Tips for Self Promotion, Sales, and Advertising discussion

e-book related topics > What makes a bestseller?

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

My book went to #3 in my genre during a free promo. My book was listed on Amazon as a free bestseller. There seems to be some conflicting opinions on whether I can claim that my novel is a bestseller or not. What are your opinions on this matter? Can I say that my novel is a bestseller even though the copies sold during my promo were free?

message 2: by Chris (new)

Chris Birdy | 2 comments Jillian wrote: "My book went to #3 in my genre during a free promo. My book was listed on Amazon as a free bestseller. There seems to be some conflicting opinions on whether I can claim that my novel is a bestsell..."
It doesn't matter. You got to #3 and earned the bragging rights. Would it matter if the book was 1 cent? Enjoy the moment!

message 3: by Selena (new)

Selena Blake (selenablake) | 6 comments I think most people consider a best seller to be on sale, having a price. But everyone has a different standard it seems. When my book hit 18 overall, was it a best seller? Debatable, as I found out. My book wasn't free, but there were snarky comments. But then, you'll get snarky comments when you sell 50,000 copies in a week at the .99 price point. I guess my point is, it's a crapshoot. Subjective. Some don't consider .99 a valid price point, some don't consider amazon lists valid. For what it's worth I don't list books of mine that have gone high on individual categories, free or not as best sellers. On the other hand, when my books were #1 on my publisher's website you bet I called them best sellers. See? Crapshoot. Either way, congrats on hitting #3!

message 4: by Justin (new)

Justin (justinbienvenue) I absolutely love this question because I was just asking myself this a few hours ago and to find out I'm not the only one is a relief.

It is debatable because on one hand the books free and being downloaded so it's not being "sold" and on the other hand the downloads are effecting the ranking in the best sellers list. So while one could say that because the book technically isn't being sold the downloads are effecting the best sellers list and showing is as a top book so I would think it counts.

Also one of my books recently hit #3 during a promo in which it was free. I didn't consider it a best seller as I just figured it was ranked low but now that I think about it, being ranked that low in the best sellers list would mean I could be considered a best seller.