2013 Worlds Without End Women of Genre Fiction Reading Challenge discussion

General Discussion > Goodreads Choice nominees

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Emma Deplores Goodreads Censorship (emmadeploresgoodreadscensorship) | 67 comments Mod
Interestingly, this is the first year the majority of the 10 Goodreads Choice finalists for fantasy have been written by women. The Golem and the Jinni has gotten a lot of buzz, including some discussion in this group, and Robin Hobb's books are staples of the genre, but I'm unfamiliar with the other four:

The Firebird by Susanna Kearsley
The Ghost Bride by Yangsze Choo
The River of No Return by Bee Ridgeway
Forged in Blood by Lindsay Buroker (this last is apparently the sixth in a series)

Have any of you read any of these books? What did you think? Sadly, the only fantasy nominee I'd read was A Natural History of Dragons, which didn't make the final round.

[redacted by S.H.I.E.L.D.] (noyoucant) | 83 comments Never even heard of the first three.

Goodreads awards this year are....suspect.

Emma Deplores Goodreads Censorship (emmadeploresgoodreadscensorship) | 67 comments Mod
Do tell.

I looked into Kearsley's books a bit more since I recognized the name, but vaguely thought of her as a historical fiction author. Turns out, yep--"historical fiction" is the top shelf for The Firebird, while "fantasy" is down at #3. The Ghost Bride is also shelved first as historical fiction. Odd, since I thought books were nominated by the way Goodreads members shelved them. (And yet, Life After Life, also historical fiction with some strong speculative elements, is nominated in historical fiction?)

[redacted by S.H.I.E.L.D.] (noyoucant) | 83 comments Yeah the whole awards this year makes no sense. It's like they threw darts at a chart. I also find the 1 million people have voted thing to be, uh, well, bullshit. Goodreads has a million members? I must have missed that.

message 5: by Emma Deplores Goodreads Censorship (last edited Nov 18, 2013 08:42PM) (new)

Goodreads claims to have 20 million members. I'd believe there are 20 million accounts created, but the vast majority of those people are inactive, or only use it to catalog books for their own reference. (Not to mention sockpuppets....)

Anyway every category you vote in counts as a new "vote," and each round does as well. I believe I've cast about 12 votes this year.

[redacted by S.H.I.E.L.D.] (noyoucant) | 83 comments Hah. I wonder how many of those 20 million are Robert Stanek.

message 7: by Benjamin (new)

Benjamin (beniowa79) | 34 comments Careful. St*nek is like Beetlejuice. Say his name too many times and he appears.

And yeah, the contest is odd this year. Like Grack, I've never heard of the first three and Buroker seems to have become a big e-book author.

[redacted by S.H.I.E.L.D.] (noyoucant) | 83 comments Also, when you think about it, lets say they do have 20 million subscribers/users/whatever. Only 1 million votes? Thats barely 5 percent.

This has been Grack's random thoughts. Tune in next week as I complain about something.

I'm not surprised some of these books are outside the fantasy mainstream; there are only a few categories so they have to be broadly defined, and that's happened before. But listing stuff as fantasy that users define primarily as HF makes no sense.

As far as the numbers, that's presumably counting every account that's been created here since 2007. The vast majority will be either inactive, or minimally active and unaware of what's happening on the site. And outside of bloggers and people who get ARCs, I don't think most readers spend a lot of time reading new releases. They're more expensive, you can't find them used, and you wind up reading more duds than if you stick to stuff that's already been thoroughly vetted by others. I hardly ever read anything brand new before I started reviewing. So I suspect for most people the awards aren't terribly relevant, except maybe to browse for stuff that looks interesting.