What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > Contemporary adult fiction: Older sister tells boy everything he says must be interesting (at least a 7 out of 10). Brother hardly talks at all?

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Stacy (new)

Stacy | 72 comments YA or adult fiction. The older sister tells her younger brother that everything that comes out of his mouth must be an 7 out of 10 on a scale of what's interesting. If I remember correctly, the brother hardly talks at all, because he thinks nothing he says will be an 7.

message 2: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 39296 comments Mod
Stacy, when did you read this or when was it published?

message 3: by Holly (new)

Holly (hollylovesbooks) | 761 comments Was the sister the main character, or the brother? Or was it about them equally?

Also, do you remember anything else about the plot? Was the whole 'not speaking' thing the main point of the book, or just a little part of it?

message 4: by Darcy (last edited Oct 20, 2014 07:47AM) (new)

Darcy (drokka) | 211 comments Something like that happens in

A Tiny Bit Marvellous

message 5: by Arielle (new)

Arielle Masters | 252 comments bumping

message 6: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (last edited Dec 18, 2017 11:46PM) (new)

Stacy is still looking for this and adds,

"This book would have been contemporary adult fiction, and I would’ve read it sometime after 1990."

message 7: by Stacy (new)

Stacy | 72 comments It’s not A Tiny Bit Marvelous. I never read that. The MC is the brother. The 7/10 comment is not the plot, but it does affect the MC in that he lacks confidence when he speaks later in life. I thought is was The Short History of a Prince by Jane Hamilton, but that’s not it. I feel like it had the same tone as that book, though.

message 8: by Stacy (new)

Stacy | 72 comments That detail is about all I remember, but it really stuck with me. I thought the sister was kind of right about that.

message 9: by Stacy (new)

Stacy | 72 comments Bump.

message 10: by Kris (new)

Kris | 35167 comments Mod
Stacy, what's the location - country, region, big city/small town?

Can you tell us more about the sister and brother - their ages, skills/interests, parents/friends/pet, etc.?

What's the genre or tone - funny at times, sad/somber, angsty, coming-of-age, etc.?

message 11: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Stacy, are you still looking for this or did you find it?