The Sword and Laser discussion

TV, Movies and Games > Almost Human

Comments Showing 1-45 of 45 (45 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Michele (new)

Michele | 1154 comments So I just finished watching the pilot episode and I'm loving it. Karl Urban is a hottie favorite of mine, but aside from that I thought the story was well set up, all the acting was decent, the effects were well done, and the bromance has good chemistry.

Looking forward to the second part later tonight. Definitely going on my dvr list.

message 2: by Travis (new)

Travis (the_hero_of_canton) Urban did well in Riddick and Bourne and this was no exception. I'm interested in seeing where this goes.

message 3: by Michael (new)

Michael Underwood | 116 comments I'm really happy to see more honest-to-goodness Science Fiction on Network TV in the USA. I only hope that the ratings justify the (likely substantial) special effects budget.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

I hope this show lasts,it kind of reminded me of BladeRunner.

message 5: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Swerbensky  | 75 comments I'm liking it so far. I think it's bit more interesting than Sleepy Hollow (sorry, I just couldn't get into it).

And yeah, it doesn't hurt that Karl Urban is in it.

message 6: by Ryne (new)

Ryne | 68 comments After 2 episodes it's my favorite new show. So far at least.

message 7: by Rasnac (new)

Rasnac | 336 comments What is this show about?

message 8: by Rick (new)

Rick | 2869 comments Rasnac wrote: "What is this show about?"

Does Google not work where you are?

message 9: by Fred (new)

Fred Fenimore | 7 comments Sort of an urban fantasy version of Law and Order

message 10: by Fred (new)

Fred Fenimore | 7 comments NO! not urban fantasy. Urban Bio-fantasy

message 11: by Joe Informatico (last edited Nov 22, 2013 07:17AM) (new)

Joe Informatico (joeinformatico) | 888 comments Rasnac wrote: "What is this show about?"

It's FOX's latest entry in the popular subgenre* of science fiction/police procedural stories pairing a human detective with a robot partner. And a surprisingly good one so far, mostly because of the performances of the two leads.

*Previous examples include Holmes & Yo-Yo, Mann & Machine, Penny Arcade's limited web comic series Automata, and the grandfather of them all, Isaac Asimov's The Caves of Steel

message 12: by Jocelyn (new)

Jocelyn (jocelyn73c) | 4 comments I am definitely in love with this show. I was excited for it for a while, ever since it was announced at upfronts in the spring, and it really did not disappoint at all! I'm really happy there's something truly scifi on network again!

message 13: by Misti (new)

Misti (spookster5) | 488 comments Finally got around to watching the second episode last night. I am hooked! I hope it continues to do well.

message 14: by Rasnac (new)

Rasnac | 336 comments Thanks guys; I'll check it out! ;)

message 15: by Trike (new)

Trike | 8768 comments Boring with too much repetition for people who aren't paying attention.

I find it eye-rollingly unbelievable that Karl Urban could push a hugely expensive piece of equipment out of a moving car and not get busted for that. Accidentally wrecking a cruiser is one thing, but intentionally destroying an android that must cost a million bucks has to be frowned upon. Not to mention that it records everything all the time. Do they not constantly upload to the cloud? Have acceleratometers? Back-up memories? Like all the stuff inside our phones right now?

Of course they do -- they showed us doing all of those things.

message 16: by Trike (new)

Trike | 8768 comments Charlton wrote: "I hope this show lasts,it kind of reminded me of BladeRunner."

I think you misspelled "I, Robot with Will Smith" there.

message 17: by PointyEars42 (new)

PointyEars42 | 44 comments Don't start that game. We'll be here all year listing the moments in this show that remind us of something we've seen somewhere else.

Don't get me wrong - I'm still watching it despite the mash up of cop show cliches and sci fi movie borrowings. Its one of the better 1st episodes I've seen in a US show recently and doesn't bear that disheartening "give it a few episodes to find it's feet" tag. Why yes, you can sketch out a whole world and the main character's backstory in one scene without emotionally spoon-feeding me till I choke. Plus I feel like Karl Urban owes me for how sub-par Riddick was and I will watch the hell out of Almost Human until I feel suitably compensated.

message 18: by Trike (new)

Trike | 8768 comments I currently feel like the only person on the planet who does not get the love for Karl Urban. In interviews he seems like a smart, interesting guy, but on film he's dry white toast without a glass of water handy.

message 19: by M. (new)

M. Keep (jmkeep) | 4 comments I watched the first season of Almost Human and kind of felt it was... rushed? Like the emotional attachments of some of the characters to side characters and stuff. It kind of felt inauthentic to me.

message 20: by Rob, Roberator (new)

Rob (robzak) | 6892 comments Mod
I already like it a lot more than agents of shield

message 21: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Swerbensky  | 75 comments I wouldn't say I liked it more then Agents of Shield… but then I'm a self professed Joss Whedon fangirl. (My first born son's name is Xander). But I do think it's one of the more fun shows of the season.

message 22: by Rob, Roberator (new)

Rob (robzak) | 6892 comments Mod
I'm a big Whedon fan too, which makes shield that much more of a disappointment for me. It's still early for both shows though.

message 23: by Reed (new)

Reed Bosgoed (ReedBosgoed) | 17 comments I like it so far. It's a fun action sci fi series that isn't taking itself too seriously, nor is it getting bogged down in vain attempts at jokes like agents of shield is.

message 24: by Dara (new)

Dara (cmdrdara) | 2702 comments I watched the first two episodes and it's been mostly "meh". Karl Urban is nice eye candy but what's keeping me watching is Michael Ealy. He's wonderful so far as Dorian. I hope we get to see Minka Kelly actually work and not just be a walking infodump. I also hope for more for Lili Taylor's character.

message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

I've seen the first two episodes and I really like it so far.The "Dorian" character is a good plus to Karl Urbans' character.

message 26: by Mysterio2 (last edited Nov 25, 2013 11:35AM) (new)

Mysterio2 | 85 comments I finally sat down and watched some of an episode last night, the one about the Albanian sexbot dealers abducting real human women to steal their DNA, or something. Sounds even more ridiculous than it seemed when I try to describe it.

Decidedly meh about it.

The two leads are engaging if a bit unsubtle in their approaches, and the plot was decidedly ham-fisted with too much telegraphing of where the story was going. I mean, the Albanian baddies practically had horns and goat's feet.

Never mind the completely hand-wavy science.

It's written as if the audience is either stupid, new to science fiction, or just not particularly paying attention. I *kind of* hope it hangs on for awhile so that the network people won't be able to say, 'See? Another failed SF effort. I tell you, those people make a lot of noise but they just don't show up in the ratings books where it counts.' But I also hope it kind of doesn't succeed, so that maybe someone will finally figure out that SF and fantasy stories are stories first, and SF shows need to be crafted as skillfully as any other sort of show if they are to succeed over time.

message 27: by Serendi (new)

Serendi | 846 comments Liked the pilot, figured what didn't work was okay, because, pilot! Started being bugged by a fair amount of stuff in the second episode, have seen sneak peeks for tonight's episode and am starting to wince.

According to the forum thread on Television Without Pity, they skipped the originally shot episodes 2-4 and showed the pilot and 5; tonight's is 6, and I think next week's is 8? Wonder what that's about...

message 28: by [deleted user] (new)

Okay,now you have me confused.

message 29: by PointyEars42 (new)

PointyEars42 | 44 comments Ep 2 (or 5?)- The absence of male sexbots was very odd.

message 30: by Erik (new)

Erik Redin (erik_redin) | 149 comments Serendi wrote: "According to the forum thread on Television Without Pity, they skipped the originally shot episodes 2-4 and showed the pilot and 5; tonight's is 6, and I think next week's is 8? Wonder what that's about..."

It's a little worrisome if the network thought the sexbot episode was the best available episode to air of the first four after the pilot. Then again, it's FOX.

Much like AGENTS OF SHIELD, I really want to like ALMOST HUMAN, but it definitely needs work. It's a likeable cast, but the writing did make me shake my head often. I'm pretty good at suspending my disbelief, but there were issues with the pilot and the sexbot episode I just couldn't overlook.

message 31: by Serendi (new)

Serendi | 846 comments There were several theories about why they skipped episodes, including changing their minds about a part of the series and having to reshoot portions of the episodes. Dunno, though.

message 32: by Dara (new)

Dara (cmdrdara) | 2702 comments I'm with Erik - I want to like it more than I do.

message 33: by Reed (new)

Reed Bosgoed (ReedBosgoed) | 17 comments I was wondering why the characters seemed to bond far too quickly in the second episode. I was expecting some growing pains in the partnership, but they jumped right into a very comfortable relationship. If 3 episodes in the middle were skipped, that would explain it.

message 34: by Michele (new)

Michele | 1154 comments Well, I'm watching Castle, Grimm, Elementary, and now Almost Human - all cop-type shows. I watch none of them for their realism. I'm enjoying all of them for the partnerships, the group dynamics, and for fun. Kennex and Dorian seem like they are going to be a fun and interesting pair. The fact that it's scifi-ish doesn't matter too much. Still liking it after 3 episodes.

And, "You scanned my balls," is the best line I've heard in any show this year. Laughed my ass off.

message 35: by [deleted user] (new)

I saw the third episode last night,Die Hard in the future.

Patching Dorian with crap from the trash...perfect.

message 36: by Joe Informatico (new)

Joe Informatico (joeinformatico) | 888 comments Still enjoying it, and it's primarily due to the two leads. I've liked Urban for years, but Michael Ealy is phenomenal in this. It helps me overlook how often the LAPD thirty years in the future is worse at basic information gathering than I am with my phone.

PointyEars42 wrote: "Ep 2 (or 5?)- The absence of male sexbots was very odd."

I swore I saw one or two in the room when they go talk to the guy who owned the sexbot company.

message 37: by Firstname (new)

Firstname Lastname | 488 comments PointyEars42 wrote: "Ep 2 (or 5?)- The absence of male sexbots was very odd."

Women would never do something as icky as have sexbots!

/pearl clutch, faint

message 38: by Kevin (last edited Dec 26, 2013 03:49AM) (new)

Kevin | 701 comments I watched the first episode and was (sadly) a bit underwhelmed.

It felt rushed, they tried to cram too much plot and character arc into too short a time span. On top of that they broke my suspension of disbelieve when the guy threw his robot partner out of the car and nobody said anything about it. (Please don't tell me that those things don't have permanent upload streams of their recorded data. Not at that technology level.) Then they replaced it with an obsolete model that apparently has proven to be unstable. But that's all fine and dandy, nobody's worried.

So we have a damaged, unstable cop partnered with an unstable android. It's a fun premise, but I find the way they went about it unbelievably shaky at its core.

message 39: by Michele (new)

Michele | 1154 comments The robot "fell out the door, oops" was pretty ridiculous, but at least its head was crushed by the oncoming 18 wheeler and because robot designers are still idiots they put all the data crap in the robot heads.

And Dorian does have upgrades to make him less unstable or something.

Also, there is supposedly a male sexbot in the "store" if you look for it (I haven't).

But honestly, this is just a buddy cop show that happens to be set a little into the future - its definitely not hard scifi anything, and doesn't try to be really, though some of the imagined tech is pretty cool. I started watching it cuz Karl Urban! and now I'm still watching because he and Michael Ealy have amazing buddycop chemistry and its some fun stuff.

Lots of cop clichés and some scifi clichés and they definitely need to give Minka Kelly something more to do than gaze adoringly at Kennex or soothe troubled victims, but the actors are all solid if they get the time to work out the kinks. Karl Urban does grouchy, sarcastic, yet not a jerk very well, Michael Ealy makes his androidishness subtle, innocent but with a hint of devil, and comes across as very harmless yet we are getting glimpses of badassery to come. And I just love Lili Taylor.

I like it.

message 40: by AndrewP (new)

AndrewP (andrewca) | 2502 comments I'm liking it but am a bit surprised there is no nod to Asimov in the credits. It's pretty much a new take on The Caves of Steel except Dorian does not seem to have to obey the laws of robotics.

message 41: by Dara (new)

Dara (cmdrdara) | 2702 comments I completely forgot to watch the past like, 3 episodes. Guess the show just isn't for me, even with the Karl Urban eye candy.

message 42: by Cory (new)

Cory (silentdante) I am still enjoying the heck out of the show, but then again I enjoyed the TV show "Total Recall 2070" which was pretty good back when. Almost Human has a very similar plot to the total recall show, but I am also a sucker for anything detective/P.I./investigation with future/sci fi parts, of which there is not a huge amount. I really hope people watch the show enough to give it another season so I still have something in my favorite genre to watch :) I am selfish.

message 43: by Kaleb (new)

Kaleb After the first few episodes, I got bored with the show. It doesn't have a real plot! Its just a bromance with over a dozen cliches to add to it.

message 44: by Jonathon (new)

Jonathon Dez-la-lour (jd2607) | 173 comments I tried the pilot back when it first aired and found that it illicted a "meh" response from me. But then, I came back to it after christmas and watched 8 episodes in one sitting. For me, it feels like the show's improved significantly over the run so far. Plus hey, sexy robot leg.

message 45: by Davis (new)

Davis Ashura (davisashura) I've watched every episode so far an like it a lot. I like the chemistry between the two leads, although I think Urban comes off as a bit stiff at times. He was great as Judge Dredd so maybe he's still channeling his inner badass.
The one thing about shows like this is I have to turn off my science brain. If I think too deeply about the biology, chemistry, or physics, it becomes silly. Hence, I never focus on the science but just accept that it's somehow plausible.