Friends in Fiction discussion

general > Women in combat?

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Darlene (new)

Darlene Deluca (darlenedeluca) | 131 comments Mod
Wow! This just in from CNN:

This year, for the first time in the history of the Marine Corps, the graduation class at its infantry training course will include women.

Fifteen women voluntarily began the training at Camp Lejeune, North Carolina, on September 24. On Thursday, three of them will graduate from the course, a milestone for women seeking equality in the Armed Forces, according to Capt. Maureen Krebs, a Marine Corps spokeswoman.

However, the women who passed the enlisted course will not join infantry units. They instead will be sent to non-combat jobs throughout the Corps.
Their 59 days of arduous work will instead become part of the Marine Corps ongoing research into the possibility of having women serve in combat.

Sooo . . . they passed the training for infantry, but are being sent to non-combat posts. What does everyone think about that?

Here's the link to the article:

.http://security.blogs.cnn.com/2013/11...

message 2: by Teen (new)

Teen | 18 comments I'm really on the fence with this question....Do I think we can pull our own weight and be effective in combat? Yes..absolutely yes! Do I think male soldiers are distracted and more protective because we are women? Yes..some...not all.... Do I believe women's "moxy" is tested more by their comrades then a male soldier is? Heck, yea! Often times no different in the corporate world...fair? No. Reality? Yes..

As far as the non-combat post assignment following their infantry training...we need to choose another war to test the "combat" issue. Middle East is not the place, IMHO...