Allegiant (Divergent, #3) Allegiant discussion

*SPOLIERS* The ending...

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kary (last edited Nov 18, 2013 03:45PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Kary Ok so I finally finish Allegiant and I have to say that I am not liking this ending. I don't understancd why Tris had to die like omg. So was this whole trilogy based on Tobias now like wHAT. And what happened to the factions?????? Like did the "allegiant" or the factionless or whatever just forget about that world and started a new life like what why didn't they spread the news of the memory serum to the other people who's mind were still infested by the Erudite or whatever. AND THE WAY TRIS DIED?????????? What. She died for a big cause but idk I didn't like the way Veronica Roth explained how she died by just saying her mother hugged her or something. idk. just my opinion. but overall good trilogy, i just wished for a bigger ending I guess

message 2: by Savannah (last edited Nov 18, 2013 09:38PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Savannah I honestly don't know how to feel about the ending.... Veronica Roth is an excellent writer and I love to read her work.... but that doesn't mean I loved the plot of the last book (while i did the first two). I am SO mad that Tris died, and I felt like if tris died then it should have been like she and Tobias dying together b/c I DONT WANT TOBIAS TO HURT WITHOUT HER! But I guess thats life... right? I mean nothing ends cheery cheery happy happy.... thats how I felt with the Hunger Games end (aka i was glad it wasn't a perfect "everyone loves each other" ending). But that one was satisfying.

THIS ONE THOUGH! LIKE WHY TRIS WHYYYYYY.... I think the problem for me was that the cause she died for didn't seem all that vital/life changing to me. Ok, I guess I didn't want the faction city (chicago) to be reset.... but I wasn't going to be bawling if that happened. I wish i just had more of an end with tris and what she would have said dying and stuff or like a "heaven" scene from tris or something (ok that would probably be dumb) but I just WANTED MORE. More closure I guess. Ok... I'm done. I just finished the book and had no one else to talk about it with and I don't know how I'm feeling currently. I didn't hate it... BUT TRIS AND TOBIAS NEEDED TO BE TOGETHER. OK. I'm done for real.

PS I thought the book pretty much ended when Tris died. The rest was just me being depressed about it and I had to force myself to read the rest. Also, I thought the epilogue was really lame. Like really.

PPS Also tris was such a badass in the other books and we only got that like once in this book when she was in the fringe and saved George.... not even a big deal. I guess this one was more about her being selfless, rather than just shooting everyone and what not?

Stephanie Garcia i don't like the whole book so disappointed :(

Veronica there will never be another tris. i love happy endings and this book was a disappointment. nevertheless i love the trilogy.

message 5: by Asha (new)

Asha H. I have very mixed emotions about this book... I don't know what to say.

Savannah I will say one thing about this series... Divergent and Insurgent were AMAZING like drew me in maybe.... MAYBE more than the hunger games. But the one thing I haven't found any author do like Suzzane Collins is have such good character building. She was the best a making you really feel drawn to character like they were your friends. Sure, I love tobias and tris, but not the same way i felt when even finnick died in the hunger games (which i guess you could compare to Uriah?)

Kary Savannah wrote: "I will say one thing about this series... Divergent and Insurgent were AMAZING like drew me in maybe.... MAYBE more than the hunger games. But the one thing I haven't found any author do like Suzza..."

My god I hated how Uriah died like idk I love his character and I thought that him and Christina can like move on together you know. Like gradually at first, and then boom they're together. I would've liked that a lot

message 8: by Rachel (last edited Nov 23, 2013 12:41PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rachel Bernard I just finished Allegiant. I am a sobbing mess. And I need to vent.

I understand, Tris died for a good cause. She stopped another round of people being controlled like puppets, more people losing their lives...but you can't kill her. YOU CAN'T KILL HER. We are talking about Tris, here! strong, brave, beautiful, Beatrice. She sacrificed so much for everyone throughout the whole series. Caleb, Tobias, Christina, everyone who was involved in the wars both inside and outside of Chicago. She put others before herself countless times, to protect people, to stop the senseless fighting!

She deserves to live!! She deserves it more than Peter, who's forgotten everything, more than Caleb and Evelynn and Cara and Christina and Johanna. It's not that I don't love some of those people, or think that they are in any way worthy of dying, but Tris contributed to the better of the community so much!

And Tobias. I can't even begin to think about him being left behind. The books are made so we love him as much as we love Tris, sometimes more, and here she dies, and we experience that through him. The unfathomable pain he goes through!! Tris's death is killing me! Why did she have to die? It's literally putting me in a wave of depression. Clearly the writing was powerful, but that was the most upsetting conclusion to anything I've heard of before. :'(

To Tris, rest in peace. From all your faithful fans <3

Rachel Bernard ~Nobody~♫And The Walls Kept Tumbling Down♫~ wrote: "I for one, loved this book. The writing was of course, amazing. Every line drew me more into the book. I loved all of the quotes!:

“I suppose a fire that burns that bright is not meant to last.
“T..."

I hate you slightly for posting all of those quotes and making me cry all over again. :/ especially the ones about the fire, and her eyes. WHY DID SHE HAVE TO DIE

Savannah Rachel wrote: "I just finished Allegiant. I am a sobbing mess. And I need to vent.

I understand, Tris died for a good cause. She stopped another round of people being controlled like puppets, more people losing ..."

Ok. I knew that something bad was going to happen, because a while ago Veronica Roth was being interviewed and she got asked about the hunger games. And she said that she didn't like the end because she thought katniss deserved a "hero's death"... like WHY VERONICA WHY.

I think the way she finished the book is very like... realistic. Sure, we love Tris and don't want her to die, but she does. And Tobias is left alone and heartbroken and has no one to go to and thats realistic. And I wish we could have a more worthwhile death for Uriah.... but things like that can happen.

The thing that bothers me with tris's death is i don't think I liked why she died... throughout the series she was always doing "selfless acts" to save people.... and then she goes and DIES to reset peoples memory? Like come on. Its like she is just as bad as the people who wanted to do the memory reset on Chicago. THATS SO DUMB. Her death is what makes her "not honorable" or something. She essentially died to erase peoples memory (Which i mean... is kind of like killing someone. It takes everything away from them).

message 11: by Lauren (last edited Nov 24, 2013 03:42PM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Lauren "because a while ago Veronica Roth was being interviewed and she got asked about the hunger games. And she said that she didn't like the end because she thought katniss deserved a "hero's death"... "

She said the same thing about Harry Potter. What's with her, anyway?

I actually do agree with the idea of Katniss dying; it could have worked in *that* story, it would have fit that story's tone and narrative. Harry Potter, not so much. JK Rowling would have had to go into hiding if she'd done that.

"throughout the series she was always doing "selfless acts" to save people.... and then she goes and DIES to reset peoples memory? Like come on. Its like she is just as bad as the people who wanted to do the memory reset on Chicago. THATS SO DUMB. Her death is what makes her "not honorable" or something. "

Exactly. I made the same point in my long, rambling essay. If the point of her death was supposed to be about selflessness, then why does she die committing an ultimately selfish act?

message 12: by Erin (new) - rated it 5 stars

Erin O'Riordan Did it cross anyone else's mind that some day - years after the book ends - it might be nice if Christina and Tobias become more than just friends? I don't want them to be sad and lonely forever. I'd feel better if they were together - you know, after an appropriate length of time.

Rachel Bernard Savannah wrote: "Rachel wrote: "I just finished Allegiant. I am a sobbing mess. And I need to vent.

I understand, Tris died for a good cause. She stopped another round of people being controlled like puppets, more..."

I agree with what you said. After I've had a day to think about it *still sniffles a little* I think it does make the book realistic, although Tris' act really was to punish the people who've hurt her. I think it would've been nice if Veronica wrote that she held on to the gun though, she'd shoot David, push the button, get out of there and live happily ever after. It would've been nice, but I understand.

Even with the upsetting ending, the book was amazing. Veronica was successful in getting the readers emotionally connected, so I'm definitely not a hater. I'm just a sucker for a good love story. :/

message 14: by Lauren (last edited Nov 24, 2013 06:37PM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Lauren If Tris needed to die a sacrificial death -- which I honestly have no problem with -- it would have been nice if every plot point that led to her demise wasn't so blatantly contrived. I understand the point of her death from a character perspective and a thematic standpoint, but it was not written in a way that made it necessary or believable from a story perspective because the plot was so clearly manipulated just to create the sacrifice situation. It was inauthentic.

We all would have preferred if Tris didn't die, of course, but I would be perfectly fine with her death if I thought it was truly necessary to the story. Could I say to myself, how could the plot still work if Tris didn't die? The problem is, there are too many answers to that question, too many ways that the plot could have worked just the same with her alive. It wasn't actually necessary to the plot that was created. Tris survived to do the thing the plot was actually about; Veronica put David there to kill her just because. If she wants me to believe that a character's death is warranted, she's gonna have to write a better situation than "just because."

Haley it wouldn't have been as bad to me if the whole third book was written only in Tris's perspective. And when she died and her mom hugged her, well that would just be the end of the book. That would have almost been a happy ending to me.

message 16: by Mary (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mary The last fifty pages of this book were incredibly intense. Not only did they keep me on the edge of my chair they had me a sobbing mess. Do I hate it that Tris dies and Caleb it all okay? Yes. But with that said if she had not we all would have been majorly upset about something else.

I was not expecting the death of our protagonist at all. So far me it was a huge shocker and it took me a little bit to realize that she really was gone. Did anyone else not realize she was dead at first? Anyway I praise Veronica Roth for doing what she did because not many authors can kill off their protagonist. Beautiful story, I will miss Tris and all that she did for everyone.
Tobias and everyone else will be missed too.

message 17: by Kary (new) - rated it 3 stars

Kary Savannah wrote: "Rachel wrote: "I just finished Allegiant. I am a sobbing mess. And I need to vent.

I understand, Tris died for a good cause. She stopped another round of people being controlled like puppets, more..."

DUDE SERIOUSLY I HATE THE WAY SHE DIED LIKE WTF

esthermarie I was a complete mess after the ending, but I get why it had to be that way. Tris had to sacrifice herself, because she is at her core a brave, selfless person. Also, just because Tris deserved a happy, long life, doesn't mean she gets it. I think that that was a point Veronica Roth was trying to make, sometimes people just die, even the 'important' ones.
I'm just super said for Tobias…*sigh*

message 19: by Mary (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mary When a series ends I usually have some idea as to what I want to happen with the characters that are left. With that said, after being done with the book for more than one week, I still no idea where are what Tobias is doing. I really dislike the idea of him being a politician he is someone who is always moving not sitting and doing debates.

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

Mary wrote, When a series ends I usually have some idea as to what I want to happen with the characters that are left. With that said, after being done with the book for more than one week, I still no idea where are what Tobias is doing. I really dislike the idea of him being a politician he is someone who is always moving not sitting and doing debates...

I agree with you...he is not the type of person to just sit around. To me he will always be the person that Tris knew, not a politician.