Cozy Mysteries discussion

Members Reading/Challenge Lists > Allie's Armchair Travel Challenge 2014 (50 States)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 170 (170 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by Allison (last edited Sep 14, 2014 08:56PM) (new)

Allison | 158 comments Alabama - Mayhem on the Winterland Express by Kathy Carmichael
Alaska
Arizona - Old Murders Never Die by Marja McGraw
Arkansas
California - Bruja Brouhaha by Rochelle Staab
Colorado - Swift Edge by Laura DiSilverio
Connecticut - Larceny and Lace by Annette Blair
Delaware
District of Columbia
Florida - Geezer Paradise by Robert Gannon
Georgia - Peach Pies and Alibis by Ellery Adams
Hawaii - Broken Ferns by Toby Neal
Idaho
Illinois - Fifty-Seven Heaven by Lonnie Cruse
Indiana - Home for a Spell by Madelyn Alt
Iowa
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Maine - Clammed Up by Barbara Ross OR Repair to Her Grave by Sarah Graves
Maryland - A Cookie Before Dying by Virginia Lowell
Massachusetts - The Witch's Ladder by Dana E. Donovan OR Stuck on Murder by Lucy Lawrence
Michigan - Murder Passes the Buck by Deb Baker
Minnesota - Granny Hooks a Crook: A Fuschia Minnesota Mystery by Julie Seedorf
Mississippi
Missouri - If Bread Could Rise to the Occasion by Paige Shelton OR Death by Chocolate by Sally Berneathy
Montana - The Moonglow Cafe by Deborah Garner
Nebraska
Nevada - Innocent in Las Vegas by A.R. Winters
New Hampshire - Live Free or Die by Jessie Crockett
New Jersey - Chance of a Ghost by E.J. Copperman
New Mexico - Cart Of Death by Mari Ulmer
New York - A Crafty Killing by Lorraine Bartlett
North Carolina -Every Trick in the Book by Lucy Arlington OR
A Dyeing Shame by Elizabeth Spann Craig OR Farm Fresh Murder by Paige Shelton
North Dakota - January Exposure by Sunny Benson
Ohio - Tough Cookie by M. Ruth Myers
Oklahoma - Beneath a Buried House by Bob Avey
Oregon - Mayhem in Christmas River by Meg Muldoon
Pennsylvania - Hearse and Buggy by Laura Bradford
Rhode Island
South Carolina - Board Stiff by Kendel Lynn
South Dakota
Tennessee - That Old Flame of Mine by J.J. Cook
Texas - On The Slam: A Bridge Club Mystery by Honor Hartman
Utah - The Final Arrangement by Annie Adams
Vermont - Snow White and the Hunter by Sara Barton
Virginia - 50% Off Murder by Josie Belle OR Death of an Irish Diva by Mollie Cox Bryan
Washington - Murder Strikes a Pose by Tracy Weber OR
INN KEEPING WITH MURDERby Lynn Bohart
West Virginia
Wisconsin
Wyoming - Diary of Murder by Jean Henry Mead

message 2: by Allison (new)

Allison | 158 comments So the start date is 11/19/2013 to 12/31/14 and we'll see how it goes...I've never done a challenge before so this will be interesting.
Anyone can join in and I thank Briansgirl and the rest of the Cosy Mysteries group for the idea.

message 3: by Nancy (last edited Nov 19, 2013 08:22AM) (new)

Nancy Jarvis (screalwriter) | 152 comments I'm confused. Is the goal to read a book set in each of the states like for California, Regan McHenry Real Estate Mysteries?

message 4: by Allison (new)

Allison | 158 comments Yes. I saw the idea on another thread and copied it here for myself basically but if you'd like to join me that would be great!

message 5: by Shelly (new)

Shelly 144 Hmmm... This could be interesting. Definitely have to keep a running list, but I'm up for a good challenge. :)

message 6: by Allison (new)

Allison | 158 comments Hmmm...I have to figure out how to add the links to the books properly but in the meantime I'm just adding them.

message 7: by Leslie (new)

Leslie Allison wrote: "Hmmm...I have to figure out how to add the links to the books properly but in the meantime I'm just adding them."

On the upper right of the comment box, click on "add book/author" (only available on the website, not the mobile apps).

message 8: by Allison (new)

Allison | 158 comments Leslie wrote: "Allison wrote: "Hmmm...I have to figure out how to add the links to the books properly but in the meantime I'm just adding them."

On the upper right of the comment box, click on "add book/author" ..."

Oh Thanks, Leslie. I do that but it adds the links to the bottom of the comment - not by the state where I had the cursor...am I doing something wrong?

message 9: by Marisa, Cozy Mysteries Assistant Moderator (new)

Marisa (moretta) | 3837 comments Mod
You aren't doing anything wrong. It works that way.

message 10: by Heather L , Cozy Mysteries Moderator (new)

Heather L  (wordtrix) | 18139 comments Mod
As Marisa said, it automatically adds the links to the bottom of your post. You will have to cut and paste to move the title/author to the approprriate state.

message 11: by Heather L , Cozy Mysteries Moderator (new)

Hi Susan! You should start your own member reading list instead of posting your challenge books on someone else's list. It's real easy to do--just go to the Members Reading/Challenge Lists main board, then over on the right above "last activity" you'll see a link that says "New Topic." Click on that, then put your name in the subject line (eg: Susan's Challenge List) so it's easy for you to find again. ☺

message 12: by Susan (new)

Susan Sorry! I misread this and thought Allie was inviting others to join her challenge.

message 13: by Allison (new)

Allison | 158 comments Susan wrote: "Sorry! I misread this and thought Allie was inviting others to join her challenge."

Susan, You are more than welcome to join in on this one if you'd like. The more the merrier! You can copy the list of states in a comment and then just update/edit it if you'd like. Or, like Heather suggested you could start a thread for yourself. Either way I'd love to see what you are reading. :)

message 14: by Allison (new)

Allison | 158 comments I did it! i managed to get the link on a book! I will go back and do the others for anyone interested when I have a chance. Thanks for all the help, ladies!

message 15: by Allison (new)

Allison | 158 comments To anyone following: I took a break from mysteries, cozies and the like for the month of December. It is my habit to read only Christmas books during this time. I will be back on track starting January 1st and will update as I finish reading "around the States."
Have a wonderful Holiday!

message 16: by Leslie (new)

Leslie Allison wrote: "To anyone following: I took a break from mysteries, cozies and the like for the month of December. It is my habit to read only Christmas books during this time. I will be back on track starting Jan..."

:) Merry Christmas to you too!

message 17: by Heather L , Cozy Mysteries Moderator (new)

Merry Christmas, Allison! I've read a lot of non-mystery Christmas books this month as well. ☺

message 18: by Allison (new)

Allison | 158 comments Heather L wrote: "Merry Christmas, Allison! I've read a lot of non-mystery Christmas books this month as well. ☺"

Hello Heather! Hope you had a wonderful holiday. I managed to find some Christmas themed cozies! Just finished Mayhem in Christmas River by Meg Muldoon. Really enjoyed it. Found several more on Amazon as well.

message 19: by Allison (new)

Allison | 158 comments Somehow managed to read 2 cozies set in Washington state. I actually figured it would be hard to find books set there.

message 20: by Allison (new)

Allison | 158 comments Allison wrote: "Somehow managed to read 2 cozies set in Washington state. I actually figured it would be hard to find books set there."

Now I've managed to read 2 cozies set in North Carolina. At this rate I will never get through all 50 states, lol. Anybody have any suggestions for books set in maybe, Wyoming or Idaho? Anywhere that's harder to find stories based in?

message 21: by Heather L , Cozy Mysteries Moderator (new)

I read Blue Heaven by C.J. Box for Idaho. Not a cozy mystery, but it was a really good suspense. Another by him, Open Season is set in Wyoming -- it's not the book I read for this challenge, but it is in Mount TBR.

message 22: by Betty (new)

Betty (bettylouise54) | 581 comments Joanne Pence has oneAncient Echoes set in Idaho. I have not read. Is on my tbr pile.

message 23: by Marisa, Cozy Mysteries Assistant Moderator (last edited Jan 17, 2014 01:03PM) (new)

For Idaho:
* The Bookwoman's Last Fling

For Wyoming:
* The Eagle Catcher
* Tensleep

And quite difficult: North Dakota, that I've found a Kindle freebie: January Exposure

message 24: by Allison (new)

Allison | 158 comments Heather, Betty and Marisa - THANK YOU all for the ideas! I went ahead and got January Exposure (it was $2.99) because someone said it involved hockey & cheesecake, lol, things dear to my heart! I am still looking at the others but again, thank you, for the suggestions.

message 25: by Marisa, Cozy Mysteries Assistant Moderator (new)

Allison, sorry about the misunderstanding. It was free when I purchased it (on Feb. 2013).

message 26: by Allison (new)

Allison | 158 comments Marisa wrote: "Allison, sorry about the misunderstanding. It was free when I purchased it (on Feb. 2013)."

Oh, no worries. It still looks good at $2.99 to me :)

message 27: by Allison (new)

Allison | 158 comments Who knew I would read so many books set in No Carolina? I finished a 3rd one just this a.m. - I guess I need to check what state the story is set in before I start reading it, lol. Looking up some of the books others recommended in this post and maybe it's time for a "road trip" to North Dakota to read
January Exposureby Sunny Benson

message 28: by Allison (new)

Allison | 158 comments I found one set in New Hampshire if anyone is interested

Live Free or Die by Jessie Crockett

message 29: by Allison (new)

Allison | 158 comments About 33 more states to go.
Anyone know of a cosy mystery set in the District of Columbia?

message 30: by Heather L , Cozy Mysteries Moderator (new)

Julie Hyzy has a DC series, first book is State of the Onion. Margaret Truman also has a series set in DC, beginning with Murder in the White House.

message 31: by Allison (new)

Allison | 158 comments Heather L wrote: "Julie Hyzy has a DC series, first book is State of the Onion. Margaret Truman also has a series set in DC, beginning with Murder in the White House."

Oh thank you! I had forgotten about Margaret Truman's mysteries.

message 32: by Heather L , Cozy Mysteries Moderator (new)

You are most welcome! ☺

message 33: by Allison (new)

Allison | 158 comments Just curious if anyone else is doing a 50 States list and how are you doing so far? Are you reading just 1 genre of books or all kinds?

message 34: by Heather L , Cozy Mysteries Moderator (new)

I still have seven states to finish for this challenge, and actually have books for four of them. Mine have all been within the mystery genre -- mostly cozies, but also a few rom-suspense or not-so-cozy mysteries.

message 35: by Leslie (last edited Feb 24, 2014 01:11PM) (new)

Leslie Allison wrote: "Just curious if anyone else is doing a 50 States list and how are you doing so far? Are you reading just 1 genre of books or all kinds?"

I am still working on mine - I am trying to include mostly mysteries but I do have a couple of books that aren't. I am about 2/3 through and I started in August of 2012, so you can see how slow I have been going (I read too much English stuff!)...

message 36: by Marisa, Cozy Mysteries Assistant Moderator (new)

I still have four states to finish, and I've chosen books for all of them, but I'm expecting it to fit into another challenge (or I find another one I like more ;) )

Allyson, have you liked "January exposure"?

message 37: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) If you are looking for Massachusetts cozies, the Holly Winter series by Susan Conant is set in Cambridge, Massachusetts - though the one I am reading now - Creature Discomforts - is set in Maine.

message 38: by Allison (new)

Allison | 158 comments Marisa wrote: "I still have four states to finish, and I've chosen books for all of them, but I'm expecting it to fit into another challenge (or I find another one I like more ;) )

Allyson, have you liked "Janua..."

Oh yes - I really liked January Exposure and in fact, just looked yesterday to see if there was 2nd in the series. Not yet. The family in the book reminded me very strongly of the quirky cast of characters that I call family, lol. I suggest you eat cheesecake while reading this one, lol.

message 39: by Allison (new)

Allison | 158 comments Leslie wrote: "Allison wrote: "Just curious if anyone else is doing a 50 States list and how are you doing so far? Are you reading just 1 genre of books or all kinds?"

I am still working on mine - I am trying to..."

WOW - you gals (Heather L, Maris and Leslie) are rocking this challenge! I will have to check our your lists for books to read for mine. That will be so great as I am having a hard time finding books for certain states and too many for other states, lol.

message 40: by Heather L , Cozy Mysteries Moderator (new)

Allison ~ Not rocking the challenge that much, considering how long I've been working at this one, LOL. I just posted an updated list in the original challenge thread.

message 41: by Marisa, Cozy Mysteries Assistant Moderator (new)

I agree with Heather, I've been working at this one a loooong time ;)

message 42: by Allison (new)

Allison | 158 comments Oh, well then if I take a while to get mine done then I am in good company. That takes some of the pressure off and I'm all for that.

message 43: by Heather L , Cozy Mysteries Moderator (new)

Nope, no pressure here like with the monthly mini-challenges. Probably wouldn't have taken me as long as it has, were it not for the fact I read across different genres.

message 44: by Allison (new)

Allison | 158 comments Heather L wrote: "Nope, no pressure here like with the monthly mini-challenges. Probably wouldn't have taken me as long as it has, were it not for the fact I read across different genres."

I can imagine. There's just so much out there to read I can't stick with just one thing either. For instance, I am currently reading the classic, Peter pan by J.M. Barrie as well as a Fantasy book, Libriomancer by Jim C. Hines and even a comic, Girl Genius #7 by Phil & Kaja Foglio. There's even a serial novel, The Strangler Vine by M.J. Carter being read as well.

message 45: by Heather L , Cozy Mysteries Moderator (last edited Feb 26, 2014 10:10AM) (new)

Small world -- Peter Pan is in my TBR pile for March, the group read for the classics group I'm in here at GR. I just finished a YA fantasy, Dark Passage, and now back to a cozy.

message 46: by Allison (new)

Allison | 158 comments Heather L wrote: "Small world -- Peter Pan is in my TBR pile for March, the group read for the classics group I'm in here at GR. I just finished a YA fantasy, Dark Passage, and now back to a cozy."

I am actually reading Peter & Wendy (not Peter Pan) as I stated above although I believe it's the same? I think Peter & Wendy was the original title? Anyway, we are doing a buddy read of Peter & Wendy if you want to read along...
Did you like Dark Passage?

message 47: by Heather L , Cozy Mysteries Moderator (new)

Yes, basically the same novel, though from what I found online Peter and Wendy is an abridged version of Peter Pan -- which is weird, since it's not that long a novel. I can see a weekend movie marathon to accompany this book: Peter Pan (I have both the Disney animated and 2004 live cast versions), Hook, and Finding Neverland.

Dark Passage was good -- kept me up late a couple nights in a row. At least it didn't end with as big a cliffhanger as book five did -- that made me want to scream. The last book in the series (seven) is due out this April. My sister and BIL got me hooked on this series, though they have the advantage of actually having been to the parks. We were on even ground, so to speak, with books five and six as they took place on a Disney cruise ship. She hasn't talked BIL into that one yet, LOL.

message 48: by Allison (new)

Allison | 158 comments Heather L wrote: "Yes, basically the same novel, though from what I found online Peter and Wendy is an abridged version of Peter Pan -- which is weird, since it's not that long a novel. I can see a weekend movie mar..."

Oh the movie marathon sounds wonderful! Count me in, lol. I love doing things like that - movies and books...oh, and food! Need to have some snacks too!

Well if Peter & Wendy is the abridged version of Peter Pan then my goodness it's probably gonna be boring. I read the first 4 chapters of P & W last night and I don't believe anything happened at all - I think the author was just writing to put words on paper. I hope the version you read is better.

I haven't read Dark Passage yet. It's on my TBR. I have read, I believe, the first 4 in that series. I have really loved them. Been to Disneyland several times but not to DWorld or on the cruise ship either. Would love to visit DWorld - it's on my bucket list. In the meantime, I read a lot of Disney books.

message 49: by Heather L , Cozy Mysteries Moderator (new)

Ah, a fellow Kingdom Keepers fan! ☺

My sister and BIL also got me hooked on Rick Riordan. I need to read The Mark of Athena so I can get the next book in that series.

message 50: by Allison (new)

Allison | 158 comments Heather L wrote: "Ah, a fellow Kingdom Keepers fan! ☺

My sister and BIL also got me hooked on Rick Riordan. I need to read The Mark of Athena so I can get the next book in that series."

Yes, I love Kingdom Keepers! I'm really a kid at heart so it's right up my alley.
I've been reading other things lately then the cosy mysteries for this thread. I have to do some research and get some books for States I haven't read yet. I'll get back on track soon I think.

« previous 1 3 4