A Song of Ice & Fire Fans discussion

REEK !! For those who read the 5th book

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Shahd (new)

Shahd Alshaibi | 5 comments Oh my Gawd !! Didn't finish the 5th book yet but omg !!! Nearly wretched from the first Reek chapter in the book! Ramsaaay is succcch a sick bastard *cries* made mee SICK howwww did George R. Martin wrriiiiiite that chaapter *sobs*

I've been wondering am i drama queen of what sort or is it normal!!? for those who read it whaat was your reaction after reading it xD

message 2: by Rose (new)

Rose (happyagain) It was pretty fucking disturbing. It was intresting though. The mental tranformation that Reek goes through is pretty horrifying and hard to read.

message 3: by Rainer (new)

Rainer Dela Cuesta (delacuesta) | 19 comments Reek, Reek, it rhymes with meek.

message 4: by Gordon (new)

Gordon  (gmonie) | 81 comments It def. shows the depravity of Ramsey's mind but I think GRRM has plans for REEK to perhaps redeem himself in the future ;)

message 5: by Nelson (new)

Nelson | 320 comments I like them, Those are the best chapters in the book, IMO.

message 6: by Jon (new)

Jon | 5 comments Reek, Reek it rhymes with weak.

message 7: by Amber (new)

Amber (ivorydoom) | 835 comments Yah, I would say I'm forever traumatized as well.

Everytime someone says a word that rhymes with Reek it sorta ruins my day.

My opinion, they're is no redeeming Reek for me, the only good thing that can happen to Reek is to die. The end. Lets never discuss this again GRRM. NEVER....EVER.

message 8: by Jolene (new)

Jolene | 15 comments Reek gives definition to the term "medieval torture chamber."

message 9: by Gordon (new)

Gordon  (gmonie) | 81 comments I mean he's a total waste of air Amb's but didn't he already helped Jeyne Poole 'Arya' escape? Granted the level of betrayal that Theon did causes everyone to hate his skinny ass, Stannis will end up prob executing him, but I love the 'behind the scenes' planning Stannis uses Mance & other wilding a to do...if Stan doesn't kill him & Jon bumps into him he will join Janus Flynt as another notch on Longclaw.

message 10: by Amber (new)

Amber (ivorydoom) | 835 comments Yes, there is good to Reek. There was good to Theon too in my opinion. I actually preferred Theon, even if he betrayed the Starks, yah that sucks or whatever, but they're kinda idiots anyway most the time. Reek's too disgusting for my overactive imagination. End of Story.

Just don't even want to imagine him ever again.
I was a bit annoyed when they included so many scenes of his torment in the show actually. But at the same time, Alfie Allen has really rocked Theon so I'm glad they didn't let him go for a season and risk having to recast. (Even though they actually should recast probably)

message 11: by Mitali (new)

Mitali | 117 comments The torture of Reek/Theon is pretty awful in the book (and WAY overdone on the show, but that's beside the point)... but tbh, I got so tired of Theon's constant 'Reek, reek, it rhymes with _eek' bit by the end, that I really couldn't feel any sympathy for him any more, and just wanted him to die already.

message 12: by Ignacio (new)

Ignacio Hermosilla | 7 comments IMO Reek is GRM to show us the cruelty and harshness that these characters experience and how everyone will eventually pay the consequences of their actions.
Thoen has now become Reek and I don't think he can turn back, the damage donee is to great. What I am most interested in is the role he will play on the next book. He seems like a very pivotal character, and I would be surprised if he gets a small part on the events to come.
Any thoughts?

message 13: by Amber (new)

Amber (ivorydoom) | 835 comments IMO Reek is GRM to show us the cruelty and harshness that these characters experience and how everyone will eventually pay the consequences of their actions.

Personally, I don't care for Reek, but I feel like GRRM made a very interesting move in portraying this character, because instead of portraying the affects of sexual assault and torment through the eyes of a woman, which is all too common in speculative fiction, he portrayed them through the eyes of a man, which is still, in my opinion of course, a very taboo thing to do in our culture. I've seen a lot of ranting about how GRRM doesn't address the affects of things like rape in his POV characters enough, but personally, I think those people are either very short sighted, closed minded, or haven't read the entire text. Many exclude Reek's POV in this aspect because they don't truly believe a man can be the victim of sexual deviancy, whether they want to admit it or not, but truly this POV character portrays that very strongly and significantly. So much so that it turns peoples stomachs, makes them not want to read it. Which is, in my opinion, realistic writing and brings this cultural taboo to the forefront. I didn't even realize how prejudice I was personally until reading this POV even though I don't enjoy it, at all, whatsoever.

message 14: by Kat (new)

Kat (katsobsession) | 141 comments I got to ask GRRM about tearing Theon down to build Reek, and then building Theon back up. He said it was one of the more interesting challenges of writing book 5.

I enjoyed the Reek parts, thought it was wonderful writing, and scary enough to make me shiver.

message 15: by Anand (new)

Anand Prakash | 1 comments Nelson wrote: "I like them, Those are the best chapters in the book, IMO."

i agree !! :P

message 16: by Deeptanshu (new)

Deeptanshu | 27 comments Obviously the Bolton family needs to be eradicated post haste.
Frankly I dont see how they lasted this long.

message 17: by Taylor (new)

Taylor (leolachante) | 1 comments As to how they've survived so long, didn't Roose say it has been wise to keep hobbies private and a polite face on? House Bolton is good at tricking and hiding, but for Ramsay.

message 18: by Amber (new)

Amber (ivorydoom) | 835 comments Pretty much I think Taylor has it.

They're from the North, Basically Ned ran that whole place and no one else paid it any mind until we come into the story. Ned had his hands full with his own area and family from what I would guess, plus no one was straight up vilifying Roose, so no need to check in.

As for Ramsay, he was only a bastard peasant until a few years before the War of the Five Kings when he was informed of his true parentage and murdered his half brother. He was imprisoned for a while in Clash of Kings as well until Theon set him free.

message 19: by Suad (new)

Suad Ali (suadali) | 1 comments Rekk definitely deserved what happened to him after what he did, but still Ramsay is really a hell of a sick bastard but definitely added a new, twisted, sick yet dark and so interesting taste to the book.

message 20: by N (new)

N | 234 comments I get to a point where I'm desensitised to it, I was more horrified by the death of Lady in book one, I skipped those pages second read and fast forward on the show.