2022 Reading Challenge discussion

ARCHIVE 2014 > Ellyn's Corner Window

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ellyn (new)

Ellyn B Here we go!

message 2: by Ellyn (new)

Ellyn B Well I've started with The Little Princess. I loved the movie when I was younger so it's really great reading the book and pulling some of the images from that and combining them with the scenes described in the novel

message 3: by Alison (new)

Alison G. (agriff22) | 1083 comments good luck! have fun with summer and reading!

message 4: by Ellyn (new)

Ellyn B Finished 'The Little Princess' today and started on 'This Spoke Zarathustra'. Could I have chosen two books more different??

message 5: by Ellyn (new)

Ellyn B Just now finished 'Of Mice and Men'. In a strange, wonderful way I loved it.

Now for something lighter and fluffier - 'The Secret History of the Pink Carnation'. After that it's time to face the philosophy texts! (Queue the scary music)

message 6: by Ellyn (new)

Ellyn B Oh sweet zombie Jesus... I may be forced to abandon some of my planned holiday reads in order to make a dent in the pile of books I got for Christmas!

Looks like my new goal will have to be "read as many as I can but it's ok if I don't complete the challenge as currently set out because I'm also reading some other wonderful books"

message 7: by Erin (new)

Erin Shadle (erinshadle) Ellyn wrote: "Just now finished 'Of Mice and Men'. In a strange, wonderful way I loved it.

Now for something lighter and fluffier - 'The Secret History of the Pink Carnation'. After that it's time to face the ..."

Hi Ellyn,

How did you feel about The Secret History of the Pink Carnation? I read that years ago and certainly have a few thoughts on it, but it would be great to hear yours, too!

message 8: by Ellyn (new)

Ellyn B I haven't gotten very far into it yet but it seems alright. I thought it took a little too long to get into the story but I think it'll pick up. Did you enjoy it?

message 9: by Erin (new)

Erin Shadle (erinshadle) Ellyn wrote: "I haven't gotten very far into it yet but it seems alright. I thought it took a little too long to get into the story but I think it'll pick up. Did you enjoy it?"

Honestly, I don't remember many specifics about it anymore. At the time, I didn't think it was great, but it sufficed for getting lost in a story for a while. Sometimes, that's all a book has to offer, and sometimes, that's perfectly fine. I tend to prefer something…more, but I don't mind if that's not the case. That's pretty much how I felt about it when I read it. Now, a few years later, the fact that the details haven't stuck with me makes me feel like my initial take on it was pretty accurate.

message 10: by Ellyn (new)

Ellyn B It certainly sounds like an accurate representation of a book. Like you I tend to like books that have that something extra rather than ones which my mother terms "fluffy reading". Maybe that's why I don't feel any pull to go back to Pink Carnation. I keep it around for reading in doctor's offices and the like but I'm not really dedicated to it like I am with the other books I'm reading

message 11: by Ellyn (new)

Ellyn B Ok people, new plan.

I've had to abandon some of my original 'to read' books for this challenge in favour of some of the awesome ones I got for Christmas but I am still reading so wooo!

I just finished 'Masters of Sex' (the biography the TV series is based on) and it was a really good read for someone like me who doesn't usually read biographies but is interested in the story. As someone whose interest is in the intricacies of human intimacy I loved reading an account of how a study on sex was impacted by the intimate relationships of 2 people, as well as the impact that their work had on popular opinions on sex and love.

Now it's time for me to return to '100 years of solitude' for a little while before attacking a new book :)