The Mystery, Crime, and Thriller Group discussion

Author's Corner > Just how long is a novel?

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Gamal (new)

Gamal Hennessy | 154 comments The Independent Publishing Page: Just How Long is a "Novel" and How Much Should it Cost? http://bit.ly/1dQCWcz

message 2: by Don (new)

Don Satalic (donsatalic) | 135 comments Gamal, good blog post. You are doing the writing community a service. Maybe you should bundle them all up and publish a non-fiction book.

I appreciate your work.

message 3: by Gamal (new)

Gamal Hennessy | 154 comments Thank you sir. I have thought about compiling all these essays into one cohesive work, but I think I need to establish my fiction first to gain credibility. After all, whose going to take writing advice from a new writer?

The goal now is to release five novels between 2013 and 2016. Maybe then I'll have a brand that can support a "How to be a Writer" book.

Does that make sense?

message 4: by Don (new)

Don Satalic (donsatalic) | 135 comments Gamal wrote: "Does that make sense?"

Not really. Knowledge about the mechanics of writing a novel is desperately needed today. So many people are producing so many poorly structured, poorly edited, and boring books that they are swamping readers in a torrent of slush, which used to be at the bottom of an editor's round file but is now in the market.

Maybe if you write it like your blogs, as an author's journey of discovery, what you've learned along the way, it may resonate with those writers who want to improve their own work.

(If you write it, don't forget: I get 10 percent... :)

message 5: by Gamal (new)

Gamal Hennessy | 154 comments Writers...they always have an angle. ;)

message 6: by Martyn (new)

Martyn Halm (amsterdamassassinseries) | 103 comments I think you're doing fine keeping them as blog articles that will help you attract people to your fiction.

Good article. I'll think up a comment to put on your blog...

message 7: by Lance (new)

Lance Charnes (lcharnes) | 414 comments I'm skeptical that you'll be able to sell a paperback of any size for $5.99 and make back your costs, far less offer discounts to vendors. How are you producing your paperbacks? Are they mass-market or trade formats?

message 8: by Don (new)

Don Satalic (donsatalic) | 135 comments Gamal,

All these things you've learned in your journey as a writer might be a great e-book. These are things writers new to the scene (and there are millions of them each year) could benefit from your experience. Why give it away in a blog? Your blog is attracting writers...not readers of your fiction. Think about it.

And now I want 15 percent....:->

message 9: by Gamal (new)

Gamal Hennessy | 154 comments Martyn wrote: "I think you're doing fine keeping them as blog articles that will help you attract people to your fiction.

Good article. I'll think up a comment to put on your blog..."

Thanks Martyn. I don't know how much impact the blog posts will have on sales, but I'll find out in February with the new book comes out. At this point, the posts are as much about connecting with other writers than it is about finding readers.

message 10: by Gamal (new)

Gamal Hennessy | 154 comments Lance wrote: "I'm skeptical that you'll be able to sell a paperback of any size for $5.99 and make back your costs, far less offer discounts to vendors. How are you producing your paperbacks? Are they mass-marke..."

The $5.99 price was going to be for mass market, but I don't expect that version to be a large revenue stream. I'm basically just offering the print version through Createspace because the costs are low and I like to have the book on my shelf. Most of the revenue is supposed to come from the three novella e-book releases and the full novel plus bonus material e-book release.

Does that make sense?

message 11: by Gamal (new)

Gamal Hennessy | 154 comments Don wrote: "Gamal,

All these things you've learned in your journey as a writer might be a great e-book. These are things writers new to the scene (and there are millions of them each year) could benefit from ..."

I tend to agree with you about the readers vs. writers concept Don. At the same time most of the writers I know are also readers. Also, based on my email list responses, most of my regular blog readers aren't writers. My insidious plan is for people to see my name enough times that they will be more inclined to buy my work when it comes out simply because they are comfortable with my voice.

A book on writing would certainly help that effort, but the blog posts are easier to wrap my head around now. Besides, this way I don't have to give you 15%. :D

message 12: by Don (new)

Don Satalic (donsatalic) | 135 comments

Curses! Okay, I'll drop back to 10 percent.

But here's an idea: Try an essay instead. Bundle up 30 pages into a cohesive essay and put it up on Amazon as a non-fiction writer's aid. Charge $0.99. See what happens. Put blurbs at the end of your essay about your novels with links to them.

There are literally MILLIONS of writers coming into this indie e-publishing market. You have useful information for them. Why not make a little money from your experiences and sell your novels at the same time? I will bet more people will see that essay than will ever find your blog.

And I still only want 10 percent?...I must be crazy.

message 13: by Lance (new)

Lance Charnes (lcharnes) | 414 comments Gamal wrote: "The $5.99 price was going to be for mass market, but I don't expect that version to be a large revenue stream. I'm basically just offering the print version through Createspace because the costs are low ..."

I don't know what CS's cost is for a paperback the size you're producing. I know I'd lose a minimum of $2.50/copy on mine, and neither CS nor LSI would allow me to price it at a loss.

How many pages is A Taste of Honey in MPBK format?

message 14: by Gamal (new)

Gamal Hennessy | 154 comments I think Smooth Operator costs me about $5 to print, which is probably why the $8.99 price point hasn't created many sales.

message 15: by Gamal (new)

Gamal Hennessy | 154 comments Gamal wrote: "I think Smooth Operator costs me about $5 to print, which is probably why the $8.99 price point hasn't created many sales."

I'm assuming Taste is going to be about 325 pages...