Sci-fi and Heroic Fantasy discussion

Past nominations (closed) > December 2013 Contemporary Novel Nominations

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (last edited Nov 19, 2013 07:03AM) (new)

This is the place to nominate a Contemporary Fantasy or Science Fiction novel for our December group read and discussion (beginning December 21.) (That will abut the year-end holidays, so I expect initial turnout, at least, will be light.)

(Note we have already selected our November Contemporary Novel for discussion, "Io Deceneus", to start in a couple of days. These nominations are for the following month.)

(A contemporary novel would typically have been published in the last 25 years. It's helpful if the novel is still in-print; it also shouldn't require having read previous novels in a series, so anyone can participate.)

You can review past nominees and winners in the Group's Bookshelf. (If you wish to continue a discussion of one of our past group selections, all those discussion topics are still open in our Book Discussions area.)

You need not have read the title you are nominating; after all, you'll be reading along. Feel free to say why you are making the nomination, if you care to.

Nominations will be open through Tuesday, November 26, by which time all our US members should be distracted by the upcoming long Thanksgiving holiday weekend. Then, to the aroma of Turkey wafting from the oven, I'll collect the nominees and post a poll for one week so members can choose among them.

message 2: by Deeptanshu (new)

Deeptanshu | 120 comments Well then I would like to nominate Empire of Black and Gold book one of the Shadows of the apt series by Adrain Tchaikovsky.

message 3: by Andreas (new)

Andreas Jack Vance died this year, and I've nominated Suldrun's Garden in August to commemorate him. I bring this start of the Lyonesse fantasy trilogy up again.

message 4: by Ben (new)

Ben Rowe (benwickens) | 430 comments Its a great book Andreas - been a while since I read it but I enjoyed it a lot. I will wait and see what comes up over the next few days. I think A Stranger in Olondria would be a great book to discuss but not sure if it is everyone's cup of tea.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Andreas wrote: "Jack Vance died this year, and I've nominated Suldrun's Garden in August to commemorate him."

But when you nominated it in August, it was in the Classic category, and it hasn't gotten any younger :(

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

Ben wrote: "I think A Stranger in Olondria would be a great book to discuss but not sure if it is everyone's cup of tea...."

Whether it's a cup of tea or not, was that a nomination? Or are you just trying to confuse an old man?

message 7: by Andreas (new)

Andreas G33z3r wrote: "But when you nominated it in August, it was in the Classic category, and it hasn't gotten any younger :( "

Oh my *facepalm*. I thought this is the classic nomination thread :D
Then I nominate something newer: The Golem and the Jinni from this year's GR choice award in the fantasy category.

message 8: by Ben (new)

Ben Rowe (benwickens) | 430 comments Not deliberately trying to confuse anyone but in my permenantly confused young man state I dont always express things clearly.

To keep things simple I will just go ahead and nominate Stranger in Olondria - I am only a few chapters in it but it already has some very memorable scenes that will stick with me a long time. It is a fantasy published this year that some reviewers have compared with Mervyn Peake and whilst I think that is a bit like comparing apples and oranges it is a literate fantasy novel.

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. (Nominations are now closed.) The Poll for selecting the Contemporary Novel you want to discuss in December is now open, so please Vote Here for your choice. This poll will be open through Wednesday, December 4.

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

It's the final day for voting for your choice of a contemporary novel you want to discuss with the group in December.

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

Our group selection for December Contemporary Novel Discussion is:

The Golem and the Jinni by Helene Wecker The Golem and the Jinni by Helene Wecker

The discussion is scheduled to begin December 21.