Reader's Ink discussion

NEW BOOKS FOR 2014 - Pick your Book and Your Month

Comments Showing 1-39 of 39 (39 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Carol (last edited Nov 20, 2013 10:25AM) (new)

Carol (cajonesdoa) | 640 comments Mod
Ladies - it's getting to be that time, and I know some of you like to get your Christmas lists out, etc. I've been thinking about a couple things. I think it would be okay to do non-fiction if it's not a real heavy one, and just to test the water, I read a Danielle Steele a couple weeks ago, and it was okay. So you new ladies, feel free to hop aboard we haven't seen much activity from you yet, looking forward to getting to know you. POST AWAY, and Have a wonderful Thanksgiving. We do take November and December off, but by and large do fiction. These are subject to change if there is reason to do so. Have fun!!!

message 2: by Carol (last edited Nov 27, 2013 02:32PM) (new)

October - The Historian, by Elizabeth Kostova - another creepy book about Dracula, 752 pages. Has received good reviews. It came highly recommended.

message 3: by Ashley (new)

Ashley | 384 comments Mod
That's a great book for October. I've read it (and liked it), but give yourself a head start! It's a long one!

message 4: by Ashley (new)

I'll take June and "Commencement" by J. Courtney Sullivan. Thanks for organizing!

message 5: by Diana S (last edited Nov 22, 2013 02:52AM) (new)

Diana S I'll take February.
Reading: The Circus in Winter by Cathy Day The Circus in Winter by Cathy Day

Carol, I'll make a booklist like I did last time and add to it when the others pick their books.

message 6: by Alisha (new)

Alisha Rivera | 145 comments Hi! I'm finishing school in August (woohoo!) so, I'd like to claim September, if no one minds. I'm not sure which book yet- ok if I come back later with a decision?

message 7: by Carol (new)

Hooray Alisha. Congrats on your finishing school. I'm proud of you! That has not been an easy feat. Looking forward to hearing from you. Best wishes!!!

message 8: by Lauren (last edited Nov 27, 2013 12:16PM) (new)

Lauren | 251 comments I'm going to throw out a rather out-there option.

How would everyone feel about devoting two months (three?) to reading Vikram Seth's A Suitable Boy?

This one is definitely a stretch, as it's nearly 600,000 words (compared to 80 to 100K for most novels) and the paperback edition is almost 1500 pages. But the few people I know who have read it say it's worth the time commitment.

This was not on my list for book club, but I want to read it and while cutting celery this morning (yay stuffing!), thought that maybe others might be interested in tackling it. That and if I'm going to read a book that long, I want to discuss it with others.

I do have other options, so feel free to be honest.

Happy Thanksgiving!
A Suitable Boy

message 9: by Carol (last edited Nov 27, 2013 02:36PM) (new)

Interesting idea. According to Ashley, my October book is on the long end too, 752 pages (long). I don't think I've ever read a book that long. Skippy was pretty long too, at 661 pages.

I'm working on my stuffing and candied yams too--YUM YUM!!!

I'm not telling you no, but I'm being honest with myself and I'm not sure I would get it finished unless we do use 2-3 months. I just checked Kindle, and they don't have it for sale. They have a Lesson Plans Version, but not a book.

message 10: by Diana S (last edited Nov 30, 2013 04:23PM) (new)

Diana S There's a group that I belong too and we take long books and divided it.
For example, Read Chapter 1 thru 8 before Jan. 15.
Read Chapter 9 thru 15 before Jan. 30 etc....
Discussion: Take place in-between.
For example, discussion for chapters 1 -8 opens Jan 16. Discussion for chapters 9 - 15 opens Jan. 31, etc.....
Just an idea. :)

message 11: by Carol (new)

My library has only one copy in the whole system. Surprisingly, it is currently checked out.

message 12: by Lauren (last edited Nov 29, 2013 02:44PM) (new)

Lauren | 251 comments Carol: Since you're one of the few people who regularly reads the books month in and month out, if you're leaning towards no, let's call it a no - especially since there's no ebook available. With rare exception, I prefer paper books, so I never think about the fancy option.

I'll post another book (one that is much shorter and available as an ebook), but for now, I'll claim April.

Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving!

P.S.: Yay for Foreign Affair!. I read it last year, and it was one of my favorite books of 2012. And I think most of this group will like it. Can't wait to discuss!

message 13: by Carol (last edited Nov 29, 2013 03:24PM) (new)

Lauren, if we do something like Diana mentioned, it could be a go. I'm concerned there are not enough copies for me and others here in the area. And being that there are no e-books is a concern and I know for a fact I won't finish it in three weeks. So maybe Plan B is a good choice!!!!! And you're right, I do love audio books, cd's, and good old books too. You're decision, and I support whatever you decide.

Been decking my halls today. Beginning to look a lot like Christmas. Hope everyone had a wonderful holiday. Get yummy Thanksgiving leftovers for dinner. I'm hungry. Been working on house all day.

message 14: by Carol (new)

Lauren - me again. I've never known how a person could tell how many words a book has. There are so many literary folks in this group, I'm probably the only one that doesn't know the answer. How do you know it has 600,000 words, and average books 80 - 100K? The dummy speaks again!!!

message 15: by Lauren (new)

Lauren | 251 comments No worries, Carol. I think I'm in a minority with my fascination over some of the technical details of publishing.

A Suitable Boy has a well publicized word count because of its length (it's the first line of its Wikipedia entry, for example). I know the 80 to 100k because that's standard for the publishing industry and easy to find, although most books for adults are known more for their page number than word count. I've also seen a few articles advocating that, with ereaders, word count makes more sense than continuing to use page number in a book's description (but I think that conversion might be greeted as similar to America switching to the metric system).

As for my selection, let's go for Where'd You Go, Bernadette by Maria Semple. And yes, I'm totally trying to play to our Seattle contingent with this book ...

Where'd You Go, Bernadette

message 16: by Carol (last edited Dec 01, 2013 08:01PM) (new)

This is so cool. Thanks to those of you that have turned in your book for next year. This is awesome.
I'm showing that we have March, May, July & August still open for your terrific entries. If some of you new members would like to submit and host a book, would love to hear from you.

Ashley warned me that my book is kinda long. I hadn't looked at the page total until after I submitted. She's right. Was wondering if I could tap a week or two into November as the book is 752 pages. I wouldn't get that done in a month, so I certainly don't expect you to.

Diana, thanks SO much for doing our annual book list. It's so nice to just look at it and know what is coming up. Appreciate that a lot.

message 17: by Carol (last edited Dec 03, 2013 04:18PM) (new)

Would anyone besides me be interested in reading Pearl Buck's new book called "The Eternal Wonder." Yesterday it was on sale with Kindle for $2.99. Don't know if it is today, but its a book I want to read, and I really like her The Good Earth book. What do you think?

Cheryl, of the remaining months, which would you like for your other book.

Anyone else want to do a second book?

message 18: by Diana S (new)

Diana S Carol wrote: "This is so cool. Thanks to those of you that have turned in your book for next year. This is awesome.
I'm showing that we have March, May, July & August still open for your terrific entries. If ..."

You welcome Carol :)

When do you plan on reading Eternal Wonder? I found out my library has 5 copies on the book (all on hold though). But it shouldn't take long to get it.

I don't mind taking another book.
I'll take July.

On what book to read?

It's between:

The Yonahlossee Riding Camp for Girls by Anton Di Sclafani

- or -

Whistling Past the Graveyard by Susan Crandall

any opinions?

message 19: by Carol (last edited Dec 04, 2013 04:42PM) (new)

Diana, I haven't heard from Cheryl yet. Would like her to have first choice of month. Then you and I can plug in. Thanks for telling us about your library choices. Since I bought a copy on my kindle for my book, I haven't really looked at the library. Will look at your books. Based on ratings, it looks like Whistling Past the Graveyard is getting better ratings than the other, so as of now, that would be my choice. THANKS!!!

I haven't heard anything from Julie. I've sent her a PM to see if she would like to do a book and our New Members.

message 20: by Diana S (new)

Diana S Oh, I thought Cheryl picked January. - Post# 7

message 21: by Carol (new)

She did, but her second book, Silver Star's month hasn't been chosen yet. She is the first person to select a second book. Hope that's okay.

message 22: by Diana S (last edited Dec 07, 2013 07:37PM) (new)

Diana S We're doing Silver Star, alright! I love Jeannette Walls books! :D
I missed it when I read her post. Silly me! :/

message 23: by Diana S (last edited Jan 11, 2014 09:43PM) (new)

Diana S I'm having the hardest time trying to find this month's book. They did have a copy at the library but they retired it recently.
If I don't find it this week. I'll just start on next month's book.

message 24: by Carol (new)

Diana, my library had only one copy, but the print was so small, I finally wimped out and bought it through Kindle. I'm about 1/4 through. Wish I liked it as much as Lauren did. Hopefully it will pick up. I'm finding the language a little rough, but I should be able to finish it. Good luck!!!

message 25: by Ashley (new)

I got mine used through Amazon for about $4 bucks, maybe $5. I'm enjoying it! I do find that I need to read it slowly, though. I don't wanna miss any of Lurie's subtlety or tricks with the language.

message 26: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl | 134 comments I'M ALMOST FINISHED WITH FOREIGN AFFAIRS. I'LL BE READY FOR DISCUSSION IN FEB. ANYONE READ THE CLIFTON CHRONICLES BY JEFFERY ARCHER? I INHALED THE FIRST THREE, AND THE 4TH COMES OUT IN MARCH. I LOVE ARCHER!!!!!!

message 27: by Carol (new)

Just a quick reminder that we have four months that are still available for picking a book that you would like to read. They are March, May, July and August. Any books you've been dying to read or have just read that you'd like to discuss with our group????? Would like to fill the year.

message 28: by Ashley (new)

Carol, I can do March, if you want. Maybe "Snow Child"? It ought to be extremely accessible library-wise, and some folks may have already read it.

message 29: by Carol (new)

Ashley, terrific. I think I'll do the Eternal Wonder for May, and I think Diana has a couple she was interested in for July. And Cheryl, did you still want to do Silver Star in say, August????? These sound like good reads. I've read Silver Star and it's good. Heard of Snow Child but haven't read it, and Diana's choices are interesting and eager to hear which one she'd like to choose. So Thanks Ladies. Looking forward to hearing from you. CJC

message 30: by Lauren (new)

Lauren | 251 comments If any months are still available (June?), what about The Chaperone by Laura Moriarty?

(And Ashley: I just put Snow Child on my list after a rec from a nice lady at my local bookstore.)

message 31: by Carol (new)

Lauren: I haven't heard back from Cheryl after several inquiries. So feel free to take JUNE, if that is okay with you. I've heard about this book and it sounds GOOD. I think we are full for the year. Still need to hear which book Diana is committing with--She was interested in July!!!

THANKS ALL, LOOKING FORWARD TO THE EXCITING MONTHS AHEAD!!! :-)

message 32: by Diana S (last edited Feb 04, 2014 07:18PM) (new)

Diana S Hi Everyone,

For July, I pick Whistling Past the Graveyard by Susan Crandall Whistling Past the Graveyard by Susan Crandall

I heard a lot of good things about this book. Looking forward to discussing it. :)

Carol, I'm updating the above book list. (Post #6)

message 33: by Diana S (last edited Feb 05, 2014 07:46AM) (new)

Diana S Is Ashley still doing Commencement in June? (Post #4) or is Lauren doing the The Chaperone (Post #36)?

Do we have an august book yet?

message 34: by Diana S (last edited May 13, 2014 01:33AM) (new)

Diana S 2014 Reader's Ink Book List (Updated: 2/10/14)

January - (Cheryl)
Foreign Affairs by Alison Lurie Foreign Affairs by Alison Lurie
February - (Diana)
The Circus in Winter by Cathy Day The Circus in Winter by Cathy Day
March - (Ashley)
The Snow Child by Eowyn Ivey The Snow Child by Eowyn Ivey
April - (Lauren)
Where'd You Go, Bernadette by Maria Semple Where'd You Go, Bernadette by Maria Semple
May - (Carol)
Me Before You by Jojo Moyes Me Before You by Jojo Moyes
June - (Ashley)
Commencement  by J. Courtney Sullivan Commencement by J. Courtney Sullivan
July - (Diana)
Whistling Past the Graveyard by Susan Crandall Whistling Past the Graveyard by Susan Crandall
August - (Lauren)
The Chaperone by Laura Moriarty The Chaperone by Laura Moriarty
September - (Alisha)
How to Be an American Housewife by Margaret Dilloway How to Be an American Housewife by Margaret Dilloway
October - (Carol)
The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova
November: Hiatus ?
December: Hiatus ?

message 35: by Carol (last edited Feb 06, 2014 07:19PM) (new)

I think I'm having a senior moment. You are right, we still have August open SO PLEASE FEEL FREE to volunteer and pick August for us.

I've been having second thoughts. I recently read a most interesting book entitled "Me Before You" by Jojo Moyes. To quote Lauren, this book demands discussion, and I haven't had anyone to visit with about it. And I've been looking at the reviews of Eternal Wonder and it hasn't done as good as I thought it would, so I think I'm going to change for May!!!

We still have August open..... Would love to hear from our new ladies, and/or our tried and trues. Let me know. Thanks, Carol

message 36: by Lauren (new)

Lauren | 251 comments Sorry for the confusion regarding dates - I misread that June was available. What about August for The Chaperone? It sounds like a good summer read.

Hoping to weigh in on Foreign Affairs tomorrow or this weekend. This week has been a bit nuts, and I haven't had the time to sit down and properly draft a response.

message 37: by Carol (last edited Feb 07, 2014 12:48PM) (new)

Maybe I'm not as dumb as I thought. Lauren, plan on doing Chaperone in August, and we should be complete. I got an email from Alisha, and she'll be submitting a book idea for September before too long. Looking forward to having her back. That should fill our year. Thanks all. Carol

Diana, could you change my book title to "Me before You". Thanks.

message 38: by Lauren (new)

Lauren | 251 comments Just to clarify: Commencement in June and Chaperone in August?

message 39: by Diana S (last edited Feb 10, 2014 09:53PM) (new)

Diana S The Book List is now updated (Post #39).
I think we have a really nice selection of books for this year's reads. :D