The Mystery, Crime, and Thriller Group discussion

Michael Stephenson
This topic is about Michael Stephenson
Report for Duty > Hello. New author here.

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Michael (new)

Michael Stephenson | 11 comments My name is Michael Stephenson. I am a Goodreads-listed author. I write and read in many different genres, including Christian/Religious fiction, but I have a special fondness for Horror. I really enjoy Stephen King and Dean Koontz but I also love the crime novels of Steven James. I also enjoy TV and film (having once wrote for film) and this has led me to lead a group of my own on here about books similar to popular TV shows. I really just love a good story.

message 2: by Donna, Co-Moderator (new)

Donna | 2178 comments Mod
Welcome Michael. Lots of fans of Stephen King and Dean Koontz here.

message 3: by Michael (new)

Michael Stephenson | 11 comments Thanks, Donna. I'll look around.

message 4: by Malina (new)

Malina | 2787 comments Welcome Michael, another King fan here!

message 5: by Michael (new)

Michael Stephenson | 11 comments Hey, Malina. Which King story do you enjoy the most. Also, which story-to-screen adaptation do you enjoy the most (I say "story" because it can be a short story or novella as well).

message 6: by Malina (new)

Malina | 2787 comments Well, my favorite book is The Stand, screen adaptation is Shawshank Redemption. I'm currently reading Carrie, which for some reason I never read.

message 7: by Michael (new)

Michael Stephenson | 11 comments That's cool. Frankly, since King is the most adapted novelist of all time (even moreso than Shakespeare from what I checked last) I think that he actually has quite a few good adaptations out there. I remember back in the 90s when we would have at least one film/miniseries adaptation of King's work a year. I loved The Stand, but I also liked Misery. But I can't forget either one of The Shining movies and if I include those, of course I have to include the 70s Carrie as well as the recent TV (not the one in the cinema last month) adaptations. Then there's The Mist and Secret Garden. But you know what, I think you are right in that sort of vein with Redemption. I think some of the best adaptations have been somewhat outside of King's main genre of horror. Stand by Me, The Shawshank Redemption and The Green Mile are those movies that make me watch them when they come on and want to read at least one chapter from the books.

As far as the books, I enjoyed Misery... or was it that I was miserable with Misery? Hmm?

message 8: by Scott (new)

Scott | 851 comments Welcome Michael. Green Mile gets me every time...I start watching no matter the scene, if it's on.

message 9: by Michael (new)

Michael Stephenson | 11 comments Right? And then when Michael Clarke Duncan died last year, AMC played that movie for a full week. He and Tom Hanks were great in that. So were the guy whose name I always forget and the old guy who married the teenager.

message 10: by Scott (new)

Scott | 851 comments I also have an acting crush on Patricia Clarkson ( wife he cures). I love her movies.

message 11: by Michael (new)

Michael Stephenson | 11 comments Now, I already knew that she was in another movie that I enjoyed, Shutter Island with Leonardo Dicaprio and I liked her in that also. But I just looked her up and you know she has another connection with King because she played, of all characters, Carrie's mother in the often forgotten about TV movie remake of Carrie a few years back. Funny (but not really)!

message 12: by Anthony (new)

Anthony Venutolo (anthony_venutolo) | 3 comments Welcome! I'm a newly-listed author as well... Looks like a wonderful community...

message 13: by Malina (new)

Malina | 2787 comments Welcome Anthony :)

message 14: by Scott (new)

Scott | 851 comments Aaaannnthooonyyyy (shouting from fire escape) Welcome. (Sorry, my nod to Prince Spaghetti Day commercial...I may be showing my age).

message 15: by Malina (new)

Malina | 2787 comments Scott, you always make me smile! :D

message 16: by Bill, Co-Moderator (new)

Bill | 5420 comments Mod
Welcome to the group, Michael, nice to see you're already getting into the discussions.

message 17: by William (new)

William Davis | 132 comments Welcome Michael. This a good place to make connections with like minded authors and readers. To those Stephen King and Dean Koontz fans, you might want to check out my first Mike Gage Thriller, Pagan Moon. I liken it to James Patterson meeting Stephen King. Again, welcome.

message 18: by Darcy (new)

Darcy Daniel Welcome, Michael. I'm a huge Koontz & King fan too. Best of luck with your novels.

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

Hi, my name is Jennifer Girardin, and I'm also a Goodreads author of a British mystery series. I've been reading mysteries for as long as I can remember, and enjoy classic and modern mysteries, including Agatha Christie, Doyle, Sayers, Marsh, Dunn, and Brightwell.

message 20: by Donna, Co-Moderator (new)

Donna | 2178 comments Mod
Welcome Jennifer.