The Fault in Our Stars The Fault in Our Stars question

Why Does This Book Ruin Teen Lives?
Kindred Nguyen Kindred Nov 18, 2013 06:13PM
Many people have commented on this book claiming it to be a life ruiner? Positive or negative? Is this book just a trend and then it'll disappear soon enough?Who's gonna play Augustus in the movie coming up?

To be honest, I really didn't like The Fault in Our Stars. It was just...blah. If you have read/seen My Sister's Keeper, then you have read The Fault in Our Stars. It's exactly the same story.

That being said, I cried like crazy and definitely sympathized with the characters. However, Hazel was so realistic of a character that she was depressing, and Augustus was so UNrealistic of a character that I found myself so confused and it made the entire plot unrealistic.

Also, I don't find anything wrong with language or sex scenes in YA. As a teenager, that's when people are discovering this stuff. It makes it more realistic and accessible to teens these days.

I commute daily 45 minutes to college, and then 45 minutes back, which is, I might say, completely and totally boring. So I've gotten in the habit of getting books on tape. I looked into this book a little and thought, "Oh my word, not another one of those little sappy teenage romances where one of them dies at end. It's probably just written to make people cry. And all of these obnoxious people are like fangirling over it and whatever."

Let me get something straight. I LIKE books, but I DON'T fangirl.

However, I was at a loss for a book to listen to on tape, so I thought I'd at least give it a chance

I cried. For pretty much the last 2 CDs I cried through straight. And not like, "I'm-a-little-choked-up" kind of crying, either. And I'm telling you, there really isn't anything as humbling as being in rush hour traffic, merging while tears are literally dripping off my chin and my breath is coming in short gasps. Better than that, not only did I cry, but that entire day, while at school, instead of taking notes, I was just musing about the book, the ideas it presented, and writing the title in different letters in my notebook. During my break I spent an hour on my computer ranting to my online journal about Augustus's death.

So, yeah, I'd say this isn't a trend. I hate "sob story" books, which are those poorly researched stories about (I'm not trying to be insensitive here, so bear with me)adopted children, or abused people, or what what what. This, however, was NOT a poorly researched sob story.

Somehow, and I really can't say how, but this books seemed to grab all of the big important questions that teenagers face and not really answer them, but puzzle through them.

More than that, this book really stayed with me, not in the characters so much as the ideas presented. The very book and everything in it posed all sorts of questions for me to mull over in my spare time. I did NOT agree with all of the views and or lifestyles presented in the book, but it was brilliantly crafted in it's memorable characters, real and true thoughts, and emotional pull.

I didn't however, give this book 5 stars mainly because of the crapload of language and the unnecessary sex scene (I don't approve of sex scenes in YA books...)

So yeah, it's a life ruiner, in a negative way, but in a way that leaves, maybe something positive too.

Aaand, according to IMBd, Augustus is going to played by Ansel Elgort.

Also, any book that gets it's title from Shakespeare is fine by me.

Let us first start off by saying that the beloved author, John Green, is an American hero. But Fault in Our Stars was a fistful of cyan sewage.

We're going to drop some phat character anals. on you homeslices:

Hazel: Entitled. Skank. Pretentious. Annoying AF. Ungrateful. SOB. Get over yourself. Cynical. Human waste. Fuck. Hazel Lancaster is by far Green's worst character. Her false sense of entitlement exterminates any possibility of her being even close to likable. Throw relatability out of the question with her cynical, thinks-she's-so-clever attitude. She treats everyone in her life like the garbage SHE is. Examples include her parents, her support group members, "friends", etc...) she thinks that her terminal disease gives her an excuse to be a trash human being to those around her. She always maintains a negative outlook on life EXCEPT when she is begging her loving parents to let her and her boy toy go to Europe together (which was a waste of time because the glorified author she was chasing ended up being a douche bag to her). Anyway, after she sexes Gus's body, she thinks she has the audacity to try and pull off an after-sex note, which in Hazel's version featured a poorly thought-out and incredibly unclever venn diagram that both made us roll our eyes to the point of no return, and throw up everything in our stomachs out of the stupidity and arrogance of her newly deflowered body. To conclude, Hazel does not relate to any real teenage girl. But instead embodies an arrogant, self-centered piece of fuck.

Augustus: With his repulsive, excessive charisma and over developed hipster Prince Charming "personality", Augustus Waters strives to be the sensitive, mysterious night owl of the night. But only achieves the common pigeon that repeatedly flies into windows. Such as when he attempts to retrieve a pack of cigarettes, to NOT smoke, he winds up in quite a pickle, just like a common pigeon into a window. His originality borders on predictable overused archetypes that Green should have known better than to use. Throughout the story, Augustus aims to become a more prominent SOB than he already is. Seeking the attention of literally everyone, he cries over the fact that he will never be some kind of glorified idol that can titillate the loins of all who follow in his pseudo-philosophical teachings.