Goodreads Authors/Readers discussion

Fantasy > Tolkien Survey for Authors of Fantasy Lit

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Emily (new)

Emily | 2 comments Hey there, I'm Emily. I'm finishing my last year of college and I'm doing a dissertation project for my last class. I'm writing about J.R.R. Tolkien and how he influenced the fantasy literature genre. My professor is requiring that I interview/survey some authors to find out how they were influenced by him. I made a survey with a few questions and would love any input! Much thanks!

J.R.R. Tolkien Survey: https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/FJ5693J

message 2: by Jerry (new)

Jerry Pyper | 17 comments Interesting survey about a favorite author of mine.

message 3: by A.L. (new)

A.L. Butcher (alb2012) | 848 comments Done for you:)

message 4: by Nathan (new)

Nathan Preedy | 7 comments What a fantastic topic to write a dissertation about - I wish my college days had been as enjoyable as yours clearly are.

Survey submission on the way.

message 5: by D.J. (new)

D.J. Edwardson | 62 comments What a wonderful topic for a dissertation. Tolkien is one of my all-time favorites so this survey was a delight.

All the best to you with your studies.

message 6: by Emily (new)

Emily | 2 comments Wow, I was not expecting so many responses so quickly. Looks like the Goodreads community lives stronger than I thought! Thank you all for the input. I'm impressed with the comments I've gotten. You folks understand Tolkien.

message 7: by Arabella (new)

Arabella Thorne (arabella_thornejunocom) | 354 comments I wrote my first published novel because I was inspired by Tolkien : The Elf Lord's Revenge

message 8: by Francis (new)

Francis Franklin (francisjamesfranklin) | 43 comments Done :-)

message 9: by Arabella (new)

Arabella Thorne (arabella_thornejunocom) | 354 comments Did the survey!

message 10: by Christopher (last edited Nov 20, 2013 03:36PM) (new)

Christopher Bunn | 32 comments Great topic. I hope you come back and share your dissertation with us. Best of luck to you.

I mentioned it when I filled out the survey, but...track down Tolkien's essay "On Fairy Stories" and give it a read. It articulates a lot of his motivation and perspective.

message 11: by Philip (new)

Philip Dodd (philipdodd) | 65 comments I enjoyed taking part in your survey, Emily. I hope you find my contribution of use and that all goes well with your dissertation.

message 12: by Harrison (new)

Harrison Davies (harrisondavies) | 134 comments I guess I'm the only fantasy author who hasn't read Tolkien, nor do I ever intend to. I still completed your survey though.

message 13: by Tura (new)

Tura | 53 comments I presume you have enough replies, I do hope so, I did not fill it. There were couple of things I could not honestly answer - like if I was using a race of elves based on another book series altogether, which probably did get their inspiration from JRRT but modified it heavily, would I be right or wrong to tick that box? Also a lot of plot elements mentioned like Quest/Journey go back to Gilgamesh, so if I pick that, is it sure I did it because of JRRT, and not because of Moses or Star Wars or some such?