THE Group for Authors! discussion

Publishing and Promoting > What makes a bestseller?

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

My book went to #3 in my genre during a free promo. My book was listed on Amazon as a free bestseller. There seems to be some conflicting opinions on whether I can claim that my novel is a bestseller or not. What are your opinions on this matter? Can I say that my novel is a bestseller even though the copies sold during my promo were free?

message 2: by R.E. (new)

R.E.  Carter (papasmurf1911) | 20 comments I think you could say the most downloaded or one of the most read books but not best seller because you didn't sale anything. However congratulations - free or not its still an awesome accomplishment.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Thank you! I appreciate your feedback! :)

message 4: by Mellie (new)

Mellie (mellie42) | 618 comments A bestseller is just that - a bestSELLER. Free downloads do not count.

With paid sales you need to be within the Top 100 OVERALL and stay there for at least 3 days to claim best seller status. The other figure I have heard is sales in excess of 10,000 units within one week.

message 5: by Judy (new)

Judy Goodwin | 187 comments A.W. has it exactly.

That's great that you achieved that ranking during your promo. That's the sign of a successful promotion. But be aware that many, many authors have had similar success during their free days. My book reached #1 in all of general fantasy, not just in the sub-genre of epic fantasy where it was listed for free ebooks. But I can hardly call it a bestseller. My top paid ranking has never even come close.

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

I appreciate all of your precious feedback! Thank you! :)

message 7: by Marcy (new)

Marcy (marshein) | 214 comments I am on two email lists that send me names of their latest ebooks. At least half of them are called, on these lists, Best Sellers! I keep wondering the criteria.

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

Hi Marcy, I too am on several e-mail lists that send me free eBooks everyday. Some are called bestsellers and I've never heard of them before. I also wonder what the criteria is.

message 9: by Edward (new)

Edward Wolfe (edwardmwolfe) I would state exactly what status it reached, for example:

Reached #1 in Science Fiction: Post-Apocalypse free downloads.

But a better approach than using a statistic that might not mean a lot to many people might be to use some excerpts from reviewers.

Possible examples:

"More laugh out loud moments than I can remember" - Michael Garza - author of "The Hand That Feeds"

"Loved this book." - Ian McClellan - author of "Zombie Apocalypse 2012"

"This book is awesome. I loved it! ...an unexpected, delightful surprise" - Edward M Wolfe - author of "When Everything Changed"

message 10: by Jenny (new)

Jenny Byrne | 29 comments King, POE, Rice, Patterson, Study the "Masters". Learn from their craft. Stephen King is #1 for many resons. You can connect with his stories on every level. He has an lENGENDARY fan base unlike any author before him. Read one of his works. THAT is a best seller, now and always!
Word of advice NEVER EVER re-invent what was written before you. Bram Stoker is vomiting is his grave. Twilight. GARBAGE! AS Stephen King has said a few times! I watch that crap 4 laughs!

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

I appreciate all of your feedback. Thank you.