The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

WINTER CHALLENGE 2013 > 30.7 - Delicious Dee's Task: Swim, Bike, Run

Comments Showing 1-50 of 131 (131 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Dlmrose (last edited Nov 27, 2013 04:56PM) (new)

Dlmrose | 17852 comments Mod
30.7 - Delicious Dee's Task: Swim, Bike, Run

When this season started, I honestly wasn’t sure if I was going to finish it, or actually even compete, because I had signed up to do a Half-Ironman Triathlon at the end of October, and the first part of the season was going to be right in my peak training time. But thankfully, I was able to manage balancing work (blech), reading (yay) and training (either blech or yay depending on the day). So what better way to celebrate my accomplishment of completing 70.3 miles, than with a task ;)

For this task, you will read roll 2 dice and read 2 books for the options listed below. If you roll doubles, roll again until you get 2 different numbers.

Option 1 - Triathlon has a long history both in the US and around the world and there have been quite a few books written about it.

Read a book from Popular Triathlon Books
Required: if using this option, list which page the book appears on)
OR
Read a book where the authors initials appear in the word TRIATHLON – all initials MUST be included (i.e. middle initials, co-authors). Initials can only be used once unless it appears more than once in the word, like TriaThlon

Option 2 - Swim – The swim is normally my favorite part of the race (although I did struggle this time).

Because the swim can take place in a variety of different bodies of water depending on the race, read a book that has a picture of a body of water that is big enough to swim in on the cover. For example, a river, a lake, a pond, the ocean, a pool would count.
Required – Include the cover in your post

Option 3 - Bike – The bike is the longest part of the race, but also one of my most enjoyable – there is something about just being on the road, under your own power.

Read a book that has a recognizable/traditional method of transport on the cover that is non-motorized – i.e. a bike, a horse, a buggy, a skateboard
Required – Include the cover in your post

Option 4 - Run – The run is always the hardest part for me, not only because by the end of the race, I am tired, but also because in general, I’m not a fan of running (and yes, I know its weird that I do running races, but don’t like running)…I’m always looking for ways to improve on my running and thankfully there have been lots of books written about it.

Read a non-fiction book about a skill you want to improve– it could be a physical activity, something crafty or even something work-based

Option 5 - Transition – among triathletes there is the running joke that there is a 4th event in the race, aside from the swim, bike, run – and that is the transition. Basically that is the time, where the athlete goes from the swim to the bike, or the bike to the run…in big races, the transition times can make or break your race – a good transition might be the difference between winning and coming second, and a bad transition might leave you off the podium.

Since there are 2 transitions in any race, read an anthology that has AT LEAST 2 transition books – defined as a book that has a series marking of .5 or similar on the series. The position in the series MUST show on the main GR page
ex. On the Prowl- Alpha & Omega 0.5, Monère: Children of the Moon #2.5, Dorina Basarab #1.1, World of the Lupi #3.5

Option 6 and because I’m a sucker – the picture below is from the World Championships Triathlon that was held in Kona, Hawaii on Oct 12, 2013 – so 2 weeks before my race – it was a great day to watch, but the best picture I saw was  photo 0dc2bbdf-5d54-4466-b9fe-b81a1b82b446.jpg .
The guy is Tim O’Donnell who came 5th in the men’s race and the girl is his finance, Miranda “Rinnie” Carfrae who not only won the women’s race, but set a new course record. I’ve been saying that the picture needs to be used as inspiration for a romance novel.

Read a book that has ROMANCE as a listed genre on the main (any sub-genres of romance count)

Required: State the numbers you rolled

message 2: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7688 comments Reserved

message 3: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7688 comments Reserved

message 4: by Dlmrose (new)

This help thread is open!

message 5: by Kathy G. (new)

Kathy G. | 2073 comments Would you consider these a trilogy?
Some things say "companion novels."

Graceling (Graceling Realm, #1) by Kristin Cashore

message 6: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7688 comments Are you talking for option 5?

message 7: by Kathy G. (new)

Kathy G. | 2073 comments sorry- got mixed up--- thought I was supposed to read
a book in a trilogy--- :-)

message 8: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7688 comments Haha - I was thinking I needed more coffee

message 9: by Ty (last edited Nov 19, 2013 05:48AM) (new)

Ty  | 563 comments congrats on finishing your first half-ironman!

for option 3, would you take, um, walking? Like, obviously walking/taking a step?
ex: Origin (Lux, #4) by Jennifer L. Armentrout Heart of Obsidian (Psy-Changeling, #12) by Nalini Singh

message 10: by Kathy G. (new)

Kathy G. | 2073 comments Option 1- triathlon--- trilogy?
Same thing? HAAA

message 11: by Susan A (new)

Susan A Congrats! Love this task.

Please consider for approval (will deal with ebook verification if approved)

I rolled 2 and 3
For option 3 Read a book that has a method of transport on the cover that is non-motorized

The Satyr's Song by A.J. Marcus

I think that's an elephant ride on the cover. Good for transportation?

message 12: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7688 comments Sorry TY - I'm looking for something that doesn't involve walking/running

Susan - pending Ebooks length that works - I can see someone riding it just point out approval in your post

message 13: by Karen Michele (new)

Karen Michele Burns (klibrary) | 1744 comments Could I check this for #5 to make sure I understand correctly?
I would like to read:

The Kill Order by James Dashner

It's listed as 0.5 and another book in the series is a 2.5.

Am I right that I could actually read any book in that series since it has 2 transition books listed, or is one of the .5s the only option?

message 14: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7688 comments The task is an anthology that has at least 2 transition books it in - so the kill order by itself wouldn't work but if it was published in a n anthology with another .5 (or similar) it would - make sense?

message 15: by Dlmrose (new)

Does a surfboard work for option 3? Saltwater Buddha A Surfer's Quest to Find Zen on the Sea by Jaimal Yogis

message 16: by Dee (last edited Nov 19, 2013 07:07AM) (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7688 comments Dlmrose - yes - because I've seen ppl on surf-boards do some serious paddling to get places

message 17: by Dlmrose (new)

Dee wrote: "Dlmrose - yes - because I've seen ppl on surf-boards do some serious paddling to get places"

thanks

message 19: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7688 comments Candy - I see more than 1 .5 type story in the anthology - so yes it does work

message 20: by Karen Michele (last edited Nov 19, 2013 10:17AM) (new)

Karen Michele Burns (klibrary) | 1744 comments Dee wrote: "The task is an anthology that has at least 2 transition books it in - so the kill order by itself wouldn't work but if it was published in a n anthology with another .5 (or similar) it would - mak..."

Hmmm - I guess I need some more suggestions, then. Anybody? I don't think this is in my usual reading realm;)

PS - I do understand what this kind of anthology is, now, but I don't think I've ever read one like this. I have lots of other anthologies on my TBR, but not this kind. If anyone knows a good one by YA authors, I would love to know about it!

message 21: by Emily (new)

Emily | 682 comments Karen GHHS wrote: "Dee wrote: "The task is an anthology that has at least 2 transition books it in - so the kill order by itself wouldn't work but if it was published in a n anthology with another .5 (or similar) it..."

Dee - can the anthology for #5 contain books all from the same series? I'm wondering - for Karen - if Delirium Stories: Hana, Annabel, and Raven would work. It's listed as "Delirium #1.4, 1.5, 2.5"

message 22: by Dionisia (new)

Dionisia (therabidreader) | 436 comments I rolled a #5 and feel completely out of my element. Poking around Goodreads is turning up a lot of urban fantasy, paranormal romance, romance, and erotica. These are not genres that typically turn my crank. Very very interested to see what others have selected or could recommend.

Kate wrote: "Dee - can the anthology for #5 contain books all from the same series? I'm wondering - for Karen - if Delirium Stories: Hana, Annabel, and Raven would work..."

Great question!

message 23: by Karen Michele (new)

Karen Michele Burns (klibrary) | 1744 comments Kate wrote: "Karen GHHS wrote: "Dee wrote: "The task is an anthology that has at least 2 transition books it in - so the kill order by itself wouldn't work but if it was published in a n anthology with another..."

This one would be perfect for me if it works. Thanks, Kate and please say yes, Dee!

Also, congratulations on your triathlon finish. I love the task - I was just a bit stymied by #5. Usually, the shorter .5s in YA are just published as eBooks and are often too short to use for the challenge. I loved the Delirium trilogy and the anthology is even available at my public library. I also ordered it for my school library and I'll be interested to see if it's popular with my teens.

message 24: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7688 comments Yes that would work Katie!

message 25: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7688 comments Dionisa - what kind of stuff do u normally read - maybe someone can help you out

message 26: by Karen Michele (new)

Karen Michele Burns (klibrary) | 1744 comments Dee wrote: "Yes that would work Katie!"

Hooray, thanks!

message 27: by Emily (new)

Emily | 682 comments Yay! I'm glad I could help you out, Karen. I actually rolled a 5 as well, but fortunately for me I'm an urban fantasy fan, so there were plenty to choose from there. :)

message 28: by Dionisia (new)

Dionisia (therabidreader) | 436 comments Dee wrote: "Dionisa - what kind of stuff do u normally read - maybe someone can help you out"

I enjoy speculative fiction. If anyone knows of a horror, post-apocalyptic or dystopian anthology that would fit this task I would be keenly interested. Is there anything out there that doesn't have such an intense romantic focus?

message 29: by Dlmrose (new)

Dionisia wrote: "Dee wrote: "Dionisa - what kind of stuff do u normally read - maybe someone can help you out"

I enjoy speculative fiction. If anyone knows of a horror, post-apocalyptic or dystopian anthology that..."

Maybe Darkest Worlds: A Dystopian Anthology?

message 30: by Fandury (new)

Fandury | 975 comments Dionisia wrote: "Dee wrote: "Dionisa - what kind of stuff do u normally read - maybe someone can help you out"

I enjoy speculative fiction. If anyone knows of a horror, post-apocalyptic or dystopian anthology that..."

I skimmed through my anthology shelf, and perhaps these are also interesting:

Unfettered More fantasy than horror

Songs of Love and Death: All-Original Tales of Star-Crossed Love Romantic theme, but there are really nice (not mushy) stories in there.

Down These Strange Streets Urban Fantasy anthology

An Apple for the Creature Also Urban Fantasy with a school theme

Blood Lite III: Aftertaste A horror with humor anthology

All of these are not very have on the romance (even the songs of love and death anthology).

Eepa *mm loving bookworm* (eepa) | 188 comments Is that a foggy lake in the cover? Beggars and Choosers by Mia Kerick

And for the option 4 can I read some handy craft book, like Mosaics - An Illustrated Book for Beginners? I'm big on handy crafts and I tend to buy books related to that topic to get inspiration.

message 32: by Donna Jo (new)

Donna Jo Atwood | 3157 comments Dee, for option 3 will Aimless Love New and Selected Poems by Billy Collins work with the kiddie car? Even though it's a dog riding it?

By the way, good for you for competing in triathalons. At 71, I have decided to forgo my couch potato slug status and am starting training (I've got a loooong way to go) for next spring running with my daughter, sister, and neice in a local 5K. Daughter is thinking of moving up to 1/2 marathon.

message 33: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7688 comments Donna Jo - yep that will work (since I didn't specify human on transport)

And thanks - you should check out the couch to 5k program (c25k) - it's based around run/walk intervals - I use them even for my long races

message 34: by Dionisia (new)

Dionisia (therabidreader) | 436 comments Thanks y'all!

message 35: by Donna Jo (new)

Donna Jo Atwood | 3157 comments Dee wrote: "Donna Jo - yep that will work (since I didn't specify human on transport)

And thanks - you should check out the couch to 5k program (c25k) - it's based around run/walk intervals - I use them even ..."

Thanks, Dee. And my daughter had pointed me at the Couch to 5K too. I'm still just walking. I haven't run anywhere anytime since I broke my ankle about 20 years ago. So I'm doing more of a Tim Conway-little-old-man shuffle at this point. It is getting easier and I do have until April so there is hope for me yet.

message 36: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7688 comments step by step, a little more every day - and i'll cheer you on ;)

message 37: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7688 comments Eepa (Eija) wrote: "Is that a foggy lake in the cover? Beggars and Choosers by Mia Kerick

And for the option 4 can I read some handy craft book, like Mosaics - An Illustrated Book for Beginners..."

I can see the reflection in the water for Beggers and choosers so that is a yes

but the Mosaics one isn't going to be long-enough significantly - unless it differs from the Amazon version because that has it at 18 pages...

message 38: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7688 comments Donna Jo wrote: "Dee, for option 3 will Aimless Love New and Selected Poems by Billy Collins work with the kiddie car? Even though it's a dog riding it?

By the way, good for you for competing in triathalons...."

step by step, a little more every day - and i'll cheer you on ;)

message 39: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7688 comments Donna Jo wrote: "Dee, for option 3 will Aimless Love New and Selected Poems by Billy Collins work with the kiddie car? Even though it's a dog riding it?"

yes, the dog on the bike will work

Katherine (DirectorKat) (directorkat) | 64 comments Can I use the following:
For Option 1: Ghostgirl by Tonya Hurley.
For Option 6:The Bookstore by Deborah Meyler.

message 41: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7688 comments Yep - they both work katherine

message 42: by Bec (new)

Bec (foreverfnm) | 135 comments Congrats on doing a half triathalon... AND FINISHING THE CHALLENGE. Do you sleep?

Wondering if I could read Breaking Point (Joe Pickett, #13) by C.J. Box for option 2 - swim. Pretty sure that is a lake at the bottom

message 43: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7688 comments Looks like a lake to me ;) and yep I slept - now cleaning the house - whole ' other story - lol

message 44: by Bea (new)

Bea | 4081 comments Dee wrote: "Looks like a lake to me ;) and yep I slept - now cleaning the house - whole ' other story - lol"

Work and health issues got so intense this year along with mother's health that my wonderful husband hired a maid in June to clean our house. She now comes every other week. What a wonder that is! And birthday, anniversary, and Hannukkah all rolled into one!

message 45: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7688 comments It was very tempting to do that Bea - I may do it when I start training again next year

message 46: by Bea (new)

Bea | 4081 comments Dee wrote: "It was very tempting to do that Bea - I may do it when I start training again next year"

I had a lot of guilt over it. Initially it felt like I was not able to do what I should as SUPER WOMAN and that was bad. Then I realized it was a gift. Loved it since...and he pays for it, which is a bonus.

message 47: by Robin (Saturndoo) (last edited Nov 22, 2013 11:29AM) (new)

Robin (Saturndoo) (robinsaturndoo) | 1148 comments I rolled 3 & 6

Does canoe/kayak work for option 3?

Summer At Willow Lake (Lakeshore Chronicles, #1) by Susan Wiggs

message 48: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7688 comments Yes robin

Robin (Saturndoo) (robinsaturndoo) | 1148 comments Dee wrote: "Yes robin"

Thanks Dee!!! By the way, great task :)

message 50: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7688 comments thanks Robin!!

« previous 1 3