Uglies (Uglies, #1) Uglies discussion

Would you be a pretty?

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Saf Hiya! I've written a review on this book and I'd love it if you could check it out and comment with your opinions on what you thought about the book too! Thanks!

here it is!

Kelli No way. I am way to scared of surgery to become one :3 plus I like my body the way it is now :P

Dash of  Sunshine Kelli wrote: "No way. I am way to scared of surgery to become one :3 plus I like my body the way it is now :P"

i think that if we grew up living in a world like Extras, then i'd change my face. but to be pretty? idunno. i think my face says character XP

Kate It depends. If I knew nothing about lesions and lived in that world, probably.

Cassidy I think i would rather be a Special... :)

Riley Borklund ♥Kate (Sandfeather) ♥ wrote: "It depends. If I knew nothing about lesions and lived in that world, probably."
Id say the same thing

Natasha That is hard to say because who wouldn't want to be beautiful, party all the time, and have a care free time? I've never been anything special; not that pretty, shy, and not out there but when you become a Pretty...its a fresh start. But I don't like surgery and the whole damages your brain and gives you a sort of brain tumor thing....I'll pass

Tina J No, I'd happily stay 'ugly'.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, after all. ;-)

Dani-girl Hell yes i would! this is something i never got, why were the lesions so bad? They made people happier and prevented fighting/wars. And if you found out about the lesions, you could cure yourself like how Tally did.

So if i had pick what to be out of Uglies, Pretties or Specials, i would choose being Pretty.

Specials are too cold and mean. They don't enjoy life.

Kaamla I wouldn't be a pretty because it sort of sounds like their brainwashed and party all the time. Plus you have to go through surgery. I would not like to destroy my face I was born with just for other people to say that I'm "pretty". :)

message 11: by Jenn (new) - rated it 2 stars

Jenn Harris (Reader of Things) no, the lack of intelligence isn't worth it in my opinin

message 12: by Liz (new) - rated it 4 stars

Liz The way I am now I would definitely say no, I want to stay ugly as I wouldn't want anyone changing my brain and although the Pretties have fun all the time it's obviously not true happiness - just one huge meaningless party. But if I had grown up in that world I would probably feel differently as I will have been taught to believe that the Ugly life is just time spent waiting to become pretty.

Alexa Danko i think it is really hard to say. right now a lot of people, including myself, are saying they are happy with their bodies and that they wouldn't change them. However this type of social construct would change within the world that we live in. i think that in the age we live in now there is a push for real beauty and self acceptance. however, if we were all developed into the world of pretties, i think a lot of us would go along with it and go through with the surgery.

Katie Gatto If it didn't come complete with the brain lesions I'd think about it.

Laurel Yes. It is terrible, but yes, I would. Without the lesions, of course ;-)

Caitlin I think I would. Honestly I hate the way I look and I believe that it would be okay as long as I didn't go through the brainwashing.. Most people may think that it's awful to think bad of yourself but no one is 100% happy with every part or them... If you are then it took you a long time to become that way.

angel I'm really not into the surgery part.
However, it would be nice to just live your life without a care in the word, and be happy. I wouldn't know about the lesions, so really nothing would be bothering me.
Ignorance is bliss.

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

Yes, as a pretty there would be finally no need to critique oneself on appearance. With teeth made of airplane ceramic I don’t think I would have to worry too much about decay, and with purger tablets there would be no obesity. I’d like to think that world is infact twisted but ideal in comparison to our society filled with judgmental human beings, anorexia, bulimia, bullying, depression and much more that come with appearance. No one would hate themselves and the only thing to pick on would be your personality in which you’d create yourself.

Mariama I DUNNO. Maybe if I could do what Zane and Tally did and kept bubbly, maybe.

Shiks Nope! I'd like to remain myself! I like Shay's point of view of becoming pretty..!!

Aiesha No, because apparently in this book normal is ugly. So I'm apparently ugly?

message 22: by Jo (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jo Elliott No, I'd rather be myself than be turned into a pretty.

Lydia Honestly, yes!

Laura Guilbault кαтє ♚ үσυ'ℓℓ ℓσsε үσυяsεℓғ ιη тнε cℓσυ∂s (Semi-Hiatus) wrote: "It depends. If I knew nothing about lesions and lived in that world, probably."

Definitely agree, because we would have been raised differently, and if I never found out about the Smoke, or what the surgery actually does to my brain, I'd probably go with the flow and become a pretty.

Laura Guilbault Lydia wrote: "Honestly, yes!"

Even if it changes the way you think?

Lydia Laura wrote: "Lydia wrote: "Honestly, yes!"

Even if it changes the way you think?"

Yes. I've been dealing with an eating disorder since I was 15, and honestly having my mind and body altered sounds good to me. It'd rather have lesions and be happy than miserable with anorexia.

Diana Braxton With out the brain lesions - yes. But I drawn the line at letting them tamper with my mind.

message 28: by Ruby (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ruby I think that if it was a part of my culture and I didn't know about anything that could happen to me in the process, then yes, I do believe I would have the operation. Yet if I did know and the question is: Would I become pretty if I could, right now, I'd say absolutely not.

I think that self-esteem in how you look is important, and fixing any problems you have with your image by taking the operation isn't helping anything; you're just avoiding a necessary part of life, which is coping with yourself, your flaws, your habits, your likings.

I also think that if I'd change myself to look completely different, I wouldn't be me (on the outside, anyway) anymore: I'd be like a spirit in someone else's body. I would want to be in control of the person I see as me. I wouldn't change myself just because I wanted to be as pretty as people around me.