mythos discussion

What is your favorite culture?

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Al (new)

Al | 17 comments Mod
Whose myths do you absolutely love to learn more about? Which culture has your favorite folktales?

For me, it is the ancient Egyptians. I can never learn enough about their mythology.

message 2: by Christine (new)

Christine (d286380) | 4 comments I have to say that the Greek myths are probably my favourite, I'm studying ancient history so I guess it's also what i mostly read...I'd like to get into some of tge Egyptian mythology though, can you recommend any good books Alex?

message 3: by Al (last edited Jul 01, 2009 07:44PM) (new)

Al | 17 comments Mod
Sure. A good book to start with is Egypt: Gods, Myths, and Religion. It'll give you a good overview of some of the more important, and therefore more well-known, myths as well as get you familiar with some important names and symbols you will need to know to get more in-depth into other myths of ancient Egypt. When I started studying Egyptian mythology I was seven, so a lot of the my basics came from children's books or books that at least could be understood by someone that age. I think however if you read this one you should be fine with some of the other books I might recommend. Let me know what you think of this one, and I'll get you some more titles (I have to try and remember them all!)

message 4: by Andrew (new)

Andrew (dariusgreyhound) | 13 comments Mod
The Norse ROCK THE HOUSE
greek is cool to

all hail the Allfather!!!!

message 5: by Al (new)

Al | 17 comments Mod
Andrew wrote: "The Norse ROCK THE HOUSE
greek is cool to

all hail the Allfather!!!!"

You can't read the Norse and not love them!

message 6: by Al (last edited Aug 03, 2009 03:07PM) (new)

Al | 17 comments Mod
Christine, Christian Jacq is a great writer and Egyptologist. He writes both non-fiction and historical fiction. You'll find some great reads on ancient Egyptian culture and, if I'm not mistaken, myths if you follow his works.

Also, the ancient Egyptian Book of the Dead (the acutal one, not the explanations of it or the modern adaptations and fictional books by the same name) has a lot about the religious practices of the ancient Egyptians. You'll need some background knowledge for that one though. It was a work of the priests that was included in the tombs of many of their important dead, so it assumes that you are familiar with the religion. I would think you should be able to find some editions that explain the in-depth beliefs though.

message 7: by Andrew (new)

Alex, you probaly know much more about egyption myths than i do, Is there any info about Set asides from the whole horus/revenge deal?

message 8: by Al (new)

Al | 17 comments Mod
Absolutely... Set is also known as Seth and, as some claim, Seti (although personally I think this was just a name people took that was derived from the god's name; I don't know of any actual documents that refer to the god as Seti). He's the god of infertility and chaos, commonly associated with desert storms. He was represented as a strange, possibly extinct, sort of dog-like animal with a forked tail or a man with this unknown animal's head.

As far as myths go, if you know about Horus's revenge then I assume you know the story of his murderous power struggle with his brother Osris. There is also the story of his birth (which occured violently on a day outside of the year those causing this dangerous day to be dubbed one of the five "days of the demons") from Nut, the sky goddess, and the Book of the Dead describes him in one instance defending Ra/Re from Apophis the serpent demon.

At certain periods in history the mother goddess of Anat was held as Set's consort by various ancient Egyptian cults, some scholars believe this was a tribute to the belief that chaos is not necessarily evil and can exist among the benevolent. Another of his consorts was the war and funeral goddess Neith who bore him a son, the crocodile god Sobek. His sister Nephthys was yet another of his lovers.

There are many stories of his various exploits. Although, now that I think of it I don't know of any myths that only involve Set; he is usually discussed according to his relations with other gods and goddesses. The most common, obviously have to do with Osris and Horus. The others are mainly associeted with either his son or his current consort of the time period.

message 9: by Andrew (new)

thx, alex do you study the stuff?

message 10: by Andrew (new)

scrach that, of course you do

whats the major?

message 11: by Andrew (new)

Ancient mytholgies?

message 12: by Andrew (new)

sorry, i ramble

message 13: by Al (last edited Aug 22, 2009 05:31PM) (new)

Al | 17 comments Mod
Actually Andrew I don't study it. This stuff is really just kind of a hobby of mine. I know a lot about ancient Egyptian mythology because I've been "studying" it on my own since I was a kid.

Are there majors that are specifically for ancient mythologies? It would be so amazing to be able to take classes on this stuff, but my current college schedule is too busy. I'm a double major in English and Deaf Education. Perhaps after when I have time and funds...

message 14: by Christine (new)

Christine (d286380) | 4 comments Hey Alex, thanks for the tip about Christian Jacq, I got his first five books in his seires about Ramses 11 off ebay! Looking forward to reading them! I think it would be great if you did a post graduate/masters in ancient mythology. I don't know about the states but Australia do heaps of masters and post graduates in ancient mythology/history! I think you'd love it!

message 15: by Al (new)

Al | 17 comments Mod
Really? That's awesome! I will have to look into that.

message 16: by Al (new)

Al | 17 comments Mod
Christine wrote: "Hey Alex, thanks for the tip about Christian Jacq, I got his first five books in his seires about Ramses 11 off ebay! Looking forward to reading them!"

His Ramses books are great. I've read the first five too. I've read through the fourth book I think. I can't remember if I've read the fifth yet, but I'm sure you'll enjoy them. I know I am.