European Royalty discussion

European Royalty Group Reads > The Plantagenets: Parts 1 - 2

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sara W (new)

Sara W (sarawesq) | 2153 comments Please discuss The Plantagenets: The Warrior Kings and Queens Who Made England Part I: Age of Shipwreck and Part II: Age of Empire here.

message 2: by Kathleen (last edited Nov 19, 2013 05:30AM) (new)

Kathleen "The Prince was drunk...two hundred young and beautiful members of England and Normandy's ruling families..aboard a magnficant white longship. The prince was William the Aetheling..only legitimate son"

The author sets the stage for the Plantagenets here when earlier he describes discontent with Norman rule..

The sinking of the White Ship was seen as a political catastrophe for the Norman Dynasty and Stephen of Blois was in King Henry's vessel which sailed on to England for Christmas.

The author says that three decades of chaos would prevail..

message 3: by MaryKate (new)

MaryKate (marykate711) | 10 comments Kathleen wrote: ""The Prince was drunk...two hundred young and beautiful members of England and Normandy's ruling families..aboard a magnficant white longship. The prince was William the Aetheling..only legitimate ..."

The author made this such a vibrant scene. I could understand how devastating it was not only for those who lost family and friends, but for England itself. To lose its golden child to what amounted to a silly, drunken mistake must have been terrible.

message 4: by Mandy (new)

Mandy Moody | 544 comments Traveldog wrote: "My comment isn't really about the book but just saying aloud something I've often thought and recalled, again, in reading the the first chapters, which seem to be setting the stage for the entry of..."

I think we've discussed this before, actually. For some reason I think Plaidy might have a book about the other Matilda...she wrote about just about everyone, after all! Some of her books are really hard to find now, though.
Sara is the Plaidy expert, she might know!

message 5: by Mandy (new)

Mandy Moody | 544 comments I am listening to this as an audio book (while I get ready for Christmas and my kids are in school!) AND reading it in print (when I have the time.)
I just finished up the part about Richard the Lionheart. Bleck. He is one of my least favorite monarchs. So self important!
I did think the authors assertion that he was absolutely, positively NOT gay was interesting. To my mind, the evidence pretty strongly suggests that he WAS gay. Either way, he was tiresome. It's odd to me that he was so popular - both when he lived and after he died. He wasn't much of a king to England - other people were always doing his work for him!

Just starting John today. I have sewing to do and I'm really looking forward to listening. Can't wait to see how Jones spins King John! He's one of my favorites.

message 6: by Sara W (new)

Sara W (sarawesq) | 2153 comments Mandy wrote: "Traveldog wrote: "My comment isn't really about the book but just saying aloud something I've often thought and recalled, again, in reading the the first chapters, which seem to be setting the stag..."

Sorry I've been a little MIA with this discussion!

Plaidy does indeed have a book which at least throws Stephen's wife into the mix. It's been a while since I read it, but the facts Traveldog described do sound familiar, and I think I would have only read them in a Plaidy book. The novel is book 3 of her Norman Trilogy - The Passionate Enemies:

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1...

As for this Plantagenet book, I'm attempting to listen to the audio book, but I'm having a hard time focusing on it. I'm up to Richard the Lionheart, but I don't feel like I've retained anything (or have a good feel for the book in general). That's pretty much the reason I haven't had anything to add to the discussion. I think I may have done better with the actual book. Maybe I'll try starting it over.

message 7: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen There is a lot of data in the book.. I found myself skimming some of it.. I have my favorites..lol

message 8: by Brett (new)

Brett Markham | 11 comments In my opinion You can definitely tell who this author feels very favorably of and who he does not.

message 9: by Brett (new)

Brett Markham | 11 comments Mandy wrote: "I am listening to this as an audio book (while I get ready for Christmas and my kids are in school!) AND reading it in print (when I have the time.)
I just finished up the part about Richard the Li..."

I agree with you about Richard. He is my least favorite King to read about. He did not do a whole lot of ruling in England so I'm not sure how great of a King he could have been. John is also one of my favorites to read about along with some of the others that are normally labeled as "bad" kings: John, Henry III, Edward II, Richard II.