.
The idea had so much potential, but the second and third books were very disappointing.

message 23: by Jennifer, The Paranormal One (last edited Apr 20, 2014 03:22PM) (new)

Jennifer (ivashkovlover) | 3376 comments Mod
Leanne wrote: "The Matched trilogy.
The idea had so much potential, but the second and third books were very disappointing."

I agree. I LOVED Matched! Gave it 5 stars. Then I couldn't even finish Crossed.

Couldn't finish these series. For most I didn't even finish the first book. Well I did finish the Immortals series by Alyson Noel but I really really wish I hadn't. That way back when I never DNF now I DNF like a pro :-D
Glass Houses (The Morganville Vampires, #1) by Rachel Caine Fallen (Fallen, #1) by Lauren Kate Evermore (The Immortals, #1) by Alyson Noel The Vincent Boys (The Vincent Boys, #1) by Abbi Glines The Maze Runner (Maze Runner, #1) by James Dashner Gone (Gone, #1) by Michael Grant Grave Mercy (His Fair Assassin, #1) by Robin LaFevers Throne of Glass (Throne of Glass, #1) by Sarah J. Maas Beautiful Creatures (Caster Chronicles, #1) by Kami Garcia

message 24: by Ravencrantz (new)

Ravencrantz I completely agree with House of Night! I think I managed to read through eight of them and gave up during the ninth? Or maybe read through seven and gave up on eight...I can't remember. But people just kept telling me they got better and I still think back and wonder why I put myself through all of that. And now they're in Graphic Novel form...I don't understand the hype about it.

I enjoyed Mortal Instruments, but really think Infernal Devices is better. Again, I don't understand the hype? I didn't even finish the series. I stopped after reading book three because it was done. Why go on with the series? I enjoyed Beautiful Creatures, but couldn't get through the second one.

I think the biggest overrated book I've read was Ender's Game. My mother has been telling me to read this book since I was in grade school. Countless people have scolded me for not reading it, especially as a scifi fan. So I sat down and read it. And really wasn't impressed. I guess maybe if I'd read it earlier? It was probably good for its time (wasn't it all before the technology that surrounds us today?) but I just didn't see what everyone else saw in it.

message 25: by Bailey (new)

Bailey (baileymh) | 2 comments The Imortal Instruments, don't kill me but yeah I read the first book and that was all I could take, but that was a while ago so I might try it again.

message 26: by K.D. (last edited Apr 20, 2014 04:33PM) (new)

K.D. McQuain (kd_mcquain) | 13 comments C.S. Louis The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe, Robrt Jordan The Wheel of Time, Stephanie Meyer Twilight, Cloe Neill Chicagoland Vampires, Lauren Kate Fallen and P.C. Cast House of Night... well, really any PNR series gets old after a few books, then it just becomes a money maker. Now I don't fault an author for making money, but I do wish some of them would wrap up their stories while I'm still enjoying them.

message 27: by Bethan (new)

Bethan Chalmers | 59 comments Veronica wrote: "Julia wrote: "I thought she Cassandra Clare should have stopped after City of Glass because it was a good ending. I think she was supposed to stop there but then she wanted to keep going."

can you..."

But think of the many books were written in our plain boring world

message 28: by Bethan (new)

Bethan Chalmers | 59 comments For me Noughts and Crosess,
Noughts & Crosses (Noughts & Crosses, #1) by Malorie Blackman
The concept was good but for me the author tried to make the story more dramatic and started piling more and more things into the book which she didn't need to like (spoilers) she didn't need two executions, deaths, kidnapping, bombing,a illegitimate child and double crosses in just one book, that's over saturating the drama, you need at most three plot points while working on world building and relationship development (which were both quite poor in this book.

message 29: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Mitchell (bookluvr34) | 46 comments Fallen (Fallen, #1) by Lauren Kate and Divergent (Divergent, #1) by Veronica Roth

I read all of the books from both of these series. I think Rapture by Lauren Kate is one of the few books I would be okay with burning. Divergent just annoyed me because of Tris. She was soooo annoying! I had the same problem with Luce. And neither Daniel nor Four had any real personality in my opinion. Four was okay but I had no clue why he would want Tris as for Daniel...I hate him. He was irritating and had that whole "I know what's best for you so be a good girl and do everything I say" and with the exception of the third book, Luce pretty much did exactly that. Hate weak female leads.

message 30: by Bethan (new)

Bethan Chalmers | 59 comments Amanda wrote: "Fallen (Fallen, #1) by Lauren Kate and Divergent (Divergent, #1) by Veronica Roth

I read all of the books from both of these series. I think Rapture by Lauren Kate is one of the few books I would be okay with burning..."

Kind of agree with you about divergent series especially Alliegiant, Four irritated me SO much, he was stupid and reckless when he got captured in insurgent because 'he was trying to save Tris' he literally says to her when she sees him being put in jail by the soldiers 'these are the consequences' basically saying because you gave yourself up I decided to give myself up, so he sacrifices himself for no reason meaning his side loses one of their best fighters and the enemy get an extra divergent mind making tris more disposable and them having another divergent mind if something goes wrong with tris, good job four, good job.

message 31: by Kristina (new)

Kristina | 125 comments For me Paper Towns by John Green was just ok. And I think that's me being nice.

I know I'm a minority, most people enjoy this book.

message 32: by Mindy (new)

Mindy Diamond I loved the hunger games and catching fire...
but mockingjay was not good in my opinion

message 33: by Harlee (new)

Harlee I kind of find The Mortal Instruments series overrated...

message 34: by Matty (new)

Matty | 5 comments Looking for Alaska

message 35: by RAI (last edited Feb 12, 2015 09:05PM) (new)

RAI | 1032 comments Cold Kiss (Cold Kiss, #1) by Amy Garvey Dangerous Boy by Mandy Hubbard Dance of Shadows (Dance of Shadows, #1) by Yelena Black Strands of Bronze and Gold by Jane Nickerson Night School (Night School, #1) by C.J. Daugherty Blood of My Blood (Jasper Dent, #3) by Barry Lyga (sadly, or maybe it was just a disappointing ending) Fallen Angel (Fallen Angel, #1) by Heather Terrell Skinned (Cold Awakening, #1) by Robin Wasserman Taken (Taken, #1) by Erin Bowman The Gathering Dark by Christine Johnson

message 36: by Anita (new)

Anita Radcliffe (anitaradcliffe) | 3 comments Don't shoot me please...
The Mortal Instruments Boxed Set City of Bones; City of Ashes; City of Glass by Cassandra Clare
I've only read the first one though, so perhaps it gets better.

message 37: by Pamela (new)

Pamela (waterspout) | 370 comments These are overrated series too:
Angelfall (Penryn & the End of Days, #1) by Susan Ee Cinder (The Lunar Chronicles, #1) by Marissa Meyer Darkfever (Fever, #1) by Karen Marie Moning

message 38: by Sam (new)

Sam Mirza (sammoonlight20) | 10 comments I agree, the House of Night was not that entertaining. I just stopped at #2.

message 39: by Rin ♔ (new)

Rin ♔ (duchessrin) | 1 comments City of Bones (The Mortal Instruments, #1) by Cassandra Clare was the first YA series I've read. So at that time, it was awesome to me. After City of Glass, I started to dislike it but I kept on buying the books. I didn't understand what was so great about Obsidian (Lux, #1) by Jennifer L. Armentrout that everyone around me was raving about it. The story was nothing new save the whole alien thing. And I DNF-ed Daughter of Smoke & Bone (Daughter of Smoke and Bone, #1) by Laini Taylor . I got so annoyed with everyone in the latter.

message 40: by Gayatri (new)

Gayatri Iyer I didn't like these series.. but they are highly rated on goodreads
The Iron Fey series by Julie Kagawa
The Selection series by Kiera Cass
Elemental series by Brigid Kemmerer

And John Green's books are okay... not great but not bad either. So they're over rated according to me.

message 41: by Kat (new)

Kat | 2 comments The Selection series by Kiera Cass for me. I've read the first boom and I didn't like it. Very predictable and boring. Nothing special about it. *shrugs*

message 42: by [deleted user] (last edited Aug 04, 2016 12:27PM) (new)

Hush, Hush (Hush, Hush, #1) by Becca Fitzpatrick and The Lux Obsidian (Lux, #1) by Jennifer L. Armentrout series

Typical jerk/bad boy and the girl with a lot of attitude pretending to be above the guy's standards when mentally she just can't stop gussing over his looks..ugh..

message 43: by Chelsea (new)

Chelsea I might be the only one who thinks this but I think the Throne of Glass series is highly overrated. I didn't really enjoy the first book and I couldn't even finish the second.

message 44: by Jordan (new)

Jordan (thewritejordan) | 14 comments The Daughter of Smoke and Bone Trilogy by Laini Taylor: I read them all but only because I got the last one signed before I collected the first two. It seemed a little cliche at times and overall it didn't tend to hold my interests.

message 45: by HeatherJay (new)

HeatherJay | 1 comments Kitty wrote: "Anna and the French Kiss"

Yeessssss! It was mediocre at best.