Bisky's Twitterling's Scribbles! discussion

Books/Characters > Posting Reviews

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kevin (new)

Kevin (kevingsummers) | 19 comments Bisky asked me to move this question to its own folder here:

How do you feel about posting Amazon/Goodreads reviews of your books on your facebook/twitter page? I've seen a lot of authors do this, but none of the big names. Anyone have an opinion on this? Thanks!

message 2: by Brian (new)

Brian Basham (brianbasham) | 390 comments The big name authors get so many that it wouldn't be worth their time. It's just another level of interaction with your readers. I plan on doing it with a personal message added. If you have a large following that could be too time consuming. If you are trying to build a following it couldn't hurt.

message 3: by Cassandra (new)

Cassandra Lawson | 91 comments I hit the like button for the reviews I get so they appear on my personal page but I've never put them on my author page. I kind of suck at the social media stuff. I sit down at my computer and what I really want to do is write.

Probably the most socially media savvy author I've seen is Shannon Thompson, and she posts reviews. She must be doing something right because if I remember correctly the indie publishing house she is signed with hired her as their social media director.

message 4: by Carl (new)

Carl I usually do. If you all want to read them then go ahead. Sometimes I find reviews useful.

message 5: by Harmony (new)

Harmony Kent (harmonyk) I've never done this, but perhaps I should. Great question Kevin :)

message 6: by G.G. (new)

G.G. (ggatcheson) | 1053 comments Mod
I've done it once. I posted my only two amazon reviews on facebook in one post. I was so ecstatic about them that I had to share. Will I do it again? I thought the answer would be no, but at the rate they are coming in, if another one ever shows up I might have to do it all over again. :>

message 7: by J. David (new)

J. David Clarke (clarketacular) | 418 comments I definitely do this. I post the review, then add comments of my own thanking the reviewer for reading and taking the time to review, and may respond to certain things, in general, like "glad you liked John, he's one of my favorite characters and I really enjoy writing him".

I have been advised NOT to do this on review sites, because it can be interpreted as unwanted badgering of readers, but on my own FB page, yes I do respond. To me, it's like getting fan mail. Someone is taking the time to read my work and feels strongly enough about it to take time out of their day to tell me they liked it, I'm going to acknowledge their passion for my work and repay their kindness. I will do this for as long as I am able.

message 8: by Mark (new)

Mark Bordner J. wrote: "I definitely do this. I post the review, then add comments of my own thanking the reviewer for reading and taking the time to review, and may respond to certain things, in general, like "glad you l..."

Well said, I totally agree.

message 9: by Kevin (new)

Kevin (kevingsummers) | 19 comments As a follow up, I've posted (with a space of a week in between) two Amazon reviews onto my facebook page. Quite a few likes and comments, so I'm going to say that this was a win. Did it increase sales? Actually, I think it might have. Anway, I think so long as I'm not doing it every day, this is a good thing to do.

message 10: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Wolfenberger | 85 comments I think it's perfectly fine to post/tweet reviews, but you should be aware that this could also scare off potential readers. Try not to overuse them. You don't want to come off as too arrogant, given that the reviews you post are going to be all about how great your book/writing is. Facebook and Twitter are your personal messaging boards, so whatever you say (even if quoted from a review) is coming directly from you.

For example, "This author is incredible! Definitely buy his book! You won't regret it!"

Why? This tells me almost nothing. What's the book about? Why should I buy it? Who is this reviewer to make such a recommendation?

Personally, I'm much more likely to click on a twitter link that reads "Like epic, space adventures? Sprawling, galaxy-wide battle? Check out my book at..." or "For four days only, my book Such-And-Such is available for FREE! Pick it up on Amazon and let me know what you think."

If you're going to post reviews, make sure they're informative. And be picky about those you post. I don't post reviews myself, but I think it can be a great way of interacting with readers and bringing news ones in if done correctly.

message 11: by Deb (new)

Deb (soulhaven) | 103 comments I've done the occasional one to my Twitter feed, and my favourite ones to my FB Page... Really can't say if they boosted sales... Maybe?

Will I do it again? Probably with a new release during its first few months or so... and, sure, any truly glowing ones... I love those ones!