Struggling Writers discussion

*Archives * > NaNoWriMo 2013 Questionnaire

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (jessicalynxo) Hello fellow wrimos! Now that NaNoWriMo is (sadly) coming to a close in about two weeks, what have you learned from the experience? What would you have done differently? Did you make any new friends? How did the whole experience effect you overall?

*Please note: Some of your answers may be quoted and featured in our December Struggling Writers Newsletter.

message 2: by Tara ♪ (new)

Tara ♪ | 445 comments Well.... It really made me learn some stuff about time management, and it made me realize how interesting I need to make these characters to get anywhere. :)

message 3: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (jessicalynxo) True. I learned how to budget my time so i would be able to write each day.

message 4: by Shlomo (new)

Shlomo (shlomoreuben) | 48 comments Before I started Nano, I used to write 500 words twice a week. I had only written a couple of short stories of more than a thousand words.

As Nano fire started, and was engulfed by other wrimos, providing more and more inspiration and motivation, things started to feel much easier. And even when the writer's block hit a few times, they could easily be overcome.

And now, as I reach the fourth week of Nano, I feel so comfortable that it feels awkward until I have written 2000 words at least. And it gets even better, as the zone becomes comfortable, it tends to motivate even further into writing more than 3000 words.

Although I might be writing only 2000 words for the story, I feel it easy to write about something else besides the novel. As I am able to spread over more areas and involve deeper into writing, it feels better and better all the time.

There's a lot you can achieve when you can achieve your daily targets, while you're involved in NaNoWriMo. It's an awesome experience.

message 5: by L (last edited Nov 24, 2013 06:43AM) (new)

L {Sorry if i have written too much}

NaNoWriMo is an incredible experience that one has to discover by yourself, as it is impossible to explain it in so many words. The challenge of writing so many words a day not only encourages you to write your novel (rather than talk about writing it), but it keeps you grounded and focused so as to remain dedicated to the task of novel writing. From participating in NaNoWriMo I have in short; been inspired, encouraged, motivated and driven to pursue something that I am passionate about and find so rewarding. To know that I am not alone and that there are so many people who regardless of having little or no experience in the publishing world or with writer’s contacts etc. have managed to complete such a daunting task. To work towards a universal goal with passionate people who are similarly inspired by authors who have managed to write a novel and even publish it, is empowering as I know anything is possible now!

I have learnt many things; from understanding how challenging writing can be, how writing a novel requires dedication and that it requires time. I have made so many wonderful, likeminded friends who all share a common interest in the written word and who are as enthusiastic about attempting this remarkable feat as I am.

Without NaNoWriMo I may not have had the push to get started on my novel, and so it could have simply remained a ‘dream’ and something to talk about. I have been able to put a lot of time and effort into one single project, thus the goal of finishing writing a novel (for publication) seems now much more possible, achievable and likely to happen than if I hadn’t of stuck to the daily word count. I now have a deeper insight into an author’s world and what it is like to be a full-time writer with deadlines and extensive plots to write. My admiration and respect for those who have written a novel(s) and who are published has certainly increased since taking part in NaNo and I really do ‘hold my hat off’ to them, as it is a long hard process that is not to be taken lightly.

Writing my novel and being a part of National Novel Writing Month’ has to be the most rewarding thing I have ever done. That feeling at the end of the month when you see how much you have actually written is just electrifying…even if it is under the 50,000-word count. It is also addictive hence why I am continuing writing and aim to carry on working on my novel (the first in a series), long after the month of November has ended. If my work is ever published then I could honestly say that what gave me the shove I needed to get started was without a doubt NaNoWriMo…therefore every aspiring writer should have a go!! Don’t even hesitate!

message 6: by Grace (new)

Grace (fictionaladventures) | 237 comments This was my first NaNo but my third book I've written. It seriously helped me a lot, I think. Even though this was by far my worst book yet, I learned a lot about what works and doesn't work for me. For example, now I know that I can't go into a book with a full outline, but I also can't go into it knowing nothing beforehand. From now on, unless I find something that works better, I will really get to know my characters and the direction my book is going in before I sit down to write, but then I'll let most of the events come to me as I'm writing.

If I was to do this over again, I would have cared more about my characters. Not that I really could have controlled that much, but my biggest problem with this one was that I didn't give a poop about them (I also think that came from not getting to know them beforehand so they never really developed).

I made a new friend named Tori and I LOVE her. I will seriously keep her around to help me with my books in the future.

Overall, this has really been a great thing for me. I picked up the momentum pretty fast and I still haven't dropped it! I've even been inspired to write two more books in a month each (one in December that I started yesterday and the next in January). I really loved NaNo, and I recommend it to anyone who has ever wanted to write a book.

message 7: by J.G. (new)

J.G. Cully (jgcully) | 30 comments Although I didn't 'win' this year, it was an amazing experience. I wrote 26,000 words in a month which is still quite an achievement and it's set me up for the next few months of drafting and editing. It has been a fantastic experience for me as a writer and one I hope to repeat next year! I would recommend it to any writer looking to get that boost to there word count :).

message 8: by J.G. (new)

J.G. Cully (jgcully) | 30 comments Their word count even...sigh :(

message 9: by Jessica (last edited Dec 10, 2013 12:09PM) (new)

Jessica (jessicalynxo) You're totally right about how writing 26K in a month is still an amazing achievement. Props to you! Don't be down on yourself. :)

message 10: by Tara ♪ (new)

Tara ♪ | 445 comments I ended up not winning NaNo either, but I really do know that it's a big accomplishment just to write thousands upon thousands of words in only a month!!! :)

message 11: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (jessicalynxo) Exactly! The fact that everyone even decided to give it a try is amazing in itself; taking on such a touch challenge!