Horror Aficionados discussion

Buddy Reads > You Shall Never Know Security (spoilers)

Comments Showing 1-42 of 42 (42 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Addy (new)

Addy | 4989 comments So far its Addy and Ctgt

So I was thinking about reading a story a day. What do u think?

message 2: by Ctgt (new)

Ctgt | 761 comments Sounds good.

message 3: by Addy (new)

Addy | 4989 comments Cool. So tomorrow good for u? We can read the first story and discuss. It looks pretty good. I loved the quote from Edward Bellamy.

message 4: by Ctgt (new)

Ctgt | 761 comments I cheated and read the first two already but I'll wait until tomorrow to discuss.

message 5: by Addy (new)

Addy | 4989 comments Cool. I had read the first one too:) I'll read the second one today and we can discuss tonight. Can't wait!

message 6: by Addy (new)

Addy | 4989 comments Ok. Finished Wonder. The first story was quite good. I dint know what kind of creature he was but the whole thing about him crawling on the ceiling was freaky. The ending left me puzzled a bit. I didn't understand what her motive was to be with another guy, only to get Keith jealous. What was your take? Wonder was kinda like karma. Bad things happening because of your unkindness to another human being. Reminded me of a book I read, Love Lies Dying. What did u think?

message 7: by Ctgt (new)

Ctgt | 761 comments You took the words right out of my mouth with the first story. I really liked her waking up to see him crawling around on the ceiling. I kept trying to picture my wife doing the same thing! I was also confused with the ending, I'm still unsure what the whole thing with him tearing apart the car and what her motives were. I kept going back and forth between the pages(I am reading the Kindle version) trying to figure out if I missed something. So i liked parts of the first story but still a little confused.

message 8: by Ctgt (new)

Ctgt | 761 comments I liked Wonder much more than the first story. The part about him becoming a father then changing the diaper and something pushing back....loved it! So what creature was his wife supposed to become? He mentions a spider or crab or lobster but they are all wrong, some sort of mutated crustacean? Is the narrator a witch? All this from a relatively small confrontation, seems like the type of person you don't want to piss off in the slightest.

message 9: by Addy (new)

Addy | 4989 comments I thought the baby thing and how he got rid of the baby was disturbing. The wife seemed to turn into some indescribable creature. As for the narrator, he mentioned being called a "faggot." So is he gay? I think he's a witch as well it at least placed a curse on the guy. Is the narrator male or female?

message 10: by Ctgt (new)

Ctgt | 761 comments Until the end, I assumed the narrator was female but after reading the very end now I'm not sure. You may be right about being gay, maybe he made a pass at the guy? I just threw "witch" out there because I didn't know what else to call it, definitely some type of curse so what else could he/she be? Voodoo priest? Warlock? I don't know.

message 11: by Addy (new)

Addy | 4989 comments Yeah. I think I'll have to reread it. I didn't really think about the narrator til I wrote it down...lol.

I'm gonna start the third one as soon as my crazy kids go to bed:)

message 12: by Ctgt (last edited Nov 20, 2013 04:19PM) (new)

Ctgt | 761 comments Endemic turned out great but I was pretty uncomfortable with the build up to the rape scene and was very unsure of how the changes in POV were going to come together. Wow, did they ever come together! Loved the concept behind setting these guys up.

And then the very last line...twenty thousand downloads? Brutal.

message 13: by Addy (new)

Addy | 4989 comments Yes. I had a hard time figuring out what the heck was going on, but then I was like, "Yes!" Couldn't help but think of the movie Teeth. If u haven't watched it, you need to! The only thing I didn't understand was the research and how these girls were contributing. Were they being altered? Maybe u can shed some light.

message 14: by Ctgt (last edited Nov 20, 2013 06:43PM) (new)

Ctgt | 761 comments That stumped me also. I couldn't tell if they had been altered genetically or if they were just robots/androids. I'm kind of leaning toward some type of synthetic.

"The next day, after they repaired the damages, Dr Mooney brought her back to life."

I'm thinking they took characteristics from many different types of women and combined them into the perfect bait.

message 15: by Addy (new)

Addy | 4989 comments Yeah, that makes sense. That's what I would guess as well. Great story!

message 16: by Addy (last edited Nov 21, 2013 12:03PM) (new)

Addy | 4989 comments I just read the parasite one and as squeamish I was about the spider, I still want what that spider gave to her. She was living blissfully unaware of everyday responsibilities and troubles. Of course living in a money hungry society, the doctor wanted it removed; her parents too eager for a quick fix. Too bad though. The spider was doing her good for a change.

message 17: by Ctgt (new)

Ctgt | 761 comments I really enjoyed the very beginning with the description of the spider itself and how it worked it's way into her ear. Then it kind of lost me, the overall idea was good, I can see the headline now PARASITES-Good or Bad?! but it didn't have the same impact on me as Endemic.

message 18: by Addy (new)

Addy | 4989 comments Just read the Britisher. Hmm. Interesting. Leaves alot to the imagination. Could u imagine being a novelty? I guess that's how it would feel...lol. Though what happened to his country is a little obscure. I'm picturing virus...some kind of humanoid monkey.

message 19: by Ctgt (new)

Ctgt | 761 comments There certainly was plenty left unsaid. Virus is a pretty good guess. I like these stories that leave something to your imagination but I think I would have preferred just a bit more information. Although it will keep us wondering and discussing won't it? I guess that's a good thing.

message 20: by Ctgt (new)

Ctgt | 761 comments I really liked the format of Truth is Stranger Than Fiction. I don't think I've read a story that uses an appeal to a court decision to tell the story. That in itself added to my enjoyment of the story. Again we have been given some information with tons of details left to our imaginations. Did she do it? Or was it whatever came through the hole? Did this creature posses her or actually slice and dice the guy? So many questions.

message 21: by Addy (new)

Addy | 4989 comments Ok. I'm not reading what u wrote...yet. I'm gonna make some tea and then settle down. Been a busy day:)

message 22: by Ctgt (new)

Ctgt | 761 comments Sorry Addy :( didn't mean to spoil.

message 23: by Addy (new)

Addy | 4989 comments No, you didn't spoil. I just waited to read what you wrote til I finished:)

I agree with everything you said. My only complaint was the format. It was unique, but some of the jargon went over my head. The story itself was interesting and gruesome. I was more interested in the details of the murder...lol. Can't help it:) Towards the end it seemed as though she threatened the judge about the so called conspiracy. Very clever. A nice little night cap.

message 24: by Addy (new)

Addy | 4989 comments I have to say this story with Dennis and Max is my favorite so far. I was feeling really sorry for Max until the whole google me request. Was he really in an insane asylum? This guy was crazy despite the fact that he wanted you to believe otherwise. What a way to go, poor Dennis. I really enjoyed how twisted this story became. I definitely didn't see it coming.

message 25: by Ctgt (new)

Ctgt | 761 comments Didn't get much reading done over the weekend. I'll catch up today.

message 26: by Ctgt (new)

Ctgt | 761 comments I agree, I never saw it coming either. I thought it was a little weird early on when Max heard the message about his mother being out of town and he acted liked he wasn't aware of that. I should have put it together right then and there.

message 27: by Addy (new)

Addy | 4989 comments Didn't get a chance to read this one. I'll do 2 tomorrow.

message 28: by Ctgt (new)

Ctgt | 761 comments Next one is really short but umm...... what's the word, disturbing(?), in a gross out sort of way. For some strange reason I found this amusing, not laugh out loud funny but I think it goes back to the title. I never would have predicted the direction of the story from the title. I guess I just keep imagining trying to explain this situation to your parents. Mom, Dad I have something to tell you! I should be more horrified than amused by something alive coming out of your body. This goes back to the beauty of this short form, so many questions left unanswered, so much left to your own imagination. What are these things, how did they get there, are they truly alive and sentient. This might be my favorite so far.

message 29: by Addy (new)

Addy | 4989 comments Lol. Had to laugh at this one. I thought it was a unique take on diarrhea. I don't even think the guy understood what these things were that he was birthing from his a%#! If you enjoyed this one I suggest you read What Grabs You by Mark Tompkins. Its short and free!

message 30: by Ctgt (new)

Ctgt | 761 comments Thanks for the heads up, I'll check it out.
So, "There is a Family" didn't really hit the mark for me. I liked the concept of ancient texts and finding a secret place but the actual moment where Charles disappears happened so fast I almost missed it. I had to go back and read that part a second time to figure out what had happened.

message 31: by Addy (new)

Addy | 4989 comments Ok. I have no idea what I just read. Like you I liked the beginning. It had promise. I wanted to know what secrets Reginald was keeping, then Bam! You lost me. What was in the bag? What is the red goo? What happened to Charles? Was it some kind of time travel? In so confused. Gonna try to move on to the next one. If u have anymore insight, id love to hear it!

message 32: by Ctgt (new)

Ctgt | 761 comments I've got nothin'. It seems like this is one story where too much info was left to our imaginations.

Just finished "College" this morning and this was the first story that I didn't like. Wait, that's not right. I liked the discussion about bringing global problems down to a personal level but I'm not sure it fit in this collection. Just seemed a little out of place.

message 33: by Addy (new)

Addy | 4989 comments Didn't read much cause of the much anticipated holiday, but I will catch up today:)

message 34: by Addy (new)

Addy | 4989 comments Read College and I really liked the story and its intensity, only to flop at the end. Maybe it didn't flop but I didn't understand what it meant when the money printed out or what the point of the experiment was? Once again, it just left too many questions unanswered, but maybe that's his style. Idk.

message 35: by Addy (last edited Nov 29, 2013 10:28PM) (new)

Addy | 4989 comments Just finished the next one with the really long title. I didn't really enjoy it. Prob my least favorite. I understood that the IT found pleasure in others miseries, but why he killed Mark off I'm not so sure. The whole gay convo between them also was confusing. Just was kind of a weird story for me.

message 36: by Ctgt (new)

Ctgt | 761 comments I really liked the concept of "Something Unclear", "Something Squirming", I thought it was a cool way to look at the way different people handle situations by personifying the action. I did think it got a little muddled though.

message 37: by Ctgt (new)

Ctgt | 761 comments Finished tonight. I think the last story was my favorite. The beginning with the three of them in the closet and then sort of moving on with their lives. Pretty cool look at how some people cope with guilt. It had some elements that reminded me of other stories but I can't quite pin down why they seemed familiar. Another one of his stories with loads of unanswered questions.

3.5 rounded up to 4.

message 38: by Addy (new)

Addy | 4989 comments I'll finish tomorrow. Been way too busy lately.

message 39: by Addy (new)

Addy | 4989 comments Ok. The Nothing story was great, especially when pondering the brain and why it cannot detect illnesses but rather has a mind if its own...lol. Ending, a little confusing. I almost feel like I'm missing some kind of inside joke.

message 40: by Addy (new)

Addy | 4989 comments Finished. I really enjoyed the last one as well. It was very intense and I feel like I could relate when he talked about his parents and his job. Who doesn't feel like a failure sometimes? Lol. He was just very real for me. The guilt that he felt over Victoria, it was very clear that what ever happened at the bar was traumatic and set him on a different path in life. This anthology was very well written and entertaining. It was very meaningful and relatable. I'll give it a 4:)

message 41: by Ctgt (new)

Ctgt | 761 comments I figure there were only 3-4 stories that didn't do it for me so that makes this a pretty good read from an author I was unfamiliar with. Thanks for the invite Addy.

message 42: by Addy (new)

Addy | 4989 comments Thanks for joining me! I enjoyed the company:)