The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

WINTER CHALLENGE 2013 > 0.0 Fit This Book

Comments Showing 1-44 of 44 (44 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dlmrose (new)

Dlmrose | 18020 comments Mod
Have a book and don't know what tasks it may work for ? Ask here.

message 3: by Bea (new)

Bea | 4157 comments 20.7 option 2 Genre = Science fiction
25.5 option C author name James (one of two books)
25.9 option 3 #1 of series (one of two books)
30.2 option A Genres - science fiction and fantasy (one of two books)

message 4: by Claire (new)

Claire (proud-mum) | 1092 comments Thank you :) x

message 5: by Anne (Booklady) (last edited Dec 07, 2013 06:53PM) (new)

Anne  (Booklady) Molinarolo (wwwgoodreadscomAnneMolinarolo) | 939 comments I may read a play, if it has 100+ pages in it, correct? I was thinking of Julius Caesar 128 pages or Romeo and Juliet 283 pages for a 5 point task.

message 6: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 16396 comments Mod
Anne (Booklady) wrote: "I may read a play, if it has 100+ pages in it, correct? I was thinking of Julius Caesar 128 pages or Romeo and Juliet 283 pages for a 5 point task."

plays re fine for use in the challenge.

message 8: by Bluemoon (new)

Bluemoon (bluemoon286) | 1839 comments Claire wrote: "Girls In Love by Jacqueline Wilson"

5.6 - First in a series
10.9 - The word IN appears to be white
15.2 - Favorite author or new author
15.9 - First in a series
15.10 - Any book

message 9: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7781 comments also Stacie's task - shelved as children (25.10)

message 10: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7781 comments any thoughts on Revenge Wears Prada: The Devil Returns - it just came in at the library (i've had it on hold for like 3 months)...

message 11: by Bluemoon (new)

Bluemoon (bluemoon286) | 1839 comments Dee wrote: "any thoughts on Revenge Wears Prada: The Devil Returns - it just came in at the library (i've had it on hold for like 3 months)..."

5.6 - 1-9 in a series
5.10 - Book Club Genre
10.9 - Title and author in white
15.9 - Latest book in a series
20.1 2B - Second in a series
20.9 1B - Takes place in NY

message 12: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7781 comments ohhh book club! i missed that when I looked - squee!!! (yes, i'm that excited!)

message 13: by Alison (new)

Alison | 186 comments Just got this one for Christmas... can't decide where to put it. Help please?

David and Goliath by Malcolm Gladwell

message 14: by Anne (Booklady) (new)

Anne  (Booklady) Molinarolo (wwwgoodreadscomAnneMolinarolo) | 939 comments Alison wrote: "Just got this one for Christmas... can't decide where to put it. Help please?

David and Goliath by Malcolm Gladwell"

15.10 your choice of books
30.1 Option 4 ARGH in title

message 15: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7781 comments if you just got it - was it added to your TBR this year (asuming yes)

there is also one of the 25 pointers (I think)/or a 20 pointer - with book published in the 6 months prior which this would fit

message 16: by Bea (new)

Bea | 4157 comments 30.7 Option 4 if it will help you improve in some way -nonfiction self-improvement
30.1 Option 6 (if you rolled a 6) - Any book
25.9 Option 1 if the author is New-To-You
25.9 Option 2 - NEW BOOK
15.10 Any Book
10.9 Cover is white

message 17: by Bea (new)

Bea | 4157 comments Anne (Booklady) wrote: "30.10 Option 4 ARGH in title"

Anne, I do not see an R in the title, so that option will not work.

message 19: by Elizabeth (last edited Dec 27, 2013 09:44AM) (new)

Elizabeth (elizabeth_greece) | 1183 comments Claire wrote: "The Frangipani Hotel: Fiction by Violet Kupersmith"

25.10, option 2

message 20: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7781 comments there is the 15 pointer with color in the name - since violet is a color

message 21: by Emily (new)

Emily | 692 comments Claire wrote: "The Frangipani Hotel: Fiction by Violet Kupersmith"

I was actually planning on using The Frangipani Hotel: Fiction for 20.3, option 1, since it's a book of short stories.

message 22: by Claire (new)

Claire (proud-mum) | 1092 comments Thank you :)

message 24: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (elizabeth_greece) | 1183 comments Claire wrote: "Existence by Abbi Glines"

25.10, option 1 (the paperback has 162 pg)

message 25: by Claire (new)

Claire (proud-mum) | 1092 comments Thanks again x

message 26: by Jim (new)

Jim Townsend | 46 comments Good evening,

I joined this group earlier this afternoon and would like to join this challenge, but after reading the rules and all the links related to the challenge, I'm more than a little intimidated. Nonetheless I would like to see where this fits. Each book within the omnibus is at least 200 pages.

Chronicles of the Black Company by Glen Cook

Jim

message 27: by Julie (new)

Julie Hi Jim, here are just a few suggestions:

5.6 In The Billiards Room--Read a series book #1 through #9
5.7 In The Hall--Author's last name is four letters
15.2 The Old And The New--this should fit for either book 1 or book 2 depending on whether you've read this author before

I'm sure there are other places it would fit as well, I just wanted to give you a few ideas!

message 28: by Jim (new)

Jim Townsend | 46 comments Hi Julie,

Thanks for the help. I don't think I'll participate in this challenge because I'm afraid of making too many mistakes, although I've read three books (and finished a fourth which I'd begun reading December 19, 2013) this month.

message 29: by Anne (Booklady) (new)

Anne  (Booklady) Molinarolo (wwwgoodreadscomAnneMolinarolo) | 939 comments Jim, don't give up. The first challenge is always intimidating - it does get better. I think I am on my 7th or 8th now. I'm slightly addicted, but I experienced your fears and fears when I did my 1st. =)

message 30: by Julie (new)

Julie This is my first one. The key (for me anyway) is to stay organized. I created a spreadsheet just for the challenge! LOL

I guess my OCD is showing..... ;)

message 31: by Bea (new)

Bea | 4157 comments Jim, the full challenge can be quite overwhelming. If you want to participate, just break it into smaller challenges...like x point books only. Then read the 10 mini-challenge descriptions and pick your books and read. When it comes to posting for points, follow the format, re-read the task descriptions to ensure your book meets the requirements...and take a deep breath and post. (If you make an error, you will find a comment on the errors thread, telling you how to fix it.)

message 32: by Fandury (new)

Fandury | 975 comments Julie wrote: "This is my first one. The key (for me anyway) is to stay organized. I created a spreadsheet just for the challenge! LOL

I guess my OCD is showing..... ;)"

Just to confirm its not only your OCD, I have a spreadsheet also. I think quite some participants have.

I even admit that looking for books and filling it in is at least half the fun of the challenge for me... ;-D

message 33: by Sandy (new)

Fandury wrote: "Just to confirm its not only your OCD, I have a spreadsheet also. I think quite some participants have...."

I too use a spreadsheet - of course there's the massive readerboard spreadsheet, but I always use a spreadsheet for my personal reading, to keep track of what I have tentatively planned, what I have already read, what I'm currently reading. I would have a very hard time without it!

message 34: by Julie (new)

Julie That is the fun for me as well.....scouring my shelves to find books that would fit!

Happy reading everyone!

message 35: by Anne (Booklady) (new)

Anne  (Booklady) Molinarolo (wwwgoodreadscomAnneMolinarolo) | 939 comments Julie wrote: "This is my first one. The key (for me anyway) is to stay organized. I created a spreadsheet just for the challenge! LOL

I guess my OCD is showing..... ;)"

Julie, I keep a running list of the tasks I complete in a notebook. I leave a couple pages blank and then I list ALL tasks in order (leaving blanks for the 2 book tasks) and also fill them in as I go, so I can look at a glance my books as well as my uncompleted tasks.

message 37: by Fandury (last edited Feb 14, 2014 04:38AM) (new)

Fandury | 975 comments There are some options:

5.7 Author with 4 letters in first name
5.10 Genre Book Club
10.6 Book with Genre Humor
10.9 Book with something white on the cover
15.7 Author name contains a color
20.4 Option 3 Three Es in title and author

message 38: by Prajakta (new)

Prajakta | 150 comments Thanks a lot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

message 40: by Prajakta (new)

Prajakta | 150 comments Is there any way of fitting this book. I downloaded it from Kobo because it was free. A Wish a Day for a Week by Amartya Sen

message 41: by Sandy (new)

Prajakta wrote: "Is there any way of fitting this book. I downloaded it from Kobo because it was free. A Wish a Day for a Week by Amartya Sen"

it looks to be 19 pages, so it wouldn't work under SRC rules.

message 42: by Fandury (new)

Fandury | 975 comments I think the problem will be that it is much too short. Amazon estimates this as 19 pages, and and I do not think that this will be approved for being over 100 pages and so can be used for the challenge.

message 43: by Deborah (new)

Deborah | 1410 comments Claire, If you're still hunting:

Animal Farm by George Orwell

10.9 - White Sale! if there is white on your copy
15.10 – Celebrate! Book of your choice meet SRC requirements
20.4 Option 3 Three Es in title and author
20.7 - Shorter is Sweeter - Laurie ME's Task: Is There a Conspiracy To Be Found Here? Option 2 Science Fiction genre on main page

message 44: by Claire (new)

Claire (proud-mum) | 1092 comments Thanks, I used 10.9 :)