Who's Your Author? discussion

Let's talk about... > Best romance?

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dawn, Desperately seeking new worlds (new)

Dawn (dawnv) | 4053 comments Apparently the upcoming holidays have me feeling like a sap.
I am in the mood for some really good romance. I have read a few excellent ones recently and I was wondering in the UF/PNR world what book has the best romance?

Mind you it does not have to be PNR it can also be UF or Fantasy.

If you list a book tell us why...did love grow over time or was it a believable love at first sight maybe not so believable but just awesome??

message 2: by Nichole ~Bookaholic~ (last edited Nov 19, 2013 07:42PM) (new)

Nichole ~Bookaholic~ (nicholebookaholic) | 672 comments One of my favorite (and I just did a relisten) is
Dragon Bound (Elder Races, #1) by Thea Harrison The Elder Races
while I like the series as a whole my favorites are:
Dragon Bound (Elder Races, #1) by Thea Harrison Oracle's Moon (Elder Races, #4) by Thea Harrison Lord's Fall (Elder Races, #5) by Thea Harrison Kinked (Elder Races, #6) by Thea Harrison

I'm not sure I can really explain why...I just love the world and the characters. The humor and the snark are a bonus I had actually held off on reading Dragon Bound when it fist came out because of all of the hype....I did not think it would live up to it's promise...boy was I wrong

message 3: by Sandra J (last edited Nov 20, 2013 04:21AM) (new)

Sandra J Weaver (sandraweaver) | 147 comments I haven't read Kinked (Elder Races, #6) by Thea Harrison yet, but I agree with you, Nichole. I love that series.

Another author I really enjoy is Dana Marie Bell. The two shifter series I've read are the Halle Pumas and the Halle Shifters (on-going). I'm not a huge fan of the fae, but I love The Gray Court (also on-going). And for something completely different, there's the Maggie's Grove series with its dryads and its vegetarian vampire (and witches and ghosts and wolves). I like the author's voice, her sense of humor (and snark and LOL moments), and her characters. She creates characters that I care about. Her cast is also a diverse one. These are definitely PNR and definitely hot.

The Wallflower (Halle Pumas, #1) by Dana Marie Bell Bear Necessities (Halle Shifters, #1) by Dana Marie Bell Dare to Believe (Gray Court, #1) by Dana Marie Bell Blood of the Maple (Maggie's Grove, #1) by Dana Marie Bell

message 4: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (sunnytat462) | 3121 comments I will second Dana Marie Bell, she is fun to read.

message 5: by Sara (new)

Sara | 860 comments My favorite romances (part 1):

I'm a sucker for a good romance/couple! I'll list my favorites, along with why I like the romance, and my personal highlights of the relationship (vaguely stated to avoid spoilers).

Kate Daniels & Curran Lennart from the Kate Daniels series by Ilona Andrews.

I was hooked on this couple from their first meeting (Here, kitty kitty). I love their combative, feisty relationship and their complete loyalty to the other. They started out antagonistic but developed into a solid partnership - from the beginning Curran patiently pursued the commitment phobic and secretive Kate.

Personal highlights: "As you wish", the saucer of milk at the restaurant, the Midnight Games, the aftermath of Erra's visit, Curran interrupts Kate & Saiman's dinner, Kate revealing her past to Curran, Curran's offer to leave everything behind and run away with Kate, Curran's arrival at Cutting Edge Investigations during the Lightkeepers attack, and their reunion in the latest book.

Jaime Vegas & Jeremy Danvers from the Women of the Otherworld series by Kelley Armstrong.

I found the start of their relationship to be very cute. Jaime is an established celebrity yet Jeremy's quiet, confident presence reduces her to an awkward mess. Their romance is in the background for several of the books until they have their own novel in "No Humans Involved". I love the slow start to their relationship: Jaime felling awkward and foolish in her crush, Jeremy unaware that the sexy bombshell is interested in him. The duo bond over their terrible parents and later meet in Los Angeles to decide if they are going to pursue a relationship. (They do.) Despite Jaime's early awkwardness it's a very mature relationship and I love the fact that an "older" couple is the hottest couple in the series.

Personal Highlights: "No Humans Involved", "Amytiville Horrible", Jeremy's short story in "Men of the Otherworld", the Cortez Cabal's realization in "13" that if they didn't find a missing Jaime fast they would have a very upset Alpha on their hands

Mercy Thompson & Adam Hauptman from the Mercy Thompson series by Patricia Briggs.

An interesting exception in that the main character isn't meeting their love interest for the first time in the initial book. Mercy and Adam have known each other for close to a decade when we meet the duo in Moon Called. Adam is the definition of a patient hunter. He had declared Mercy his mate before the series begins - Mercy thinks it's only to protect her but I've always she was in denial about his motives. At the start of the series they are combative neighbors and cautious friends but that changes as Adam begins his pursuit in Moon Called. The aspect I love the most about this relationship is Mercy loves Adam, wants to be with him, but is determined to maintain her own sense of self and identity and is afraid she will lose that if she becomes involved with him. Adam's main struggle is in trying to reign in his protective tendencies when Mercy has another crazy adventure.

Personal highlights: Jesse's matchmaking attempts in the first few books, Mercy's continuing quest to annoy Adam by placing a very ugly car in her back yard, Adam's complete trust that Mercy would find Jesse in Moon Called; Mercy taking care of an injured Adam (twice) in Moon Called, Mercy defusing Adam's anger when Jesse is attacked in Blood Bound, Adam picking up Mercy from vamp hunting in Blood Bound; Adam's relief when Mercy returns from the last vamp encounter in Blood Bound; Adam's care of Mercy in the aftermath of the kelpie encounter, Adam's patience and care with Mercy in the aftermath of the fae killer incident, Adam meets Mercy's mother in Bone Crossed, the flashback of Mercy delivering supper to Adam after his divorce; their reunion after Mercy disappears for months in Silver Borne, the wedding and honeymoon in River Marked, the entirety of Frost Burned.

Another couple I love from the Mercy Thompson series is Warren and Kyle. A case of opposites attract - Wild West cowboy meets old money lawyer. A couple that has had their share of trials: Warren's secrecy of being a werewolf and his lack of confidence that Kyle would want to be with him long-term due to the differences in background. The rocky patch they go through when Kyle discovers Warren is a werewolf is due to Kyle's hurt that Warren lied to him than the fact that he is a supernatural.

Personal highlights: Kyle's care of Warren in the aftermath of a demon attack, Warren's defending Kyle from a murderous neighbor, Kyle's determination to be reunited with Warren in "Frost Burned".

More later...

message 6: by Sandra, Need more time to Read!! (new)

Sandra | 4483 comments Love the breakdown Sara, brought back lots of memories!!!

Agree with all of you, Thea Harrison, a little choppy but still good, Dana Marie Bell, one of the best, and Sara's cavalcade of goodness.

Of course, you've got JAK in all of her incarnations, Jayne Ann Krentz, Amanada Quick or Jayne Castle.

I also like Loribelle Hunt with either her shifters or scifi roms. Usually a love soon after meeting kinda alpha, but as they are shortish books, that just makes sense.