New Providence Memorial Library's Online Reading Group discussion

November Group Read > Meeting Reminder

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by New Providence (new)

New Providence (npml) | 302 comments Mod
I just wanted to remind you all that this Thursday, 11/21 @ 10AM the Thursday AM Book Group will be meeting in the Conti Room to discuss Letters from America and you are all invited to come out.

So far, I've heard mixed reviews and some have found the book slow going. I'd encourage you to come anyway even if you have only got through a couple of chapters. It promises to be an interesting discussion. And there will be light refreshments.

message 2: by Rosanne (new)

Rosanne | 67 comments Wish I could come but I'll be working at that time. And I'm glad I'm reading the book, even though it does help me fall asleep quite readily at night!

message 3: by New Providence (new)

Rosanne wrote: "Wish I could come but I'll be working at that time. And I'm glad I'm reading the book, even though it does help me fall asleep quite readily at night!"

So sorry you won't be able to make it. I am enjoying your comments and will be quoting them! I've found that it is good for relaxation as well. Especially since it's hard to concentrate on this one w/o quiet.

message 4: by New Providence (new)

Well, last week was quite busy and I'm just getting around to posting the results of our book discussion on Thursday.

In general, the group was glad they read some or all of it although we all agreed that it was not easy going. This book requires concentration! I cannot be skimmed.

We had many observations on DeT & B's observations, particularly those on religion, music & education. As a matter of fact, that prompted an extended detour into our educational system and we found out that there are a few ex-teachers and one current teacher in the group. As they discussed their experiences, I had to pay grudging respect to the boys in that their observations prompted our discussion of a vital topic all these years later. And of course, what would they both have made of a bunch of women sitting around discussing these things?

Anyway, we talked about their differing voices and a couple expressed disbelief that deT is now thought of as an astute observer. Although we, again, had to grudgingly admit that much of what he had to say still applies, particularly in the areas of commerce and even observations about politics.