Boardwalk Empire discussion

Season 4 > Episode 11: Havre de Grace *SPOILERS*

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Katie (new)

Katie Boyer (katieelaineboyer) | 110 comments Mod
What was your favorite part of last night's episode? What was the most shocking and exciting?

Check out Flavorwire's recap and WSJ's recap.

Can you believe there's only one more episode to go this season?? What do you think will happen?

message 2: by MissSusie (new)

MissSusie Holy cow Mind is Blown!!!! What an amazing episode!! I knew that there was something up with Gillian's boyfriend but never imagined that!But what an amazing scene!

Is Eli going to be the Fredo Corleone of Boardwalk Empire...after that episode I am so curious what the season finale will bring!

message 3: by Katie (new)

yeah the thing with Roy was almost hard to believe though, what an elaborate plan!

message 4: by Emeline (new)

Emeline Oh my god everything with Gillian broke my heart. I knew Roy wasn't going to be legit or something bad would happen to him, but I really didn't see that coming at all. Ugh, Gretchen Mol is fantastic though. From her remembering how awful the orphanage was and the horrors in her own childhood, to finally letting go of Jimmy for Tommy's benefit, to just... ugh, she wants so badly to be happy and it never happens and owwww. Really tugged at my heart strings.

I was not that into the Chalky plotline, actually. As much as I love him and Daughter, it's too late in the season to introduce all these people we've never even heard mentioned before. It slowed things down too much for the penultimate episode.

I can't believe next week is the end... My Sunday nights are going to be so empty! I really hope it's an epic finale. I really want Eli to go through with the plan to gather New York/Atlantic City/Tampa together. I doubt that will happen, now that Nucky is suspicious and "wants out" of Tampa... But still. Nucky, Meyer, Charlie, Masseria, Narcisse, Petrucelli, possibly Sally, and Eli all in one scene... That would be so amazing.

message 5: by MissSusie (last edited Nov 19, 2013 11:04AM) (new)

MissSusie Emeline wrote: "Oh my god everything with Gillian broke my heart. I knew Roy wasn't going to be legit or something bad would happen to him, but I really didn't see that coming at all. Ugh, Gretchen Mol is fantasti..."

Well if it is the end of Gillian and the actress who portrays her Gretchen Mol at least she went out with an Emmy award worthy performance!

message 6: by Katie (new)

yeah it was really crazy to see her so happy and awesome that she admitted Tommy would be better off. I couldn't believe she started telling him that stuff about Roger though, he clearly wasn't into trying to get away with it. She just seemed so sad and desperate.

I agree the Chalky plot line is kind of boring. Wanted something more for the end of the season.

Eli/Nucky/gangster gathering would be awesome though. It's hard to watch Eli be a rat though, I knew I never liked him...

message 7: by Char (new)

Char I think Gillian finally got what she deserved. She molested her own son and killed a guy. She's not very likable! That said, Gretchen Mol has been fantastic in the role. :)
I like the Chalky White story line. I hope his time on the show isn't over.

message 8: by Katie (new)

Charlene - I feel the same way about Gillian, she thought she was going to get away with it! I am still surprised she was caught.

and yeah Chalky is still a great character.

message 9: by Emeline (last edited Nov 19, 2013 03:15PM) (new)

Emeline Yeah, Gillian is definitely a character who has done terrible, awful things. Rape is not okay. Incest is not okay. That goes without saying. But it's so strange to me that this whole plotline was set up to punish her for having killed a man. You can't fault Gillian for killing a man. Basically everyone on this show has killed a man and if they all received justice for it, there wouldn't be anyone left (except like... Margaret and Eddit Cantor). To me, it feels like cognitive dissonance, to punish Gillian for killing one man, when other characters have much higher death counts and the audience is never expected to dwell on that.

message 10: by Katie (new)

good point, they've all done such terrible things!

message 11: by Char (new)

Char That's true. There's not even one wholly good character is there? Even Eli's son killed a guy, though it was by mistake.

message 12: by Ashley (new)

Ashley | 96 comments Can anyone believe the twists and turns this season has made?!?!?
Pure genius....

message 13: by Char (new)

Char Agreed! It has been awesome. I always hate to see the season end, but historically, the final episode of the season has been super awesome, so I'm torn!

message 14: by MissSusie (new)

MissSusie Can anyone start a thread for the latest episode??? I really need to discuss episode 12 Farewell Daddy Blues if I can without weeping??