Love Inspired Historicals discussion

Over the River and Through the Woods!

Comments Showing 1-50 of 50 (50 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lyn (new)

Lyn (lyncote) | 1644 comments Mod
We're heading straight for Thanksgiving. I love that old song. (Do any of you know more of the words?) And I have many happy memories of Thanksgivings past.

Why not share your happiest or most special Thanksgiving memory?

Or your favorite Thanksgiving food?
Let's stir up some happy recollections and juicy details!

message 2: by Regina (new)

Regina Scott (reginascott) | 398 comments Lyn, my mother lived over a mountain pass from us for most of the times my sons were growing up, and we often traveled over the river and through the woods to get to her house for Thanksgiving. We sang that song every time!

Over the river and through the woods
To Grandmother's house we go.
The horse knows the way
To carry the sleigh
Through the white and drifting snow.

Over the river and through the woods
Oh how the wind does blow.
It nips the nose and chills the toes
As over the ground we go.

Thanks for reminding me of those fun times! Looking forward to hearing other's memories.

message 3: by Paula-O (new)

Paula-O (kyflo130) | 2257 comments I have always liked this song too, love the image of a sleigh being pulled through the snow by giant horses. Not many folks visit families the way they used to for the holidays. I remember my in-laws driving to many aunts and uncles houses during the season and sharing gifts. We all went together, My husband son and I along with them. It was fun.

message 4: by Melody (new)

Melody | 2493 comments Thanksgiving was always the day we stayed home, because my mom was the most amazing cook. :) We didn't like going anywhere- we liked family to come to us! :) Also never had grandparents house to go to on my Mom's side. We visited my Grandma once on my dad's side- but since we were not close, for us kids it wasn't fun. Now I am sure I would enjoy visiting... Now that my Mom is gone I have no desire yet for Thanksgiving, I miss her too much. I have no idea what I am going to even do this year... But yes in the past it was always a day of bonding for my Mom and I. I learned to cook by her side, I have dearly cherished memories...

message 5: by Ausjenny (new)

Ausjenny | 4953 comments I never really had a grandmother to visit either. mums mother died before I was born and dads mother was odd and in a home at the end and died when I was about 5.

We don't have thanksgiving here.

Mel I will be thinking of you. At least you have pie night to look forward to and seeing Valri and David

message 6: by Regina (new)

Regina Scott (reginascott) | 398 comments Melody, I'm sure you're going to miss your mom this year, and probably other years to come. I lost my father in January, and I know this holiday season is going to be hard! For me, it's going to be about being thankful for those who are still here and trying not to notice the empty place at the end of the table. I can only imagine how much harder it would be for a mother who was as close as yours. Hugs and prayers!

message 7: by Ausjenny (new)

Ausjenny | 4953 comments Sorry for your loss also Regina.
for me its only been the past couple of weeks I wanted my mum. She passed away Aug last year.
The main reason is the headaches has really been getting me down at times. Last week in the city the noise was sending me mad. I told the dr yesterday I worked out why I wanted my mum and it was because when you are little your mum is there for you when you are sick and will tell you "It's going to be alright". That's what I needed someone to tell me it would be alright. Just before I left yesterday She said to me "Its going to be alright" (She does listen to me and it did make me feel better). I know eventually the dose will be right for the meds I am hoping this latest rise will be enough.

message 8: by Regina (new)

Regina Scott (reginascott) | 398 comments Ausjenny, there is nothing like a mother's touch when you are sick or hurting. Hope the meds even out soon!

message 9: by Ausjenny (new)

Ausjenny | 4953 comments Thanks. I know they will doesn't help having a cold but as the dr said we have plenty of scope with the meds. I just don't really want to have to up them too much. I am told many need 600mg and I am on 400mg now. I feel the cold is improving as I can breathe better today. just need to take it easy

message 10: by Valri (new)

Valri Western | 963 comments I have wonderful memories of Thanksgivings when I was growing up when we would drive to Utah to my grandparents' house. They lived on a farm in a little town near the mountains and it was usually pretty chilly. We lived in Calif. where it was usually warm! My dad was one of 10 siblings so there were tons of people at my grandparents' tiny house and the FOOD - my goodness! SO much homemade food! I can still taste it sometimes. Fantastic memories with so many special relatives and fun activities!

message 11: by Paula-O (new)

Paula-O (kyflo130) | 2257 comments Melody wrote: "Thanksgiving was always the day we stayed home, because my mom was the most amazing cook. :) We didn't like going anywhere- we liked family to come to us! :) Also never had grandparents house to g..."

"LIKE"

message 12: by Melody (last edited Nov 19, 2013 07:21PM) (new)

Melody | 2493 comments Thanks Jenny. Yes, seeing Valri will be the highlight of my week. Okay and David too... ;) Just gotta get through Thanksgiving day...
I know what ya mean about being sick and wanting your Mom. Hugs to you again!

I hear ya, Regina! You have to focus on what ya have, or else loss becomes just too much. I have so many things to be thankful for! I count my blessings often. :)

message 13: by Valri (new)

Valri Western | 963 comments This year my hubby and I are finally going to Thanksgiving at my best friend's! She and her husband live on a big ranch with a big barn where they host a dinner for his family and others. He is one of 12 children - all married with kids - so you can imagine how many people come! My friend has been inviting me for years but we live in another state. This time we are making the trip and taking along our youngest college daughter AND seeing Melody the night before! Can't wait! Wish we could snap our fingers and bring Jenny over too!!

message 14: by Ausjenny (new)

Ausjenny | 4953 comments Valri that would be nice but with my current head issues it may not be wise.

message 15: by Valri (new)

Valri Western | 963 comments Ha ha, Jenny! We would do it very quietly :)

message 16: by Melody (new)

Melody | 2493 comments Well Valri would do it quietly, me on the other hand might need to be bound and gagged to be that quiet. ;)

message 17: by Valri (new)

Valri Western | 963 comments If it would cause Jenny pain, Mel, we would be super quiet or I'd have ti knock you upside the head!

message 18: by Ausjenny (new)

Ausjenny | 4953 comments Oh violence over me not a good look.

message 19: by Lyn (new)

Regina wrote: "Lyn, my mother lived over a mountain pass from us for most of the times my sons were growing up, and we often traveled over the river and through the woods to get to her house for Thanksgiving. We..."

Great!

message 20: by Lyn (new)

Holidays are always hard when we've lost someone we love.

And Jenny it's hard to be upbeat when we feel so miserable.

I'm really enjoying the memories shared here.

I took over doing Thanksgiving when my mom got older. Now most of our family is faraway or gone on.

I will be making the meal for my dh's cousin, his wife and her brother along with the three of us.

I'm looking forward to making pies. And the cousin's wife and I love to go shopping together at the big city an hour away. We're going next Monday!

message 21: by Melody (last edited Nov 20, 2013 02:17PM) (new)

Melody | 2493 comments You have my permission to do whatever to my head, Valri! But for Jenny I think it would make me be good. I kind of love her. ;)

message 22: by Melody (new)

Melody | 2493 comments What kind of pies do you make Lyn? This year I am doing a Reese's pie, lemonade pie, pineapple pie, cran-apple pie, pumpkin pie, and an Oreo pie...

message 23: by Regina (new)

Regina Scott (reginascott) | 398 comments Oh, my, Melody. Can I come to your house for dessert?

message 24: by Ausjenny (new)

Ausjenny | 4953 comments Oh shucks Melody. the pain is less today so hopefully by next week the meds will be right. breathing well that needs work.

message 25: by Ausjenny (new)

Ausjenny | 4953 comments Now if you had a cup cake night I would find a star gate to come.

message 26: by Valri (new)

Valri Western | 963 comments Yum,yum,yum! So glad we are coming!

message 27: by Lyn (new)

Melody wrote: "What kind of pies do you make Lyn? This year I am doing a Reese's pie, lemonade pie, pineapple pie, cran-apple pie, pumpkin pie, and an Oreo pie..."
WOW that's a lot of pies!
I'm just doing Dutch Apple Crumb and butternut squash (pumpkin-like).

message 28: by Christine (new)

Christine Johnson | 1102 comments Melody and Regina, I hope Thanksgiving brings back wonderful memories of your mother and father, respectively. We all know there will come a day when our parents aren't at the thanksgiving table here on earth. My parents have done the thanksgiving meal for the family nearly every year. We tried a couple other things over the years, but it always comes back to going to mom and dad's house. Same this year. I'm going to enjoy them while they're here!

This year's pies are pumpkin, of course, and a Kentucky Derby pie that my sister-in-law is making. I've never had the latter. Does anyone know what it is?

Lyn, I love butternut squash. Does it do well as a pumpkin substitute in pies?

message 29: by Paula-O (new)

Paula-O (kyflo130) | 2257 comments Butterfinger Pie
6 (2 1/8 ounce) butterfinger candy bars, crushed
1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese
1 (12 ounce) carton Cool Whip
1 graham cracker crust
Directions
Mix first three ingredients together.
Put it in pie crust.
Chill.
this is new one that I saw today online and easy to do so might fix this one us as we will just be having a regular meal with turkey breast and yams and mac/cheese along with stuffing-I love stuffing and have to have it for the holidays...

message 30: by Valri (new)

Valri Western | 963 comments Paula, it makes me wish I wasn't allergic to chocolate! Darn! Well, I'm sure those who eat your new recipe will enjoy it! It sure sounds easy which is what cooking at this time of year is all about.

message 31: by Melody (last edited Nov 21, 2013 10:14PM) (new)

Melody | 2493 comments Sure Regina! Always are welcome at my place!!! :)

I go to this place called Cocoa Bean Jenny, and I am totally addicted to their cupcakes! So many awesome flavors, I am trying to thy them all, hehe. So far my favorite is called Love Potion. It's chocolate strawberry, and yeah I am in love with that flavor! :) My sister in law and I are always finding a reason to go to Provo so we can get a cupcake. lol

And Valri, so excited I can hardly stand it! :)

message 32: by Lyn (new)

Christine wrote: "Melody and Regina, I hope Thanksgiving brings back wonderful memories of your mother and father, respectively. We all know there will come a day when our parents aren't at the thanksgiving table he..."

Yes, less stringy pulp and lighter taste. If I don't say it's butternut, people just assume it's really good pumpkin! :-)

message 33: by Lyn (new)

Paula-O wrote: "Butterfinger Pie
6 (2 1/8 ounce) butterfinger candy bars, crushed
1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese
1 (12 ounce) carton Cool Whip
1 graham cracker crust
Directions
Mix first three ingredients togeth..."

SOUNDS YUMMY!!!!!

message 34: by Linda (new)

Linda (rudylkr) | 36 comments Christine wrote: "Melody and Regina, I hope Thanksgiving brings back wonderful memories of your mother and father, respectively. We all know there will come a day when our parents aren't at the thanksgiving table he..."

Derby pie is basically a pecan pie with chocolate chips in it and there might be some bourbon too depending on the recipe. Either way very yummy!

message 35: by Christine (new)

Christine Johnson | 1102 comments Thanks Lyn and Linda for the explanation of the pies. Derby pie sounds really rich!

message 36: by Lyn (new)

Indeed--I made a choccolate pecan pie once and couldn't eat it. Too rich! :-)

message 37: by Paula-O (new)

Paula-O (kyflo130) | 2257 comments I think it is appropiate to put our thanks and hellos for Thanksgiving on this thread of over the River and through the woods to Grandma's house we go....

Hope all have a great Thanksgiving and remember whom sets it all in motion...Thank you God for my family-friends-home and all the food we have today...

message 38: by Regina (new)

Regina Scott (reginascott) | 398 comments Amen, Paula. It's a great day to be thankful for all He has given. And I am very thankful for the kind people I've met through this group. May you all have a wonderful Thanksgiving (and a great day to those who do not celebrate in their countries).

message 39: by Melody (new)

Melody | 2493 comments Yes, so thankful for this group! I love all my friends here so much! :)

message 40: by MaryE (new)

MaryE Stifflemire | 499 comments I hope everyone is having a wonderful Thanksgiving holiday this weekend! I was able to spend the afternoon/early evening with my son and his family. We had a really good dinner and peach, apple and pecan pies. I furnished the pies, but this year I had help from the HEB grocery's bakery. They do make some yummy pies!

message 41: by Ausjenny (new)

Ausjenny | 4953 comments Melody I agree. I hope you all have a great thanksgiving. I was thinking of you (although I did have a gastric bug so wouldn't eaten to much or is it reaction to the meds not sure)

message 42: by Wendy (new)

Wendy Sparkes (wendysparkes) | 340 comments Hope you all had a lovely Thanksgiving. We don't celebrate it here in UK, but I've enjoyed reading all your memories & thoughts on the celebration.

message 43: by Melody (new)

Melody | 2493 comments Thanks Jenny, I managed to have a good weekend. :)

message 44: by Ausjenny (new)

Ausjenny | 4953 comments Im glad

message 45: by Lyn (new)

I'm thankful for this group too. Some authors fear GoodReads because of a few nasty people on the site.
We have a great group.

message 46: by Ausjenny (last edited Dec 02, 2013 11:26AM) (new)

Ausjenny | 4953 comments if any nasty people come here we will send them away with our kindness. Also we are fearcly protective of our author friends.

message 47: by Melody (new)

Melody | 2493 comments That we are Jenny! Fiercely protective and fiercely loyal. :)

message 48: by Ausjenny (new)

Ausjenny | 4953 comments oh thats how its spelt thanks Melody. I tried so hard.

message 49: by Melody (new)

Melody | 2493 comments Hey no worries! I tried it a couple different ways myself. ;)

message 50: by Lyn (new)

Thanks. It's good to know you've got our backs!