Jane Austen discussion

Christmas Competition

Comments Showing 1-50 of 76 (76 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Sophie, Your Lovely Moderator (new)

Sophie | 2624 comments Mod
Thanks to a brilliant suggestion from Irene, we are going to hold a short writing competition (no prizes or anything - just for fun!)

A short scene or story about a something along the lines of Jane Austen and Christmas!

We need to come up with a title which narrows the subject a little while still allows for freedom and range and variety of entries.

Any ideas? And what do people think of this idea?

message 2: by Marcy (new)

Marcy (marshein) It's not something I want to write, but I would love to read what people come up with.

I might get more enthused over New Years Eve at Pemberly!

message 3: by Louise Sparrow (new)

Louise Sparrow (louisex) | 262 comments Sounds like fun, I will definitely join in if I can.

message 4: by Sophie, Your Lovely Moderator (new)

Ok so I suddenly had a wave of inspiration and have begun writing my contribution. I am writing a collection of short scenes taking place at different households from pride and prejudice. It is the first christmas after Pride and Prejudice ends. So far I have one at Pemberley, one at Longbourn, and have started one at Rosings. :)

I still am trying to think of an appropriate general title which allows variety and freedom. Unless it would be better not to have any title other than something like...
"Christmas in the world of Jane Austen's novels" (ugh thats rubbish!)

message 5: by Irene (new)

Irene | 271 comments I am not good at choosing titles, however I tried. What about one of these?

1. A Jane Austen Christmas - becaus fandom never rests.
2. Let's our pens dwell on snow and mistletoe.
3. It's a truth universally acknowledged that Janeites love Christmas.
Maybe I can come up with something else.

Should we set a date of finish? We could set December the 25th (or the 31th?) as a deadline to send the stories to Soph so that she can publish them on the group page as she see fit.

message 6: by Sophie, Your Lovely Moderator (new)

I like three :) But all three are brilliant and so it don't mind - all allow freedom as well. :)

Um... ok. How about the deadline be like the 23rd ish and inbox me your entries by then and I can post them on the 24th for a nice read on Christmas eve :) ??
or perhaps I could spread the entries rather than post them all at once, spreading the deadlines :)

Of course, if any miss the deadline I will of course still post it - as it is all for fun!:)

message 7: by Marren (new)

Marren | 764 comments Since I am not into Christmas (Although I must say there are some nice movies around this time) can I skip this one. Maybe I can settle for reading :).

message 8: by Sophie, Your Lovely Moderator (new)

Of course - it's a fun one for people who want to take part :)

message 9: by Marren (new)

Marren | 764 comments Okie dokies.

message 10: by Louise Sparrow (new)

Louise Sparrow (louisex) | 262 comments These partial quotes are taken from Emma

- The season indeed for friendly meetings
- At Christmas everybody invites their friends about them
- A spirited beginning of winter engagements

message 11: by Sophie, Your Lovely Moderator (new)

Nice idea Louise! I like the last one - but again they are all good!

Um... Am I really to make the final decision? :S

message 12: by Sophie, Your Lovely Moderator (new)

I loved the quote idea Louise, and Along a similar line there is also this (partial) one from Pride and Prejudice.... Which could be altered a little (hence the brackets)

“I sincerely hope your Christmas (in Hertfordshire) may abound in the gaieties which that season generally brings"

message 13: by Maria (new)

Maria | 86 comments I cannot wait to read your stories :) I love your ideas about the titles. They are all good!

message 14: by Sophie, Your Lovely Moderator (new)

Mine are getting there :D

message 15: by Irene (new)

Irene | 271 comments I like the idea of spreading the entries, but I will beg for a distant date because I'll be stuck with NaNoWriMo till the end of November...

message 16: by Sophie, Your Lovely Moderator (new)

That's fine by me!
Btw, what exactly is that? Namo etc thing?

What did you think of the quote I posted Irene, minus the 'in Hertfordshire' so as not to limit it to P&P?

Ok so to sort out the dates can anyone who is going to participate comment for me? (Or shall I send out an event invite?)

message 17: by Louise Sparrow (new)

Louise Sparrow (louisex) | 262 comments An invite is probably a good idea, and a date just before Christmas as you said. I liked all the titles too.

message 18: by Sophie, Your Lovely Moderator (new)

Well depending on how many positive responses I receive I will work out the dates for publishing the entries and spread them accordingly, starting just before Christmas.

A title ought to be decided before I send out the invite... I definitely like the idea of having one of the partial quotes.

message 19: by Marte (new)

Marte (lavageit) | 16 comments How long does the text have to be? :)

message 20: by Sophie, Your Lovely Moderator (new)

As long or short as you wish - its all just for fun :)

message 21: by Rose (new)

Rose Brookins (emrosebee) | 7 comments I'm so excited for this I am de-lurking to share my enthusiasm :)

message 22: by Rose (new)

Rose Brookins (emrosebee) | 7 comments Soph wrote: "That's fine by me!
Btw, what exactly is that? Namo etc thing?

NaNoWriMo is a mad dash to write 50,000 words of a novel in a months, done every November. SO MUCH FUN! I am doing it as well, good luck to you, Irene!

message 23: by Sophie, Your Lovely Moderator (new)

I look forward to everyone entries :D

Oh right! Thanks for explaining that!

message 24: by Marren (new)

Marren | 764 comments Yeah Soph every year around this time the NaNoWriMO folks go crazy, hehe. Teasing you Irene :P.

message 25: by Irene (new)

Irene | 271 comments Exactly! NaNoWriMo means National Novel Writing Month and this year I felt crazy enough to try. However for NaNo I am writing in Italian, since I am faster.

I like the title idea, it gives freedom enough! I am really excited about this contest. It will be my first attempt at writing fiction directly in English, so please be mercyful.

Good luck to you too Rose! We are almost at the end and I am more or less on track. I can't believe it!

message 26: by Sophie, Your Lovely Moderator (new)

I didn't know about it till now! I see - 50,000 in a month! Wow! Good luck to you both :)

Well I am glad you approve of the title! It should be a lot of fun to read everyone's ideas :) I'm looking forward to it! This will be my first attempt and writing any fiction! (So be forgiving for me as well as Irene ;) though Irene your English is brilliant :) )

message 27: by Irene (new)

Irene | 271 comments Thank you Soph! The problem with fiction is that it's difficult to convey undertones in a language that's not yours and of which you don't master all the shades.
However I found that write in Italian and then translate is even harder...

message 28: by Sophie, Your Lovely Moderator (new)

That is very true actually. The subtle humour would be difficult to convey in a language which is not your own. :) And I remember from doing both French and Spanish that the translations were always not at all similar really!

message 29: by Marcy (new)

Marcy (marshein) "Christmas in Jane Austen's neighborhood."

message 30: by Sophie, Your Lovely Moderator (new)

Good one but I have sent the invites out now! Did you get it?

The title really isn't important really - please write anything festive and Jane Austen related :)

message 31: by Marren (new)

Marren | 764 comments Irene, girl your English is fantastic. If the did not say English is your second language I would not know.

message 32: by Irene (new)

Irene | 271 comments Thank you Marren! :D

message 33: by Heather (new)

Heather (heathermushroom) | 5 comments This looks like a lot of fun, Soph! I don't know for sure if I will have the time to do it, but I definitely will if I can! :)

@Irene: I agree with the others - if you hadn't told us, I would never have guessed that English wasn't your first language. ;)

message 34: by Anne (new)

Anne | 70 comments I agree with you Irene, it is difficult to convey undertones in a language that isn't your own! English isn't my first language either so you won't be alone in this ;P But it is true that your English is very good!

message 35: by Sophie, Your Lovely Moderator (new)

As is yours Anne!!

No worries Heather - I hope you can!

So far we have 7 yes and 6 (now 7 including Heather) maybes :)

message 36: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (rachelkisley) This sounds like a great idea - I won't be writing anything, but I look forward to reading the shorts. It would be nice if they were done for Christmas so we can read them on Christmas day wearing a snuggly jumper and drinking mulled wine later on in the day when the older folks of the family take a nap :) sounds like heaven to me!

message 37: by Sophie, Your Lovely Moderator (new)

Some will hopefully be posted before Christmas - mine should be done anyway :)

message 38: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (rachelkisley) Good stuff :)

message 39: by Sophie, Your Lovely Moderator (new)

:)

message 40: by Anne (new)

Anne | 70 comments Soph wrote: "As is yours Anne!!

No worries Heather - I hope you can!

So far we have 7 yes and 6 (now 7 including Heather) maybes :)"

Lol, thank you Soph :) I will do my best! I started to get some ideas...it's a long week-end, so I'll try to start a first draft soon! :)

message 41: by Sophie, Your Lovely Moderator (new)

:) brilliant!

message 42: by Anne (new)

Anne | 70 comments Soph wrote: ":) brilliant!"

:D I will probably send mine to you before Christmas :) that way we can have a few to read before/during Christmas!

message 43: by Sophie, Your Lovely Moderator (new)

Thanks!! That would be great!

message 44: by Anne (new)

Anne | 70 comments Alright! =)

message 45: by Irene (new)

Irene | 271 comments This morning I reached the 50000 words goal for NaNoWriMo! This weekend I'll try to fhinish that story, so that I can re-read and edit later, and then I'll be able to start working on my Jane Austen story. I hope I'll be able to finish it before Christmas.

message 46: by Sophie, Your Lovely Moderator (new)

Brilliant! :) well done!

message 47: by Maria (new)

Maria | 86 comments Well done, Irene!

message 48: by Irene (new)

Irene | 271 comments Thank you!

message 49: by Marren (new)

Marren | 764 comments You go Irene! *Thumbs up* :D

Victoria_Grossack Grossack (victoriagrossack) | 66 comments Last year's NaNoWriMo was when I drafted The Highbury Murders: A Mystery Set in the Village of Jane Austen's Emma. I'd never done the November thing, because most of my projects are with a co-author, and so they were never suitable. But in 2012 I tried it - it was a lot of fun and I learned some things about improving my productivity.

« previous 1