Outlander (Outlander, #1) Outlander discussion

Should I finish this book? (Spoilers)

Comments Showing 1-35 of 35 (35 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Kitten Hey all,
So it's a bit silly, but I bought this book thinking it was sort of your typical romance with a HEA. Now I am about 50% through and had to stop reading and start googling spoilers.
I am the sort of person who can't stand to read anything that doesn't end HEA (I know, I'm a sap). Anyway, this book is making me really tense. And once I realized they are apart for 20 years and he marries Laoghaire in another book, it just made me want to stop reading altogether.
So I need to know, are they going to end up together or not? Should I keep reading? I don't mind if you give me spoilers, in fact I'd prefer it!
Cheers.

Kristina S Hey! I'm assuming you know but the series has 7 books so far with one more coming out next year. I'd definitely recommend continuing the read. They do separate for a time, but their reunion is so amazing! If anything their separation make them stronger. I absolutely love this series…it just sucks you in. One of my favorite reads. So far, they are still together and I doubt anything will tear them apart. (PS I felt so bad giving you that spoiler…but you asked for it!, lol)

Kitten Thanks for the reply :) I did know it was a series, which was part of the reason I was struggling with continuing. I just didn't want to get sucked into it and have to keep reading the other books only to find out in the end it wasn't what I was hoping for.
And yes, thank you for the spoilers. I think I am one of the rare people who actually enjoys them!

Kristina S Well, in honesty the last book out does end in a cliffhanger so you may want to wait until the new one comes out to keep reading. Hope you like the books!

message 5: by Ciara (new) - added it

Ciara Ballintyne Keep reading, although in my opinion the first two are the best two. It's not nearly so interesting after they leave Scotland. I don't normally read romances, but I loved this book (so did my Dad...) and we normally read epic fantasy.

Samantha Grace I felt very tense reading this book and kept asking my friends who had read it if it would have a happy ending. There are moments that are so romantic and beautiful, but there are some really tough to take moments too. The couple is together at the end of this book, although I wouldn't call it a classic HEA.

I started reading the second book in the series, but I had to set it aside because the beginning was so heart-wrenchingly sad to me. I'll probably pick it up again later since I know they are together, but I think I can only take it in small doses.

Mrsbooks I've heard others say that the writer has promised a HEA at the end of the series. But yes you should keep reading. I'm actually only on book 5 myself. I've been on it for a long time I find it a bit boring but others tell me it's the less interesting one out of the series.

Emmelie ohh, keep reading! I love theese books! I'm about to start on the fourth one myself.
ps. couldn´t stop reading the third one.

Kitten Samantha wrote: "I felt very tense reading this book and kept asking my friends who had read it if it would have a happy ending. There are moments that are so romantic and beautiful, but there are some really tough..."

That is exactly how I feel. I keep picking it up and setting it down, taking small bits at a time. It's unusual for me since I generally devour books asap.

Kitten I think I am going to keep reading, and just hope for a HEA when the series finishes. Thanks for all the replies.

message 11: by Dee (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dee The author has promised an ultimate HEA - I consider these true romance because they include the good, the bad and the ugly

message 12: by Ciara (new) - added it

Ciara Ballintyne Mrsbooks wrote: "I've heard others say that the writer has promised a HEA at the end of the series. But yes you should keep reading. I'm actually only on book 5 myself. I've been on it for a long time I find it a..."

Book 5 was so boring. I zipped through six much faster.

Mrsbooks gertt wrote: "Mrsbooks wrote: "I've heard others say that the writer has promised a HEA at the end of the series. But yes you should keep reading. I'm actually only on book 5 myself. I've been on it for a long..."

Since she's writing more books she could always kill one of the characters in the end. I forget how to hide spoilers, but as you know at the beginning of book 1 it certainly seems like one of them is dead. It leaves you to wonder. People like reading books with HEA's. Then again HEA is subjective. She could always kill both of them off, and they're still together always in death.

Patti This is a pretty wonderful series, although I do have to say that the first book is the best. This is why I do not "google spoilers". Because you know some of the storyline, you do not want to finish it. Although, the separation happens in between books. In my opinion, by looking to see how things work out is cheating yourself out of a wonderful reading experience. I have read the first 6 books, and want to finish, except that Gabaldon keeps writing another.

Kitten As I have already said, I am one of the few people who enjoys reading spoilers beforehand. I do this with everything, including books and tv shows. And I understand that there are some people who don't like spoilers, and that's just fine, but I am not one of them. And I didn't stop reading after I googled spoilers, it was beforehand due to the tension I felt from reading the book.
I didn't want to turn this into a discussion about the ins and outs of spoilers or whether anyone agrees with them or not. I just wanted to know if it looked like there would be a HEA in the end. I understand that books like this are more realistic with all the pain and suffering that goes with them. However I have endured enough pain, suffering, and loss in my own life... it's the last thing I want to read in books, which is why I usually stick to HEA's.
Thanks for those who provided me with their insightful opinions and the author's promise of a HEA, I do appreciate it.

Kristen Absolutely finish it! It is worth every second devoted to reading it! The remainder of the series (so far) is amazing, and each one is better than the last. With MOBY coming out next year, maybe we will have our HEA!

Melissa call-me wrote: "Hey all,
So it's a bit silly, but I bought this book thinking it was sort of your typical romance with a HEA. Now I am about 50% through and had to stop reading and start googling spoilers.
I am t..."

YES! Finish the book and read the whole series. It's wonderful! Lots of good things, although the characters go through some really bad hardships....but that's part of life. This is my favorite book of all time!

Melissa Kristen wrote: "Absolutely finish it! It is worth every second devoted to reading it! The remainder of the series (so far) is amazing, and each one is better than the last. With MOBY coming out next year, maybe..."

I can't wait! They keep pushing the publication date off. I'm tempted to reread the whole series. I miss her rich writing. Not many people have her great storytelling gift.

Kristen Melissa wrote: "Kristen wrote: "Absolutely finish it! It is worth every second devoted to reading it! The remainder of the series (so far) is amazing, and each one is better than the last. With MOBY coming out ..."

I have already done one re-read, and will most likely do another before MOBY comes out. Can't get enough of JAMMF!

Angie finish it and the series - it will stay with you -- can't even tell you when I read the first one but have read them all and cannot wait for the next one!!! I am contemplating reading the series over again -- but there are so many books out there to read yet! I loved it -- some people say it is hard for them to get through but I thought it was an amazing read -- STARZ is coming out with a tv series of the story and I don't get starz so not sure how I am going to be able to see it!!!!

Melissa Angie-it will most likely be available through Amazon Prime or Netflix.

message 22: by Dee (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dee i'm getting starz just for the show...

Cindy This is my favorite series of everything I've read. I picked it up at my library thinking it was a historical romance. Imagine my surprise when I learned it was so much more than that! I am so intrigued that I purchased copies for my home library which is a rare thing for me to do. Yes, the story can be heart wrenching but real life is like that as well. Reading this series can teach you a lot about perseverance and overcoming obstacles. Absolutely stick with it and read every title. I was so excited to learn this week that the newest addition comes out in June 2014!

Linda I am an absolute SAP for Jamie and Claire!! I read Outlander when it was first published, have read every sequel and look forward to the next. I even spent the summer of '09, re-reading the first ones again, and as you know they are a major READ! I AM NOT a general fan of ANY romance stories, at all. BUT, "Outlander" has me hooked. Just be willing to live with the seemingly life-long committment to the Family. And the characters live real lives,(well,except for the time travel part), births, deaths, wars, love, hate and everything in between. I think I'm going to go buy the newest book!

Shelley I read the first book of the series shortly after it came out. I read it every break at work, all night on the weekend. I found out 3 of the ladies I worked with were also reading it… we all loved it and were shocked to find that we had to wait a year or so for the second volume. As soon as it hit the market We all started reading it. Ditto for the othervolumes though One ofthem wasn't as interesting as the rest. I bought the Outlander companion because it helps keep people straight…when you have to wait so long between books it's diffcult to remember the details of who , what and why everyone is. I love history and even though some of the necessary factual details bored me I learned and appreciated the experiences the characters experienced because My ancestors lived in many of the areas and times where the stories in the book happened. It helps me to understand their lives and what may have been the reasons for some of the decisions they made which ultimately affect my life now…3 and 4 Hundred years later! I wasn't able to keep all the books in paperback due to space restrictions in my home but I have since bought ALL of the series for my Kindle and plan on buying the next one as soon as it is available. I further plan to get STARZ just to watch the production…I hope they choose actors that fit the personalities,,,,,especially Jamie!

Maryla I just love this series. I have actually gone back and read the first two again years after the first time. And I NEVER read books more than once because there are just so many books to read.

I have trouble with suspense too and often just want to know that it is an HEA book. (Nothing wrong with that. We have enough of the other stuff in real life).

I sincerely think you should keep reading. And then let us know what you thought!

Patti call-me, this is a pretty heavy set of novels. If you want a light-hearted, happy read, best to pass these up.

Juliea Q Smith Ciara wrote: "Keep reading, although in my opinion the first two are the best two. It's not nearly so interesting after they leave Scotland. I don't normally read romances, but I loved this book (so did my Dad....."

I agree that the first two are the best. Once I got to the middle of Voyager I wish I had stopped reading. It really jumped the shark at that point, IMO.

Megan call-me wrote: "Hey all,
I am t..."

I did the same thing! Did you ever finish the book? I love a good epic romance and it doesn't have to be all roses and sunshine, but I at least want them to overcome all their obstacles and end up together. Outlander was seriously putting me on edge and it's a really long book and a really long series. I couldn't stand it so I looked up a bunch of spoilers (which I usually hate), but if I was going to put myself on an emotional rollercoaster I wanted to know it was worth it. Seems like it will be. I'm a little more at ease even though Claire and Jamie have to go through a lot together and apart, but I at least know they get together and really love each other. It's for sure not smooth sailing, from what I read, so hope you're ok with that! Lol I still haven't finished the 1st book. Guess it's the downfall of reading spoilers. I put it down a couple months ago and I think I'm ready to pick it back up. I at least want to finish it before the show starts bc I'm really excited to watch it. It definitely feels like a heavy read though so I may have to space out my reading a little. Add some lighter reads to the mix so I don't get burned out.

Steph (loves water) Yes, go for it. The first book was fabulous, the second was good, the third was a stretch and I passed on fourth, fifth, sixth....

Mrsbooks I loved the third book. It has so many of my favorite scenes. I read them all straight through like Gertt with a few other books in between each book for a break... except I got stuck on book 5. I found The Firey Cross rather boring and for a whole year I barely read any of it. I had to make myself finish it allowing myself to read a different book every 100 pages Lol. It wasn't bad by any means but it lacked the excitement the others had. Maybe I just needed a break to finish.

I love the series though its my all time favorite. I hope you enjoy and keep us posted where you are!

message 32: by Kathy (last edited Apr 29, 2014 06:22PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kathy Roberts Keep reading, don't ever stop! It is one of the best book series written. Unforgettable characters that you think of as old friends you'll want to visit again and again. Extraordinarily detailed. Historically accurate.

I disagree with those that gave up after the first few. Jamie and Claire on Fraser's Ridge is anything but boring. Book six, A Breath of Snow and Ashes blew me away.

Mrsbooks First, third and seventh are my favs :)

message 34: by M.K. (new) - rated it 5 stars

M.K. Harkins There will be a series starting on Starz Aug 9th - Read up!

message 35: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca James Kitten wrote: "Hey all,
I am t..."

Outlander is great, and so are many of the books after. I think about five books in it started getting dull. But definitely read four or five of them!