All About Books discussion

Nightmare Abbey
This topic is about Nightmare Abbey
The 100 Best Novels > Week 9 - Nightmare Abbey by Thomas Love Peacock

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jenny (last edited Nov 25, 2013 08:31AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jenny (jeoblivion) | 4869 comments Week 9 is here and brings us Nightmare Abbey by Thomas Love Peacock.

From the article:

"Nightmare Abbey, like Frankenstein (no 8 in this series), appeared in 1818. Strangely, it was also inspired by Shelley, who was friends with Peacock. His satire, however, was lighthearted and whimsical and a kind of in-joke. There's no way of knowing if Peacock had actually read Mary Shelley's novel, but Nightmare Abbey makes a nice counterpoint, and speaks of the importance of a new audience.
Nightmare Abbey is amazingly allusive, with references to Shakespeare, Pope, Pliny and Goethe, among many others.
The plot of Nightmare Abbey is cardboard-thin, and concerns the romantic ditherings of Scythrop Glowry between two love objects, Marionetta and Stella. This parodies the difficulties of Shelley's relations with Harriet Westbrook and Mary Godwin, but the real pleasure of the novel lies in Peacock's inimitable style, the exaggerated dialogue and the entertaining songs, and the delight he takes in poking fun at the romantic movement. Shelley himself was nothing but generous in his response. "I know not how to praise the lightness, chastity and strength of the language of the whole. It perhaps exceeds all your works in this."

Read the whole article here

and more about Thomas Love Peacock here and here The latter also has some of his poems.

LauraT (laurata) | 13144 comments Mod
THe first novel I not only haven't read, but also haven't even heard of!!!
Now I HAVE to read it!!!!

message 3: by Shirley (new)

Shirley | 4177 comments I've not heard of it, either!

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

Nope, never heard of it! Sounds quite interesting actually

Leslie | 15985 comments Another reader who hasn't heard of this book or author!! Hard to imagine that this is really one of the top 100 best English-language novels if none of us have even heard of it...

Jenny (jeoblivion) | 4869 comments Oh that's interesting, I assumed that it would be more known in the English language world. I didn't know it existed either, but I agree, it does sound very much worth a read.

Pink I've never heard of it either, which makes it all the more intriguing

Hey, shall we programme a readalong - or even better a group read for next year?
It could be decided as the next classic read starting in January, skipping for once the nomination.
What do you day?

Pink I wouldn't mind doing this

message 10: by Gill (new) - rated it 4 stars

Gill | 5720 comments I saw a play version of this a long time ago, but I've not read the book.

Leslie | 15985 comments LauraT wrote: "Hey, shall we programme a readalong - or even better a group read for next year?
It could be decided as the next classic read starting in January, skipping for once the nomination.
What do you day?"

I do like this idea, but we should probably ask in a more active discussion... I downloaded this book from Project Gutenberg last night, so I am ready!

Yes, I think you're right Leslie. Let's open a new discussion in the Group Read - fiction Folder. I'm now going out. I can do it later on today or tomorrow morning ...

Amber (amberterminatorofgoodreads) I haven't heard of it either but will read it with you guys in January as it is in my aldiko reader on my android tablet now. :)