Romance Lovers for the Challenge-Impaired discussion

Another Chance to Dream (de Piaget,  #1; de Piaget/MacLeod, #5)
This topic is about Another Chance to Dream
Archived: Series Reads > Another Chance to Dream (De Piaget #1), by Lynn Kurland (Start Date: January 13, 2014) [Kurland's Two Series Combo: De Piaget & The MacLeods]

Comments Showing 1-50 of 141 (141 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Phoenix (Online Elf), Moderator (last edited Jan 13, 2014 09:45PM) (new)

Phoenix (Online Elf) | 4358 comments

Another Chance to Dream, by Lynn Kurland

With neither title nor land, Rhys could not win the hand of Gwennelyn of Segrave -- though he would always have her heart. But Gwen was betrothed to another man, and Rhys feared he would lose her forever. But then a surprise offer came his way -- bringing Rhys and Gwen a second chance at love...
❀✿❀✿❀✿❀✿❀✿❀✿❀✿❀✿❀✿❀✿❀✿❀✿❀✿❀✿❀✿❀✿❀✿❀✿❀✿❀✿❀✿❀✿❀✿❀✿

There are several different ways to approach these intertwining series (Kurland's Two Series: De Piaget & The MacLeods). We have decided to go by this one, suggested by
The Window Seat: List of Books (Under spoiler to save space.)
(view spoiler)
Yes! Another series read starting in January. This one is a combination of Medieval Romances and Time Travel. (Some books will not have the Time Travel element.)

Please join us, or just stop in and say, "Hi!" or tell us which cover you prefer. But...

Expect Spoilers!

Please be aware that #1-Another Chance to Dream {Rhys and Gwen's story} and #2-If I Had You {Robin and Anne's story} can be found together as a 2:1 in A Time for Love.

Participants
Anne
Lauren
~Leslie~
Lisa Kay
Susan
Judy
Nichole

Chapter Breakdown
Date		Chapters	PPDQs*
January 13 Chp. 01-11 Lisa Kay
January 14 Chp. 12-22 ~Leslie~
January 15 Chp. 23-32 ??
January 16 Chp. 33-48 ??

message 2: by Phoenix (Online Elf), Moderator (new)

Phoenix (Online Elf) | 4358 comments Reserved.

message 3: by Judy (new)

Judy I would like to join in. I've read most of the time travel books, and would like to re-read them. I haven't read this book before, so it will be new for me.

message 4: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments Great, Judy! We'd love to have you. Welcome.

message 5: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments Please be aware that #1-Another Chance to Dream {Rhys and Gwen's story} and #2-If I Had You {Robin and Anne's story} can be found together as a 2:1 in A Time for Love.

Nichole | 512 comments I would like to join in this one too. Sadly, my library no longer has these. A Time for Love is $12.99 for my Nook. That's easier to swallow being 2 books though, lol.

message 7: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments Yes, Nichole, very true! I ordered A Time for Love in paperback and it came recently. It is sitting on my kitchen table ready to be moved to my night stand.

message 8: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments BTW, welcome, Nichole!

~Leslie~ (akareadingmachine) | 845 comments I'm excited!! Some of the books are not available as ebooks yet, so that will make it a little difficult for me. But I will figure out what to do!

message 10: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments Oh, we'll have to give people warning of those.

message 11: by ~Leslie~ (last edited Nov 19, 2013 11:47AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

~Leslie~ (akareadingmachine) | 845 comments Here are the ones that are only available in paper.

3.This Is All I Ask(paper) {Christopher and Gillian}

5.The More I See You(paper) {Richard and Jessica}

7. A Dance Through Time (MacLeod, #1)(paper) {Jamie and Elizabeth}

8. The Very Thought of You (MacLeod, #2) (paper){Alex and Margaret}

message 12: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments Thanks, ~Leslie~!

message 13: by Phoenix (Online Elf), Moderator (last edited Nov 19, 2013 09:53AM) (new)

Phoenix (Online Elf) | 4358 comments **Psst!** Miss Leslie, This Is All I Ask is going to be our #3.

message 14: by Judy (new)

Judy I think I'm going to get all of these in paper (as we read them.) I have some in paper, some on the Kindle and some I don't have at all. I ordered A Time for Love from Amazon and it will be here Thursday. Not that I'm anxious to get started or anything :)

~Leslie~ (akareadingmachine) | 845 comments Oh you are so right (of course!)Kris!!

Going through the books reminded me of which ones I really loved. Can't wait to read them again. I read them completely out of order so it will be interesting to experience them in order. I remember being slightly confused, especially the first couple I read.

message 16: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) Looking forward to this. I have A Time for Love (De Piaget, #1-2) by Lynn Kurland on my Kobo.

message 17: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments Neat, Judy and Lauren! I'm getting excited, too.

Yes, ~Leslie~, I was remembering my favs by looking at your list. I read them out of order, too, and was confused. This, hopefully, will be good.

message 18: by Susan (susayq ~), Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Susan (susayq ~) (susayq) | 6062 comments I'll have to see which ones I have and which ones I'll need to find. I'm looking forward to this!

message 19: by Susan (susayq ~), Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Susan (susayq ~) (susayq) | 6062 comments Do we have a date for this yet?

~Leslie~ (akareadingmachine) | 845 comments I don't think we've decided on one.

message 21: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments We're doing Harry on the 6th. Should we start this one before or after?

message 22: by ShoSho , Moderator (new)

ShoSho  (shoshost) | 12263 comments When do you want to read this one we can chose between

Jan 2 , 13 ,20 or 27 ?

message 23: by Judy (new)

Judy Since I'll be physically reading this one (instead of the audiobook) any of those dates work for me. The audiobooks take me longer,since I'm not very good at multitasking... :)

~Leslie~ (akareadingmachine) | 845 comments How about the 13th of every month? And I'm with you on the multi tasking and listening, Judy!!

message 25: by Susan (susayq ~), Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Susan (susayq ~) (susayq) | 6062 comments I'm good with the 13th :)

message 26: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments The 13th is fine with me.

message 27: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) 13th is good for me too :0)

message 28: by Judy (new)

Judy The 13th is fine with me!

message 29: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments Neat, Karen L! Welcome.

Nichole | 512 comments Is this still on for the 13th? Is it going to be casual and read at your own pace and comment or are we doing something more formal with questions and stuff?

~Leslie~ (akareadingmachine) | 845 comments I finished my book and actually started it while watching football. I'm not sure what LK has planned. I'm okay with casual and commenting as you go along. But I'm also okay with something more structured.

message 32: by Judy (new)

Judy I just started reading this one-doing the discussion either way is OK with me.

message 33: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments I'm still planning on starting this tomorrow. Let me take a look at the book.

message 34: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (last edited Jan 13, 2014 05:20PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments How does this look?

Chapter Breakdown
Date		Chapters	PPDQs*
January 13 Chp. 01-11 Lisa Kay
January 14 Chp. 12-22 ~Leslie~
January 15 Chp. 23-32 ??
January 16 Chp. 33-48 ??

~Leslie~ (akareadingmachine) | 845 comments Did you mean
January 13
January 14
January 15
January 16

And I can do the second set of questions, LK.

message 36: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments **hee hee** Yes, ~Leslie~! Sorry, I'm starting the New Year late.

Thanks!

message 37: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments FYI, for anyone doing the Double Decker Challenge and listening to this book on audio. It works as a "YY" - author: Lynn Kurland; narrator: Ilyana Kadushin. Too bad I already have mine!

message 38: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments I guess it also works because of the hero, Rhys De Piaget, even if you're not listening to the audio. Hmmm...

Nichole | 512 comments Oh, that's an idea LK! I already read my original YY, lol. Now that it's a quickstop I had plenty to choose from but I will probably get done with this right on time to use it.

I'm pretty new to the Buddy read thing. This is only like my third. So, if it's not too much too ask I would rather not try to come up with questions. I'm not much of a leader and I don't think I would do a very good job, lol. Hope that's okay!

I started this last night but didn't get very far. See, my reading corner is in the living room. I like to be near my husband even if we aren't paying each other any attention. Weird, but that's how we are lol. Anyways, he decided to watch a movie at full freaking volume so I went to the bedroom and promptly fell asleep. I think I read 4 chapters :) So far, I'm really liking it. I love Gwen!

~Leslie~ (akareadingmachine) | 845 comments Totally understand your desire to be near your husband even if you are doing different activities. My husband and I are like that as well.
I know LK will say the same thing, it's fine if you don't contribute questions. I've taken part in several buddy reads and didn't provide questions.
And Gwen's a hoot!

message 41: by Susan (susayq ~), Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Susan (susayq ~) (susayq) | 6062 comments I've got to get some papers together for a parent conference in the morning (the kid is failing, he doesn't bring signed papers BACK to school, he doesn't do work in class, and he's a trouble maker) because his mom just can't understand why he's not doing well. DUH. Anyway, I'll start this after I get that stuff together. :)

message 42: by Teresa (new) - added it

Teresa | 101 comments What is you can't read that fast?

message 43: by Teresa (new) - added it

Teresa | 101 comments Nichole wrote: "I like to be near my husband even if we aren't paying each other any attention."

My sister and brother-in-law are like that. If Wayne doesn't get his "sit-on-the-couch-next-to-Jeannette" time, he gets really cranky. :)

message 44: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments That is fine, Nichole. Not to worry.

Ugh, Susan. Hope to see you soon, though.

~Leslie~ (akareadingmachine) | 845 comments I am subbing tomorrow in 3rd grade. Not sure if I will get any reading time or computer time. I've read up to Chapter 7 so far.

message 46: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments Will you be able to do the DQs, or do you want another day, ~Leslie~?

message 47: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (last edited Jan 13, 2014 09:46PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments Lisa Kay’s Questions for Chapters 1 – 11

1. Woe-hoe! What did you think of that wild ride of Gwennelyn of Segrave’s at the opening? And, if Rhys de Piaget doesn’t want a wife, she’s determined to guard his back, yet she has absolutely no training as mercenary? And she hit him in the nose?! LOL! Oh dear. Comments.

2. Chapter 2 is already a flashback in time. Do you mind when an author does this?

3. BOOK QUOTE:
“Chivalry was a messy business indeed.” Piglets! Rhys truly is a hero! LOL! Do you like him so far? What of his inner thoughts? I really like knowing his inner dialogue. You?

4. What of William, Gwen’s father? He sees her antics as merely adventurous? What do you think? And what insight does Bertram have about his son Alain, that he realizes Gwen and Ryes would be a better match?

5. Well, this is certainly a “heroine in pursuit” theme. What do you think of Gwen setting up the meeting though Sir Montgomery? And on the roof? Rhys promises to rescue Gwen from Alain’s ‘nefarious marriage designs.’ His plans on winning tourneys. Well, it’s early days yet. Whatever will go wrong?

6. Comments on that first kiss? And Good Gravy Beans! Gwen hit Rhys again at the end of Chapter 5! This looks like a trend. As a cover, I don’t think this is very good. Someone might string him up, if they cared about Gwen at all.

7. Finally, we get introduced to Alain. Ugh. I just thought he was just going to be a fool and horse crazy; however, he is equally cruel and jealous. What do you think of him? I can’t say I blame Gwen attempting an escape Ayre, even if it wasn’t that well thought out.

8. Secondary Characters: Any comments on little John of Ayre? The Fitzgerald twins, Connor and Jared? Joanna, Gwen’s mother?

9. FYI, we see Master Socrates’ little granddaughter years later as an old woman in a future book. It is so neat to see her here. Do you think she has the sight? The power to heal?

10. Whatever is Rollan of Ayre up to? I’ll admit I went back to read what he overheard between Rhys and Sir Montgomery. Did he tell Hugh to expect a bribe? (And did Hugh keep it? So Rhys’s gold is gone?) Could Rollan have killed is father? Why have Alain tell Ryes about Wyckam? What does that gain him? Do you believe Rhys really owes Alain one – or make that two now – more years?

11. Ack! What a dilemma for Rhys! Land at the expense of Gwen’s – and his – misery. Will Gwen’s wedding to Alain go through tomorrow? What a place to stop.

~Leslie~ (akareadingmachine) | 845 comments I will work on them today on my free time and hopefully get them posted tonight, if that's okay?

~Leslie~ (akareadingmachine) | 845 comments 1.Gwen cracks me up. I love how she is attempting to take control of her life.

2.Often it annoys me, but in this case I enjoyed it. Gwen makes me laugh.

3.I like Rhys and I enjoy the inner dialogue.

4. I don't get a good sense of her parents at all.

5. I like Gwen's spunk. I think she is very naive however. And I think Rhys is naive as well.

6. I think the trend is that Gwen is all action before thought. And the kiss was so sweet.

Will answer more later.

message 50: by Judy (new)

Judy I think I'm going to "lurk" for this buddy read, if that's OK. I started some online classes and have less time to read. I'm reading this book, but only on Chapter 6- I don't think I can keep up with 11 chapters a day.

« previous 1 3