The Luminaries The Luminaries question

How does Anna's baby die?
Varda Nisar Varda Nov 18, 2013 12:24PM
I need to know how does Anna's baby die? I mean who harms her so hard that she is taken to the Doctor. And what is Lowenthal doing there and when did he find her.. I might have missed that point somewhere. And it is so hard to find that one detail in the book? HELP!

I really think it was the horse that caused the injuries.

Also, totally confused about the fortune. Whose fortune was it in Corsby's house? Staines hid his fortune and how is it connected to Crosby's fortune?

F 25x33
Caitie MacGorman I think Carver knew he couldn't walk around with "Aurora" stamped gold, so he found it, drugged Crosbie, and put the gold in his house knowing Lydia w ...more
Jan 16, 2014 06:43AM · flag

Thomas (last edited Jan 03, 2014 12:02PM ) Jan 03, 2014 12:02PM   0 votes
I'm as certain as one can about a literary novel that Carver smacked Anna when she was too drugged up to tell him about Crosbie, however then a shot fired and his horse reared unexpectedly causing the baby-losing injuries.

I'm guessing the horse trampled her.

There was no doubt in my mind that she was injured and lost the baby when Carver's horse was startled, reared up and kicked or trampled her.

It was Carver that attacked Anna and made her lose the baby. They bumped into each other quite by accident and Anna refused to tell him that Crosbie Wells was in the Arahura valley. He unsuprisingly got angry and struck her. The incident is skipped over quite quickly in the later chapters but based on Lowenthal's description of her condition when she was discovered I think we can assume it was a vicious assault. Cant remember why Lowenthal was there unfortunately but hope that helps!

Thomas Edmund Wow Eric I totally missed this part and had been wondering for some time - I realised there was some sort of connection between the misfire of Anna's ...more
Jan 03, 2014 12:01PM · flag