Fantasy Aficionados discussion

Achive > What TV shows are you watching now?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 60 (60 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Milda (last edited Nov 18, 2013 10:56AM) (new)

Milda Page Runner (mildapagerunner) | 54 comments Just shared with my friend and thought it might be a nice idea for a new topic.

What TV shows are you watching now? And not just fantasy series. Maybe something you watched a few years ago and think it's worth mentioning?

Thats my list of the last 2 years:

Rating:

5* - awesome
4* - good
3* - ok, watchable
2* - kinda... I suppose it has some good moments
1* - didn't like it

Fantasy, urban fantasy, paranormal, historical fiction

Game of Thrones - 5*
The Fades - 4-5*
Vikings - 4-5*
True Blood - 4*
Supernatural - 3-4* (with so many seasons quality varies)
Dracula - 3*
Grimm - 3*
Teen Wolf - 3*
Sleepy Hollow - 2-3*

Sci-fi, space opera, conspiracy thriller

Battlestar Galactica - 5*
Fringe - 5*
Utopia - 4-5*
Defiance - 3-4*
Falling Skies - 3-4*
Person of Interest - 3*
Survivors - 3*
Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D - 2-3*
Revolution - 2*
Terra Nova - 2*
Under the Dome - 2*

Horror

American Horror Story - 4-5* (but the current 3rd season only 3* so far)
The Walking Dead - 4*

Comedy

The Big Bang Theory - 5*
Two and a Half Men - 4* (only when it had Charlie Sheen)
2 Broke Girls - 3*
Anger Management - 3*
Awkward - 3*

Non-fiction, crime drama

Breaking Bad - 4-5*
Justified - 4*
Longmire - 4*
Ray Donovan - 4*
Dexter - 3*
Vegas - 3*
The Following - 2*

message 2: by S.J. (new)

S.J. Lewis (sjlewis) | 469 comments Interesting list. I don't have any premium cable channels, and very often my television is on simply to provide some background noise. However, there are some shows I do make a point of watching:

Non-fiction, crime drama
Justified- 4.5
Longmire- 4.5
NCIS- was a 4.0 for me, but I'm going to miss Cote de Pablo. I tried watching NCIS: Los Angeles and didn't care for it.
CSI- 3.5 Only the old, original series set in Las Vegas.

Comedy (animated)
Archer- 4
The Venture Brothers- 4
Phineas And Ferb- 4

message 3: by Milda (new)

Milda Page Runner (mildapagerunner) | 54 comments Good point! Totally forgot animation.

I love Archer! :) I'd give it 4* as well.

message 4: by Shereen (new)

Shereen Vedam | 560 comments Despite the "3 & 4" scores, I tape all episodes of these so I don't miss one...they're also listed in order of my preference (odd that my one "4" didn't show up at the top! :)

Witches at East End - 3
Sleepy Hollow - 4
Grimm - 3
Once Upon A Time - 3

message 5: by Robert (new)

Robert Wright (rhwright) | 130 comments Once Upon a Time - enjoyable, but the "formula" is starting to wear thin for me.
How I Met Your Mother - much better in this, its final, season
Agents of SHIELD - was underwhelmed, sadly, by most of this. Last week's episode was a turn in the right direction. Hoping they keep improving.
Tomorrow People - winner of the "defying low expectations" award. Fun, action-y, with better done super action than SHIELD has mustered to date. If you can get past the "CW-ness" of it---young, attractive 20-somethings that must function as eye candy and characters and at least one male lead going shirtless at least once per episode---it's an enjoyable show. Surprisingly also doesn't manage to crap all over the original.
Big Bang Theory - just drop dead funny
Doctor Who - well, this is a given. The upcoming special looks quite exciting.

Plus catching up on various older series on Netflix.

Speaking of the CW: any one watching Arrow or Reign? Thoughts?

message 6: by Lucinda (new)

Lucinda | 183 comments Robert wrote: "Speaking of the CW: any one watching Arrow or Reign? Thoughts? "

Arrow is a lot of fun but I frequently cringe when the science is wrong...lol.

Reign is the worst pseudo-history on TV - horrible horrible. Everything about the show is just wrong: setting, people, clothes, events. It makes me weep.

message 7: by Milda (new)

Milda Page Runner (mildapagerunner) | 54 comments Just watched 2 first episodes of the new TV show 'Almost Human' and it looks very good so far. Effects look similar to Fringe, story elements borrowed from I Robot and few rainy night scenes in pilot pleasantly reminded me of Bladerunner. Good effects, lots of action - seems really promising sci-fi/cop show. 4* so far, lets hope it won't come crashing down.

Few other shows I forgot about in the first list:

Continuum - 3* (sci-fi/cop)
Mad Men - 4* (drama)

message 8: by R.A. (new)

R.A. White (rawhite) | 288 comments Like S.J., I watch very little TV, but I have a short list:
Fringe 5*
SHIELD 4*
Grimm 3*
Once Upon a Time 2*
Revolution 1*

I quit anything below a 3, and I've yet to pick up Grimm this season. I probably will see how it's going and decide if I want to continue.

'Almost Human' looks interesting. I'll look into it.

message 9: by Milda (new)

Milda Page Runner (mildapagerunner) | 54 comments Robert wrote: Speaking of the CW: any one watching Arrow or Reign? Thoughts?

I watched first season of Arrow with the hopes that it will get better, but... It didn't even make it into the list cause I didn't see point of posting 1* shows. Idea is good but execution in my opinion was really poor. All cast look like supermodels, main hero way too cheesy with puppy eyes, teenagers voice and constantly posing shirtless demonstrating his rather impresive abbs. I found dialogs poor, actions unbelievable and acting of main characters often cringe worthy. Overall just too pretty and cheesy and lacking any edge or inteligence or grittiness for me to believe in it.

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

S.J. wrote: "Interesting list. I don't have any premium cable channels, and very often my television is on simply to provide some background noise. However, there are some shows I do make a point of watching:

..."

Like you I do watch N.C.I.S.faithfully but was disappointed that Cote de Pablo left.And I couldn't believe after only three episodes.

N.C.I.S. 4*
Sons of Anarchy 4*
Agents of SHIELD 3*
Once Upon a Time 4*
Sleepy Hollow 3*
Almost Human-looking good so far

message 11: by R.A. (new)

R.A. White (rawhite) | 288 comments My husband watched the first episode of Almost Human without me! And I was the one who suggested trying it. What a booger.

message 12: by Milda (new)

Milda Page Runner (mildapagerunner) | 54 comments Almost Human continues to be strong show - I'd give it 4* atm. So far so good.

New show - Helix (by makers of Battlestar Galactica) - just started. Three first episodes look very good - intence scary. Reminds me of old movie 'The Thing' and the lab scenes of 'Resident Evil'. Intrigues and looking forward to next episode.

Another new show - Bitten. Just watched the first episode. Looking rather cheesy, dialogs are poor, too many of cast look like supermodels ready to strike a pose. Could we have a heroine more Barbie like please? and yes, more male characters half naked flexing pecs. Guh...
I'll give it a chance, but so far not impressed.

Teen Wolf - started very strong this season. For a teenage show with too many pretty actors - it continues to suprise me with an interesting plot and rather scary moments. My husband was hiding behind the cushions twice during the first episode - he doesn't like jumpy bits. I managed to sip my tea peacefully and then they put that unexpectedly funny moment in an intence scene and I splurted it all over the place :D

message 13: by Donna (new)

Donna | 11 comments Helix starts here tomorrow so looking forward to watching that.
Orphan Black was interesting but I don't like the lead character much.
Really want to see Almost Human.

message 14: by Milda (new)

Milda Page Runner (mildapagerunner) | 54 comments Thanks for mentioning Orphan Black. Looks interesting, I will check it out.
Have fun with Helix and Almost Human! :)

message 15: by James (new)

James Gonzalez | 131 comments Series I'm watching:

Game of Thrones 5*
Hannibal 5*
The Newsroom 5*
The Walking Dead 4*
Homeland 4*
House of Cards 4*
Agents of SHIELD 3*
Bates Motel 3*
House of Lies 3*
Once Upon a Time 3*
Revolution 2*

Series that I want to watch:

The Following
The Black List
Grimm
Shameless
Being Human
Justified
Banshee
The Killing
Broadchurch

message 16: by Donna (last edited Jan 16, 2014 01:50PM) (new)

Donna | 11 comments Milda, Helix was interesting, very x Files feel about it, even down to the black goo. Maybe they had a barrel of the stuff left over from Tunguska??

Broadchurch is fabulous. Then again I do love David Tennant.

Grimm 5
The Newsroom 5
Fringe 5
Sherlock 5
The Black List 4
Broadchurch 4
Person of Interest 4
Dr Who 3.5 (only because I miss David Tennant as the Doctor)
Sleepy Hollow 3.5
The Walking Dead 3.5
Continuum 3.5
Elementary 3.5
Once Upon a Time 3
Justified 3
Arrow 3
Revolution 2.5
Agents of SHIELD 2

message 17: by Thaddeus (new)

Thaddeus White | 50 comments I don't watch much TV.

The Bridge - 5
Stargate Atlantis - 3/4 (varies a bit, the last episode, The Lost Tribe, was very good)

Marvel's Supermodels of SHIELD is currently on haitus (on UK free-to-air TV anyway). I'll probably watch Top Gear when it comes back too. And I'll get the Games of Thrones DVD when that comes out.

message 18: by Milda (new)

Milda Page Runner (mildapagerunner) | 54 comments Interesting lists here guys! Some shows are new for me, will be fun to check them out.

Donna wrote: "Milda, Helix was interesting, very x Files feel about it, even down to the black goo. Maybe they had a barrel of the stuff left over from Tunguska??

Hehe, the black stuff does look familiar :D

message 19: by Darren (new)

Darren Mcdaid | 2 comments I don't watch much TV but just watched last episode of Dracula. Thought it was an excellent series

message 20: by Kevin (last edited Jan 19, 2014 03:00AM) (new)

Kevin | 284 comments After the rather underwhelming ending of Dexter, and me finally losing interest in Criminal Minds the only series I'm actively following are Person of Interest (which has developed from a spy procedural to sci-fi show with an actual AI driving the show.) and Avatar: Legend of Kora (not as good as the Last Airbender unfortunately.)

And Game of Thrones of course.

Edit: Oh, and I forgot about Orphan Black.

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) Darren wrote: "I don't watch much TV but just watched last episode of Dracula. Thought it was an excellent series"

I kinda liked Dracula. Sad it didn't get renewed.

message 22: by Darren (new)

Darren Mcdaid | 2 comments Oh dear I didn't know that. I was looking forward to the next series!! Wonder why it didn't get renewed as it was very good and thought it had a big enough fan base.

message 23: by Milda (new)

Milda Page Runner (mildapagerunner) | 54 comments Colleen wrote: "Darren wrote: "I don't watch much TV but just watched last episode of Dracula. Thought it was an excellent series"

I kinda liked Dracula. Sad it didn't get renewed."

That's a shame. I thought it was pretty good and getting better. Though being more saucy than scary they manage to do it in style. Quite atmospheric.
I enjoy watching Lady Jane's character - very good choice of actress imo - looks sexy, dangerous, inteligent and cruel. Unusual face.

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) Ah, I misunderstood. When you said last episode I thought it was *last*. I've read many rumors that it probably won't get renewed as its ratings are so low... but not sure anything's decided for sure.

message 25: by Em Lost In Books (new)

Em Lost In Books (emlostinbooks) For me its The Big Bang Theory - 5*+

message 26: by Gianfranco (new)

Gianfranco Mancini | 77 comments The Walking Dead, Game of Thrones, Falling Skies, True Blood and Agents of S.h.i.e.l.d.

message 27: by Monica (new)

Monica | 1 comments The Walking Dead 4 -3, started out strong and it may get there again now that they are changing the scenery
Orphan Black 4
Low Winter Sun 3
Dexter 4
Nikita 3
Justified 4
The Bridge 4
The Killing 4
Supernatural 4
Game of Thrones 5
Boardwalk Empire 4
True Blood 3 it is losing its luster.
Revolution 1, I had to quit watching after the first few episodes.

message 28: by R.A. (new)

R.A. White (rawhite) | 288 comments Is anyone still watching SHIELD? Don't blame you if you're not, but the first two episodes after winter break were surprisingly good. I think they must have gotten a new writer, or something. All of the sudden the characters felt like real people, without all that awkward dialogue and stuff.

message 29: by carol., Senor Crabbypants (new)

carol. | 2616 comments No, I quit SHIELD. No time and too little quality. I limit my 'must see' to Walking/Talking Dead, The Good Wife and Community. And Jon Stewart.

message 30: by Randy (new)

Randy Harmelink | 1018 comments I'm still watching SHIELD. I've always enjoyed it.

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) I'm also still watching SHIELD. Like many shows it's episodes are hit or miss, but I'm liking it overall. And I do like the developments of the last few episodes, especially the stuff with Coulson.

My biggest issue with the show is still Skye, and I think this article summarizes a lot of it: http://www.popmythology.com/why-skye-.... Hopefully the new developments will improve on some of it, though.

message 32: by R.A. (new)

R.A. White (rawhite) | 288 comments Colleen,I guess that about sums it up.

How about Sherlock? Has anyone see it? We watched the first two seasons (only six episodes) like addicts. My favorite show since Fringe and Firefly.

message 33: by [deleted user] (new)

I watched the 1st,2nd and 3rd season of Sherlock.It sucks that there's only 3 episodes per season.

message 34: by Helen (new)

Helen Love Sherlock. Falling Skies has just come to freeview and I'm enjoying that. SHIELD was getting on my nerves, not sure why it didn't live up to my expectations. Found I've missed it since it left for Christmas.

This Christmas holiday programs have now really bugs me. Think I preferred it when the US was miles away and we'd watch the series a year later but straight through. Wouldn't work now with us all being friends and in groups together!

Recorded part one of the Borgias but not watched yet, isn't that supposed to be good?

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) I love Sherlock. 'Sign of Three' was awesome. I was a little underwhelmed with 'His Last Vow', though.

message 36: by R.A. (new)

R.A. White (rawhite) | 288 comments Yeah, Helen, what's up with that three episodes per season poopy? I can understand being annoyed with Christmas breaks, but that's nothing compared to your giving us only three episodes of Sherlock! :) When I found out there were so few, I felt seriously ripped off. Not like they owe me anything in the first place, but you know what I mean. It's like a hard drug; one hit and I was addicted forever!

message 37: by R.A. (new)

R.A. White (rawhite) | 288 comments I haven't seen any of season three yet. Waiting for it to come to netflix.

message 38: by Donna (new)

Donna | 11 comments I saw the new Sherlock's as well. The first and 3rd episodes are fine but agree with Colleen, that His Last Vow was weak. They only have a 3 episode season as they are more like movies/mini series. They tend to go for quality not quantity. Most UK series tend to be about 9-13 episodes long (eg: Dr Who, Downton Abbey)
US series tend to be around 22.

Been enjoying Supernatural since it returned. A few interesting twists going on there. Wonder if this will be the last??

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) I just started watching Supernatural on Netflix. Only on season 2.

message 40: by Donna (new)

Donna | 11 comments Colleen, you have some excellent viewing coming your way with Supernatural. Each series has a good long term thread running through it. I think series 2 is still the yellow eyed demon. Gets much more fun once the Angels turn up.

message 41: by Helen (new)

Helen Most UK series are about 6 episodes of an hour each, whether they have adverts or not. So I suppose the writers feel that Sherlock being an hour and a half comes to the nearly 6 hour mark. I feel cheated that it finishes so quickly.

message 42: by R.A. (new)

R.A. White (rawhite) | 288 comments I feel cheated too, but at the same time, if it's quality or quantity, I'll chose quality any day. Just about anything can be ruined by the 'pump it out' mentality!

message 43: by S.J. (new)

S.J. Lewis (sjlewis) | 469 comments 'Always Leave Them Wanting More' is a good marketing tool.

message 44: by Milda (last edited Feb 20, 2014 05:06PM) (new)

Milda Page Runner (mildapagerunner) | 54 comments There are few new tv shows that I keep meaning to add to the list. (And I will, just when I find that time to do it). But there is one new show that got me really excited and I have to share right now.

True Detective - 5* (crime drama with the occult detective feel to it)

I haven't seen something that atmospheric and haunting on TV since Twin Peaks. Another movie that comes to mind is The Usual Suspects. And then we have Sherlock Holmes type genius mind but much darker personality and some trivia from Blair Witch Project. Woody Harrelson and Matthew McConaughey in main roles mean impeccable acting. Dialogs are brilliant - I wanted to rewind and listen again if I missed one word. It starts slow - building the preasure - but by the 4th episode I had my heart jumping in my throat. It is deep inteligent and very dark show with the moments of dark humour. It's haunting and disturbing and I would not recommend it to deeply religious or romantic people.

This trailer I think gives the right idea:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXwCoN...

message 45: by [deleted user] (new)

Milda wrote: "There are few new tv shows that I keep meaning to add to the list. (And I will, just when I find that time to do it). But there is one new show that got me really excited and I have to share right ..."

Really good description of True Detective.I give it a 5 as well.

message 46: by Kevin (new)

Kevin | 284 comments Yes, so far I'm deeply impressed by True Detective. If they keep this up it might be one of the best shows ever.

message 47: by Thaddeus (last edited Feb 25, 2014 12:20AM) (new)

Thaddeus White | 50 comments Hmm. I haven't seen Agent of SHIELD since the break... but that's because it hasn't been on terrestrial TV (or it has, but they changed the time slot and I've missed it).

I was less taken with the last series of Sherlock. Watson marrying Scrappy-Doo was not a good move.

Helen, I've seen the first two Borgia episodes (on Pick in the UK, 10pm Sunday). Not sure about it, to be honest.

Oh, and I like The Musketeers. First episode had a shade too much daftness (yes, fork-duel, I'm looking at you) but otherwise it's been really rather enjoyable.

message 48: by Randy (new)

Randy Harmelink | 1018 comments I watched Star-Crossed, on The CW, but think it's off my list now.

Mind Games premieres tonight, on ABC.

Perception and Rizzoli and Isles also start up again tonight, on TNT.

message 49: by Milda (last edited Feb 25, 2014 05:57AM) (new)

Milda Page Runner (mildapagerunner) | 54 comments Watched pilot of Star-Crossed last week. So sickeningly cheesy that one episode was more than enough for me. Off my list as well.

I'm continuing watching Shield but it's under Meh category of dinner show now. No gruesome scenes, doesn't require concentration, random funny moments - perfect background whilst eating dinner.

I like Sherlock Holmes, but agree with Thaddeus here - the last series didn't impress me that much.

At the moment the shows I'm most excited about are: True Detective and Walking Dead. Followed by Helix, Almost Human and Justified. And then Teen Wolf and Big Bang Theory for mindless entertainment. Others are mostly fillers for the dinner time/ lazy evening on the coutch.

message 50: by Milda (new)

Milda Page Runner (mildapagerunner) | 54 comments Randy wrote: "I watched Star-Crossed, on The CW, but think it's off my list now.

Mind Games premieres tonight, on ABC.

Perception and Rizzoli and Isles also start up again tonight, on TNT."

Thanks for mentioning these new shows! Mind Games and Perception look interesting. Gonna check them out.

Now those other new shows that I keep meaning to add. We got historical fiction shows and sci-fi crime drama.

The Musketeers - 2-3* light historical fiction. Nicely filmed, acting is alright, few good actors (mainly guest stars). Overall feels smooth but by the 4th episode storyline starts lacking an intrigue for me.

Black Sails - 3* historical fiction about the pirates. Mostly light and funny, some nudity and sexual content, but in a piraty kinda way not romantic. Has certain charm. Something about Captain Vane makes the good girl in me perk up and want to purr like a kitten. Probably adds half a star to show.. :P

Intelligence - 2-3* sci-fi crime drama. Intelligence operative is enhanced with a super-computer microchip in his brain which helps him to access and process all the information instantly and build virtul reality for crime scenes from the bits of information. Started off fairly good, nice effects, sort of reminding me of blend of CSI and Sherlock Holmes shows. But by the 4th episode plott is runing thin, crimes and dialogs are starting to feel fake. Not sure if I'll continue watching the show.

« previous 1