The Sundered Book Club discussion

The Godborn > The Godborn - Chapters 6-8

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Chad (new)

Chad Peek (mordrim) | 255 comments Mod
Hello everyone,

Another Monday is upon us, so it is time to read and discuss the next section of The Godborn. This section is a little longer than previous sections but I don't think any of us will complain about doing a little extra reading. :)

I am very curious to see if Gerak's experience while out hunting will be the push he needs to grab his family and get out of Sembia. If so, will they make it?

Vasen had himself a bit of a moment in the fog with the spirits, and now I wonder if anything else will happen with Vasen that could put the pilgrims in danger. He was lucky to have his new friend Orsin along, but will this luck continue?

Sibling rivalry seems to be heating up as Rivalen and Brennus are not seeing eye to eye and Sayeed seems to be pretty disgusted with Zeehad. With Thanksgiving right around the corner I am reminded how thankful I am that my brother is not as evil as I sometimes make him out to be :)

Hopefully in this section we will get a glance into what Mephistopheles has been up to, as well as a chance to check in on Mags and Riven. Oh yeah, there was somebody named Erevis too right? :)

Looking forward to everyone's thoughts.

message 2: by John (new)

John Hayes (jhayes27) | 159 comments This section of the book starts to get really interesting. I can not wait to read eveyones reactions to this section.

message 3: by Daleana (new)

Daleana Lamont taylor | 9 comments Agreed. It really starts picking up the pace from here.

message 4: by Peter (new)

Peter (peterbeckley) Wow, we're getting into some dark territory in these chapters (no Shadovar pun intended). I'm seeing an Orsin/Vasen battle royale against Sayeed/Zeeahd at some point in this book. I'm also not sure where 'safe' is for these pilgrims if the all the lands are starting to experience conflict.

message 5: by Chad (new)

Chad Peek (mordrim) | 255 comments Mod
Dark times indeed. The town of Fairelm has been slaughtered and now Sayeed and Zeehad turn their attention on the Abbey. If Paul was hoping for an emotional response in this section, he definitely got it out of me. I feared for the people in Fairelm and now I can't wait for someone to exact revenge. This part of the book was more moving for me than the Prologue was. Did it take anyone else a while to figure out that the girl that Zeeahd "poisoned" and the beast that Gerak fought were the same person? I know he recognizes her and even says her name, but I completely did not make the connection at first.

It certainly seems like the Oracle is getting ready to sacrifice the Abbey, and possibly even himself, in order to make sure that Vasen does not return and will be forced to find his place in the realm. I agree with Pete that the battle between Orsin/Vasen and Sayeed/Zeehad is inevitable and perhaps this will be the destruction of the Abbey that the Oracle has planned.

Those poor pilgrims. This has been a terribly difficult trip and now with Vasen and Orsin being pulled away, it seems like it may get even tougher for them. I am hoping that these pilgrims do actually make it somewhere "safe". Someone in this story has to have a happy ending right?

Anyone thinking that Rivalen and Brennus's father probably does not have a lot of "Realms #1 Dad" mugs and t-shirts. I am thinking that the apples have not fallen far from the tree in this family.

I was really hoping to get an update on Mags and Riven in this section, but I guess I will have to wait a little bit longer.

message 6: by David (new)

David Schwarm (davidschwarm) | 94 comments Mod
> not sure where 'safe' is for these pilgrims
> if the all the lands are starting to experience
> conflict.
Amen @Paul!

This section takes the "out of the fire pan / into the fire" Fantasy trope to all new levels! There really is no place safe for any of these characters & they are all very expendable in that Game of Thrones kind of way.

I love the Evil in this book--something that I often feel is missing in Fantasy is the sense of very bad people doing very bad things. Think Kittens! Really fantastic stuff.

> I was really hoping to get an update on
> Mags and Riven in this section
Agreed, @Chad--I think that there is a lot going on in the foreground and the background in this book & I have no idea how it all going to come together--but as others have observed things are really excelerating & I have feeling we are going to have one Realm shaking ending [if you know what I mean (and I know that you do!)]...

In terms of favorite character, I am really drawn to Osrin--I think he is the kind of Realms Hero that we need to see in every book--a character that reads very much like a PC, if you know what I mean...Like I can imagine him being played by most of the players at my table & I always like it when D&D Novels include stuff that feels like the stuff I experience at the table.

Really enjoying this book.

message 7: by Dreaming (new)

Dreaming Isis | 78 comments This is the place in the novel when I started to get the "realiness" of The Sundering. Things are moving on such an epic level and the average folk are being tossed around as the gods scramble. These events carry over from the previous trilogy, but they have the kind of "what the F are the gods doing" vibe going on. You know what I mean? You get the sense of how big things are. And how terrifying they are, and will be even more so. It is not terryfying just to the mortals either. Even the gods and godly beings (like arch-fiends) are unsure and scrambling to figure something out.

The Most High has not been shown to have much in the way of emotions, like he has stuffed them down for so long, they just don't exist anymore. There are times when I almost pity him. Almost.