Bookworm Buddies discussion

The Ocean at the End of the Lane
This topic is about The Ocean at the End of the Lane
Buddy Reads > The Ocean at the End of the Lane - Buddy Read for Dec. 1st

Comments Showing 1-39 of 39 (39 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

I'd like to have a buddy read for this book for Dec. 1. I am a fast reader so I may list too many chapters to read a week. If I do please let me know and I'll slow it down.

Kathryn (kcanty313) | 4025 comments Hi Linda! I will definitely read this with you!

message 3: by Janie, Group Owner & Book Addict (new)

Janie Johnson | 14007 comments Mod
Oh glad you have it Kathryn! YAY! I checked for kindle and it is $8 I was like uh....

Kathryn (kcanty313) | 4025 comments I actually don't have it yet. LOL...I looked to see how much it was for Kindle, and I haven't bought a book for my Kindle, nor read one on my Kindle, in quite some time. Plus, I still have some money left over on a giftcard for Amazon. It's a newer book, though. I think it came out this summer. Oh well...sounds like a good read, though. :)

message 5: by Janie, Group Owner & Book Addict (new)

Yea I thought it sounded VERY good. I was just not sure about the $8 for a book less than 200 pages. It sounded kinda high to me or maybe it is just because I am a bargain hunter when it comes to book.

Kathryn (kcanty313) | 4025 comments I think it's 259 pages. Oh well....You know I'm a bargain hunter as well, but I don't buy books for my Kindle very often. Maybe three times a year, and they are usually 1.99 or .99. LOL

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

Yea! Sounds good Kathryn! I did get it for my Kindle, although I saw it on e-bay for pretty reasonable. Kindle was faster and in all about the same price with their shipping costs. I've never led a buddy read before but it looks pretty easy. I want to try my hand at it at anyrate. Quick question Janie, can we just stay on this discussion to do the buddy discussions or do I set up something else?

Kathryn (kcanty313) | 4025 comments We can stay in this discussion. It helps to stay in the original thread so there aren't too many, and so it won't be too confusing for others. If other people decide to read this say, next year, they can start their own thread with their starting date.

message 9: by Janie, Group Owner & Book Addict (new)

Yea Linda you can keep this thread for the actual discussion.

message 10: by Janie, Group Owner & Book Addict (new)

Oh ok Kathryn. :) I saw for the hardback it was 181 pages. It makes sense that the kindle would be more pages.

Shell (shellcampbell) | 2216 comments Hope you guys enjoy it! Janie, since you liked Miss Peregrine's I suspect you would really enjoy this one :)

GeneralTHC Janie wrote: "Oh ok Kathryn. :) I saw for the hardback it was 181 pages. It makes sense that the kindle would be more pages."

It just depends on how it's formatted and how much white space there is in the book and whatnot; sometimes there's more, sometimes there's less. My mobi is 158 pages.

message 13: by Kathryn (last edited Nov 19, 2013 04:49PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kathryn (kcanty313) | 4025 comments Ooooh, you have the mobi file?? LOL

Jennifer (The Nightly Book Owl) (misscupoftea) | 1 comments Hey! I'd love to join you guys! I love Neil Gaiman, and I've been wanting to read this for quite some time now :)

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

Sure! Just stay tuned! Starts Dec 1.

message 16: by Janie, Group Owner & Book Addict (new)

If I can get the book I will join in. I will read it sooner or later I suspect! heh!

Chris  (haughtc) | 460 comments I'll join in.

Kathryn (kcanty313) | 4025 comments Chris wrote: "I'll join in."

Yay!

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

Kerstin, sure! Would love having your opinions too!

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

Welcome Chris!

message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

Now that Thanksgiving is over I'm getting excited to start "Ocean"! Dec 1st is on a sunday so I'll post my first comments on Wed. Dec. 3rd to let you know how far I am and what I think up to that point. If you want to comment sooner please feel free to do so! OK! Neil Gaiman here we come!

message 22: by [deleted user] (new)

So, we have a man who is old enough to be a grandfather, who creates art for a living that he can not explain, and who has gone home for a funeral of someone who is never named. A man who drives down to the end of the lane, to a farmhouse he barely remembers, to sit on an old bench to remember his seventh birthday party and Lettie Hempstock.

"Childhood memories are sometimes covered and obscured beneath the things that come later, like childhood toys forgotten at the bottome of a crammed adult closet, but they are never lost for good."

Gaiman takes us by the hand and leads us through his protaginists day, with just enough information to jump us from getting dressed for the funeral to walking us to the old green bench where he stares into the duck pond, Letties Ocean. Here begins the remembering, the true story of what happened 40 years ago.

Ok, he's got me hooked! I have to find out about Lettie Hempstock and her mother and grandmother. The feel of this story is very different from what I'm used to reading. I can tell right away the author is English not American, not just because it's set in England but by the way he uses language. I'm loving the way he pulls me in with hints here and there and by simply leaving things unsaid.

What are some of your insights? your likes? your dislikes?

Kathryn (kcanty313) | 4025 comments Finally getting to this tonight! Can't wait!

Shell (shellcampbell) | 2216 comments Yay! Hope its still cold and snuggley weather there for you Kathryn, that's the perfect weather for reading this book :)

Kathryn (kcanty313) | 4025 comments Michelle wrote: "Yay! Hope its still cold and snuggley weather there for you Kathryn, that's the perfect weather for reading this book :)"

Haha, funny you should mention cold and snuggly weather! Tomorrow, we're supposed to get ice, and be REALLY cold tomorrow, Friday, and I think Saturday. Sounds like I'm just in time. :)

Shell (shellcampbell) | 2216 comments Perfect!

message 27: by Janie, Group Owner & Book Addict (new)

Yea bad weather in store for us starting Thursday evening till Sunday. YIKES! I hate ice.

Chris  (haughtc) | 460 comments Started tonight after a couple of long days. As a result, I only read the prologue and two chapters.

But I'm really enjoying it so far.

message 29: by [deleted user] (last edited Dec 09, 2013 04:56PM) (new)

(view spoiler)

Kathryn (kcanty313) | 4025 comments I finished this today and gave it four stars.

Shell (shellcampbell) | 2216 comments I think that's what I gave it too. I'm looking forward to reading your review Kathryn :)

Kathryn (kcanty313) | 4025 comments Michelle wrote: "I think that's what I gave it too. I'm looking forward to reading your review Kathryn :)"

My review is up! :)

message 33: by Chris (last edited Dec 09, 2013 07:09PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Chris  (haughtc) | 460 comments I haven't gotten very far.....been busy with distractions. Ugh.

Well, I guess I'm almost halfway. With it being short and all...heh

message 34: by Janie, Group Owner & Book Addict (new)

Gwen I hope you can get back to it soon and enjoy it!

message 35: by Janie, Group Owner & Book Addict (new)

Colds stink Gwen. I hate when medications make you drowsy, especially if you just wanna get comfy and read awhile. Feel better soon!

Shell (shellcampbell) | 2216 comments Hope you get better quickly Gwen. I hate it when I get a cold... I'm actually worried I might be on the verge of getting one atm, I've had a really sore throat and zero energy... hopefully that's as bad as it gets. Hope you feel better and can get back to your reading soon!

message 37: by [deleted user] (new)

Well, I think most have probably finished this read of "The Ocean at the End of the Lane".
I found it an interesting story line and would have liked more of the background story on the Hempstock ladies.[(view spoiler)

Kathryn (kcanty313) | 4025 comments Linda, that was my only real complaint about it. I wanted to know more about who they were, what they were, their purpose, etc. The only thing I can think of is Gaiman wanted a mystery surrounding them.

Chris  (haughtc) | 460 comments I finished it the other day. I've been too distracted by other stuff to write a review, and rather uninspired to. It was a decent read, but not nearly as good as other Gaiman I've experienced.