Marketing and promotion advice for independent authors discussion

Bank Shot Marketing

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mik (new)

Mik Hetu (TheDalaiNapa) | 4 comments No author should rely on any single avenue for marketing their book. Here’s my latest tactic, which you all are welcome to apply to your overall strategy. In fact, check back here in about a week to see my latest – and best - incarnation of this idea.
I call it “Bank Shot Marketing” because it’s an indirect way of getting to your goal, just like a bank shot on a pool table. Yes, people come to this site to look for good books, and they go to book blogs to look for good books, but many, many, many more people go everywhere else all over the internet searching for everything else but books . . . but if while visiting some relatively random site a book title catches their eye, some of them will follow the link . . .Does this work at all? Well, have you ever surprised yourself with how late at night you stay up following one link after another, ending up on some site you never, ever would have sought out directly?

Okay, here are two examples of how I did this for my humor / novelty book Napism.Info (for people who take their naps “religiously”):
1 – I put a thumbnail pic of my book cover (and a link, of course) in the sidebar of my sailboat blog, www.svKalaNag.com
2 – I put a message “Brought to you by Napism.Info” at the beginning of a YouTube video about rebuilding my sailboat (“Rebuilding a Sailboat (an Albin Vega): 3 Years in 3 Minutes!”). This video has had over 4,000 views, which no, did not translate to over 4,000 book sales, but it has helped.
Both of these instances are (1) essentially free and (2) up on the net, out there reaching a few people while I am sleeping.

Should you do something like this for your book? Why not?

message 2: by Stephen (new)

Stephen Black | 2 comments Mik, That is a great idea...In fact,there is a lot to be said for putting your book in front of a group of people who are not primarily looking for books. For instance people go to a dog show to see dogs...but what would happen if there was a book about dogs on display?

message 3: by Mik (new)

Mik Hetu (TheDalaiNapa) | 4 comments Stephen wrote: "Mik, That is a great idea...In fact,there is a lot to be said for putting your book in front of a group of people who are not primarily looking for books. For instance people go to a dog show to se..."

Stephen, exactly - your example of people going to a dog show and maybe buying a dog book on display there is a good way of getting this idea across. Thanks!

message 4: by Mik (new)

Mik Hetu (TheDalaiNapa) | 4 comments Okay, here’s My Best Incarnation of Bank Shot Marketing: www.OurRoleModels.com! This website has 3 functions: 1, to provide to the public a list of people who have done something that qualifies them as good role models; 2, to be a vehicle to carry an ad for my book, Napism.Info, and 3, to give YOU (as writers) a vehicle to get out more word about your book / blog / business (in exchange I get your suggestions / write-ups of role models.) It’s a win-win-win, for me, the public, and you.
C’mon, ride my train!

Marketing and promotion advice for independent...

unread topics | mark unread