Gentleman Bastards discussion

The Republic of Thieves (Gentleman Bastard, #3)
This topic is about The Republic of Thieves
Book #3 > The Repulic of Thieves Read Along Part IV

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Susan (nrlymrtl) | 16 comments OK, so this week Little Red Reviewer is our host, so make sure you clap your eyeballs to her post sooner or later for insightful answers. http://littleredreviewer.wordpress.co...

We covered Chapters 8-10 this week.

MAJOR SPOILERS for the entire series, not just this book, lie below.

Let's start with the Espara timeline.

1. We finally know why Sabetha dies her hair, and that's so disturbing even the Thiefmaker under Shade's Hill was disgusted by it. Too dark for this world? Or just right?

2. The "Asino" brothers are drunken idiots, but they're not blind. What did you think of the little rendezvous they helped arrange for Sabetha and Locke?

3. Locke managed to get everyone out of the Boulidazi mess we discussed last week . . . what do you think of this latest Boulidazi complication?

And back to Karthain (I'm jumping around in time here, leaving the most important bits for last)

4.Time is flying, and the election is getting closer. Desperation calls for cheap tricks. I think my favorite so far is Sabetha's special roof guards. What's your favorite election dirty trick so far?

5.There's a mole in the Deep Roots. Was that person's identity a surprise to you? And how did you like Locke's method of identifying the person?

6.What's so important about this Lovaris fellow? The election is right around the corner, so why introduce someone new so late in the game?

7. It's so nice that Locke and Sabetha can finally have some nice, normal dinner dates. He even cooks her dinner! But that sneaky Patience, always interrupting everything! Finally, she promises some answers. that's nice. what, Locke is WHO? Locke is a WHAT? How much of it do you believe?

Katharine (Ventureadlaxre) (skypirate) | 21 comments Mod
I don't believe anyyyything! It seems so left field though, and it makes it seem like there could have been hints throughout the previous books... when I first read it, I didn't know what to think. Still don't!

Susan (nrlymrtl) | 16 comments Katharine wrote: "I don't believe anyyyything! It seems so left field though, and it makes it seem like there could have been hints throughout the previous books... when I first read it, I didn't know what to think...."

I know! I feel a little like Locke - horrified to believe it possible, yet in denial about it all. And even if it is true, Locke has lived ~23 years as Locke Lamora. That is who he is now. Patience can't take that from him.

Eric Zawadzki | 10 comments First off, I just have to say I was right about Locke getting the lead role. Granted I was waaay off as to the why, but oh well.

1) I had figured it was a matter of blending in - a priority for a con artist - but it makes sense. There's worse crap than this in our own world, but I read enough darker fantasy that it's pretty hard to shock me.

2) I thought that little arrangement was cute. The Gentleman Bastards are family, after all - both in their fights and their kindnesses.

3) What a cluster. Kind of reminded me of Weekend at Bernie's in a weird way. Lovely stuff.

4) I've actually been surprised by how *not* dirty most of the tricks are. The granny patrol was clever, but the only really genuinely effective tactic was blackmailing Locke's chief of staff into spying on the party. Even then, he was so clumsy at it. If you're a halfway competent mole, I'd think you'd have more sense than to act on any intelligence you've gathered if it would leave no question in the enemy's mind as to who was behind the leak. Granted, all the political operatives are hideously mind-fuzzled (really glad that was explained), which makes them a lot less clever than the average spy.

5) My #4 touches on this. The nose candy was Chekhov gunned hard early on, so I think we all knew it would eventually cause some kind of complication. This was a solid one.

6) This is one I'm very curious about. Whatever is on the barge it isn't a bunch of antique knickknacks. I'm thinking it is something incriminating in the extreme - possibly the fortune in jewels Jean was going to be buying to "bribe" the Black Iris elected official. It seems like it's going to be a helluva lot more damning than a shot at just one of the seats on the council, though. The Deep Roots need to capture at least a few seats to have a shot at a majority, and I'm not seeing any way for them to get it by conventional means.

7) I'm pretty sure Patience spun a complex line of BS because she suspected she was being watched and wanted to sow serious chaos among her political opponents. If it's all true, I'll be pretty annoyed, because it is so out of left field and seems intended purely to create drama. If Locke is an ex-bondsmagi with no magic, then what? I just don't know what kind of plot can be harvested beyond this fairly basic "Luke, I am your father" sort of revelation. But I'm reasonably certain either Patience is lying to bring Locke to heel or she's lying to trick her magely enemies into doing something stupid.

Susan (nrlymrtl) | 16 comments Eric wrote: "First off, I just have to say I was right about Locke getting the lead role. Granted I was waaay off as to the why, but oh well.

1) I had figured it was a matter of blending in - a priority for a ..."

I am guessing that the combo of restrictions laid down by the mages (no kidnapping or killing, etc.) and Locke's, Jean's, and perhaps Sabetha's own moral fiber kept the election tricks as clean as they were. I did like that Locke recruited some of the refugees - because this means refugees recruited by either side will have a place in society and be able to help further refugees.

I also want to believe that Patience has spun a good yarn of BS because it is true, it takes the series, and Locke's character, in a totally different direction and I am not sure I would enjoy that.